DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Running DM and player windows on ONE computer

I'm on the free version right now and I was doing some experimenting in order to determine what VTT would work best for me. I opened up FG as DM and loaded the 5E demo campaign. I then opened a second instance of FG and tried to connect to "localhost" as the players and it surprisingly worked.

Here's the plan. I want run the campaign from one computer connected to a normal monitor and a projector. I'd have my DM FG client showing on my private monitor while the players FG client would be up on the projector. Here are some questions:

1. Do I need anything but the free version if I know the players FG client can connect to the DM FG client by typing "localhost" in the IP address bar?

2. Can the players FG client handle multiple player characters and tokens? The idea is to plug an extra mouse in so each player can individually move his token around the battle map up on the projector on their turn in combat.

3. I plan on running the Acquisitions Incorporated adventure (with modifications). Do I still need to buy the PHB module so my players can create their characters? Or is just buying the AI module enough?

Welcome to the FG forums @magcynic!

Some quick answers:

1) You'll need at least a Standard license - you won't be able to save the campaign data, nor load the Acquisitions Incorporated DLC data without a Standard license.

2) Yes, one player instance can handle multiple tokens and PCs. I don't think using two mice on the same computer is a good idea. If you have a second computer connected to the projector that you could use for the players, that would be better. You can connect just one demo license instance (and no other player instances) to a GM standard license and still save campaign data etc..

3) It really all depends how much of the PCs you're going to have setup in FG. As the players won't have unrestricted access to the data (i.e. the the most one keyboard and mouse if you run a second computer) then having lots of PC data has limited use. Assuming you're primarily using FG to display a digital battle map and maybe manage initiative in the player view.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    1) You'll need at least a Standard license - you won't be able to save the campaign data, nor load the Acquisitions Incorporated DLC data without a Standard license.
    I've been doing further experimentation and finally figured this out, too. I was wondering why I couldn't save anything until I realized, oh right, free edition.

2) Yes, one player instance can handle multiple tokens and PCs. I don't think using two mice on the same computer is a good idea. If you have a second computer connected to the projector that you could use for the players, that would be better. You can connect just one demo license instance (and no other player instances) to a GM standard license and still save campaign data etc..
    I was looking at the FG/Roll20 comparison PDF and I found it weird that the Standard license can host an offline demo instance but the Ultimate license can't. Do I have that right? That's strange.

3) It really all depends how much of the PCs you're going to have setup in FG. As the players won't have unrestricted access to the data (i.e. the the most one keyboard and mouse if you run a second computer) then having lots of PC data has limited use. Assuming you're primarily using FG to display a digital battle map and maybe manage initiative in the player view.
    I'd like to handle as much data in FG as possible (for automation purposes) so I'd imagine that means I have to splurge for the PHB at least, right?

Final question, if we're ALWAYS going to be playing in the same room with two screens, is there any reason to get the Ultimate license?

Quote Originally Posted by magcynic View Post
    I was looking at the FG/Roll20 comparison PDF and I found it weird that the Standard license can host an offline demo instance but the Ultimate license can't. Do I have that right? That's strange.
    I guess you refer to that point, "Can Host Game Offline (LAN Game)"? That is for offline games, then only players with a license can connect to each other as far as I know Thence, for offline games the ultimate looses its advantage to allow free demo users (because the FG server can not be called to do a license check as it normally does when a demo user connects). But I am on your side that the chart is a bit misleading there; I think that the ultimate has this information ("can't host free users") because it normally does while the standard never has this option (except when you only have exactly one player for an online game) Indeed, it can be a bit misleading when the standard license does not have this information mentioned for offline games

No that's incorrect. A Standard license can host one demo license and only that one client. If any other license type joins then the demo user gets kicked. A Standard License can also host any number of Standard or Ultimate license holder clients. An Ultimate license can host any number of demo, standard or ultimate license holders.

The only reason to get an Ultimate license would be if you intend to host more than one demo license. It doesn't matter where that client is situated - either on LAN or external - it is the number of free clients connecting that is the main factor.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I think I understand now. I think I'll buy the Standard license, PHB module, and Acquisitions Inc. adventure module. One final question, though. If I buy these on Steam, is there a way to link my Steam account to download all this stuff from the Fantasy Grounds website, too?

I think I understand now. I think I'll buy the Standard license, PHB module, and Acquisitions Inc. adventure module. One final question, though. If I buy these on Steam, is there a way to link my Steam account to download all this stuff from the Fantasy Grounds website, too?
    Everything gets downloaded from Smiteworks no matter where you buy it. Instructions on how to sync your SW and Steam accounts here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...count_To_Steam
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Also note that unless you are getting regional pricing from Steam, if you buy the items from the Smiteworks store it's better for the developers. Valve takes a 30% cut (unless this has changed recently).

Quote Originally Posted by Nylanfs View Post
    Also note that unless you are getting regional pricing from Steam, if you buy the items from the Smiteworks store it's better for the developers. Valve takes a 30% cut (unless this has changed recently).
    Yep. If I get everything synced up I'll just buy all future content/adventures from FG directly. Valve has enough money already.

Also there is a manual FG license sync with Steam every 6ish weeks, so if you buy here you can eventually add it to your Steam library.

Thread Information