DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Goodbyes, revolts, tantrums or desire for attention?

I don't know exactly what happened, for a former member of the community to want to go out and revolt so much that he excludes what he created ...
    But I just think that all shortcuts, posts created, topics related to the material should be excluded by moderates, community administrators ...
    Because seeing something that will not favor anything ... I just see it as something unnecessary.
    And yes I mean DULUX-OZ.
    And understand that I am not judging, but just thinking ... for having a post of material that doesn’t exist, because I imagine that when someone does something for the "free" community first it is because they felt the need for what they created and second is the way to implement an improvement to the platform he adopted to conduct his RPG sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by yako2020 View Post
    I don't know exactly what happened
    But apparently still felt the need to characterise it as a tantrum or a desire for attention.

I've read your post four times and still have no idea what it is you're actually saying should happen.

For the record, I don't know what happened either.
    Last edited by Ampersandrew; January 26th, 2020 at 15:38. Reason: silly typo.

I've removed the links to his extensions in the 5e and CoreRGP list of extensions.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Every community member who submits/posts content is legally allowed to put whatever license they wish on their content. And legally speaking, if someone does not explicitly list a license or terms, they actually then retain all rights to their content. That is copyright law in the US, most of Europe and most other first world countries. What that means is that if someone posts something, it is illegal for you to redistribute it without their written permission and they can revoke it at will.

Since the SmiteWork's website is hosted (as far as I know) in the US, and the company is registered in the US, then my understanding is that US law applies.

Now, everything Dulux-Oz had posted on the forums and elsewhere was posted with a specific license, that explicitly stated the terms of his contributions. No one, except a court of law, gets to take those rights away from him. So if he wishes to remove his content, he is legally and morally entitled to do so.

You might say, "Hey, someone else had taken down their contributions but those got restored, how come this is different?" That's because that person had specifically posted their content with a open/public license, the GPL if I remember correctly, which states that terms of how that content can be handled, and it explicitly states that distribution of content under that license can not be revoked and it can be freely redistributed by others as long as the license stays with the content.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Would it be prudent for a moderator to add a note to post #1 of each of the DOE extension threads explaining that the downloads for those are no longer available?

Blog Entries
    You should also spend some time contemplating the situation from the other side of the coin.

If Dulux feels he's been dealt with unfairly, I most certainly do support his right to pull anything he's done (for free) that in some way helps and supports the company he feels handled whatever the situation was incorrectly.

That end users are inconvenienced is absolutely unfortunate, but its collateral damage in many ways.

The other end of the spectrum, the license that says anything you make for free and share becomes company property... well I think you'd see community contributions dry up significantly. My opinion at least.

It's a shame but none of us are in a position to build any bridges or mend any fences. Sometimes the situation is a lose-lose-lose outcome where nothing you do is really all that satisfying.

Dulux's posts were always well thought out and coherent... which is more than could be said for the complainer/instigator of this whole drama (which I also dislike being inserted into my hobby space... but what can you do?).
    Last edited by JohnD; January 26th, 2020 at 19:17.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by notrealdan View Post
    Would it be prudent for a moderator to add a note to post #1 of each of the DOE extension threads explaining that the downloads for those are no longer available?
    Done.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It is also known that Dulux's sold modules on DMS guild that made use of the free extensions he pulled out.

Does he have the rights to sell those extensions there, or even include with the sound module purchase? Because from my point of view, anyone who bought it now can't make use of that module (unless Dulux provides them with the DOE Sounds)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr0W View Post
    It is also known that Dulux's sold modules on DMS guild that made use of the free extensions he pulled out.

Does he have the rights to sell those extensions there, or even include with the sound module purchase? Because from my point of view, anyone who bought it now can't make use of that module (unless Dulux provides them with the DOE Sounds)
    I've asked Dulux what his plans are and he may post a response.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I've asked Dulux what his plans are and he may post a response.
    Thank you. When he answers, please let me know. I want to support him whichever way I can. He has done a lot for the community and deserves it.

Thread Information