5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Protection from Poison Spell

Hello,
    my druid casted Protection of Poison onto a character today. It noted ADVSAV: poisoned in the effect, but no matter which saving throw he rolled, it was with advantage. Is that intended? Which sense does the "poisoned" make then?

Not sure whether it there is a way to make it work at the moment.

This post suggests making it a con save and toggling it on/off as a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by D3nnis3n View Post
    Hello,
    my druid casted Protection of Poison onto a character today. It noted ADVSAV: poisoned in the effect, but no matter which saving throw he rolled, it was with advantage. Is that intended? Which sense does the "poisoned" make then?
    You can't set up an effect against a condition; so the effect you have is ignoring the poisoned part and just looking at the ADVSAV which means advantage to any save.

The way to do this is to click the ADV button just before a saving throw is required. Usually the save against poison is indeed a constitution save; so you could place an effect of ADVSAV: constitution and set it to expire on next roll.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I didn't set that effect up, that was the default effect. Maybe it should be fixed then.

Quote Originally Posted by D3nnis3n View Post
    I didn't set that effect up, that was the default effect. Maybe it should be fixed then.
    FG uses a built in system which tries to interpret the words used in a spell to create the effect. It isn't foolproof and will give a strange result every so often - this being one of them. I could play about with the wording of the spell to see if I can make it not show the advantage against being poisoned; but it is useful to have that showing on the CT so that the character knows that they have such an advantage.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

A big issue is that Fantasy Grounds gives near zero information on such behaviour. Often we use spells and see they do not at all do what they are supposed to do. In that case i'd either expect it not having a cast (or any) button at all or some additional info in the spell for FG that tells me how i have to use it in FG and what i have to do manually exactly. Or when i have to drag an effect where and how i use it. It's really hard to get that, not fun at all actually. It would even more be okay if the spells didn't have automations to begin with. But them showing some automation with no hint how far it works and how i have to do the rest just causes us a lot of time searching and trying around each time, until i do it manually anyway.

Sorry for the criticism

It can be frustrating learning new software.

There is a lot of information on effects here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/...php/5E_Effects

And these videos may also be useful https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Videos-for-5E

Once you get a good handle on what can and can’t be done with effects you’ll pick up on the created effects when spells etc are dragged in that aren’t maybe quite right.

Sorry, but that has nothing to do with "learning software". The software - in this regard - is just poorly executed.
    It feels extremely disrespectful to me as ultimate license customer that you are pretty much publicly stating i'm too dumb to use your software, while it clearly has flaws that could be corrected if you wanted.

Also, please note, the linked Wiki article says that there either is an effect (working) or none at all, in case there is none required or Fantasy Grounds is not able to generate one. (Which is fine) It does not state that a lot of effects are there, but not working correctly.

I didn’t in any way imply that you were too dumb to use the software. That was not the intention of my post and I apologise if you somehow read that into it.

I agree that the effect in this spell should not really be there, and as I said I will have a look at wording it in such a way that it doesn’t create that effect. The parser does a great job in most cases but it does sometimes break down. It isn’t perfect but is a whole lot better than nothing at all.

I'm also sorry for my last post. But indeed, if you - directly after some criticism that was meant friendly - just outright answer with "It can be frustrating learning new software." with nothing else in regards to my criticism it definately does imply to me that you pretty much state i'm too dumb to use the software as it should be used and need to learn it. Maybe that's due to english not being my native language, but if we had the same situation in my native language, everyone would have understood it that way. That just made me really angry cause i did pay quite some dollars for a product that i really do like but have a single issue with.

I also agree that it is a whole better than nothing. I do agree to that for all effects. But in those cases (and this is not the first i occured, i have that issue on every sunday session with new spells) someone using the software needs to be able to get a clear understanding that the effect is not working as you would expect it, but that you rather have to use it like X. If the description stated "Fantasy Ground cannot apply the Effect to only work when the player gets hit by a spell that wants a con-save for posion, as it is not able to identify that the spell does cause poison damage. Please disable the effect automatically added and enable it when an applicable saving throw is required" it would be totally okay. But it doesn't and despite posting here in the forums, without deep understanding of the effects system i'm in no way able to understand how it works without trial and error. And that's something i should not learn, that's why i get software to take work off me. It doesn't need to take all or most work off me, but if it does things, it should explain to me how i have to use them correctly. Even if the usage is totally complicated, as long as its described, it's totally fine.

Sorry again.

Thread Information