STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 9 First ... 23456 ... Last

I am just giving up. Xfinity and their change is driving me up a wall. I fixed the port forwarding. I disabled and I even enables the advanced security features. I checked my firewall. I checked my virus. I uninstalled and reinstalled. I even went to my old PC and it wont update and has not updated since Xfinity made these asinine changes.

I am not an expert. I am completely turned off by this. I feel like I wasted my money on the kick starter and I am just over with this and I am going to give up on playing online. thanks for trying to help Damned. I just do not have the patience to do this.

As always, a good VPN can resolve this. Yes, it may be an extra cost. Some may use one already, some may need one just for times like this. But when doing your research, just make sure your VPN service has the ability to do their own port forwarding. A VPN basically 'tunnels' through your providers security and firewalls typically, routing all its traffic through one encrypted connection through a dedicated socket/port. Yeah, I know this isn't a 100% detailed and technically accurate breakdown, but it illustrates the point.

But your VPN only hands off the info to your computer bypassing any snooping or security in the middle, it doesn't ignore your firewalls or blocking. Your local PC still has to have the proper port (1802) open to receive the FG data. And some VPNs block most ports for your protection. So, make sure your VPN also has a port forwarding or opening option. My personal choice of VPN has dedicated servers that are 100% port forwarded, meaning when I connect to that specific server, every single port that is used on the remote side is the exact same port it will use on my side, with no blocking. I only add this because I have seen quite a few people move to a VPN to get around Xfinity issues, only to be disappointed that their new VPN didn't get the job done.

This is why. A VPN that does port forwarding is the key.
    i3ullseye

~ You're pretty good, but me? I'm magic!

Ultimate License holder

Blog Entries
    The VPN has to Port Forward the specific port being TCP 1802 and in FGU case UDP 1802. So its not just port forwarding. Its forwarding of the specific port unless yo have players append their executable path in the shortcut properties. There is a post called Port Forward Alternatives that includes known to be working solutions.

FYI - You might have to restart your modem after you make any changes. I couldn't log in until I rebooted my modem.

We used a VPN so that I could just log in after disabling the advanced security and even doing the port forwarding for 1802 failed.

Once I could log in and actually update we made an attempt to do a local game and that failed. Even my friend an IT expert was amazed at how backwards this was. We did a cloud game and people could connect.

I will say if this is what new purchasers of Unity will have to go through just to log in and update the game you might get a lot of frustrated new customers who will give up in favor of other methods of playing online.

I am happy this is working now but I was not a very happy camper.

thanks for those who tried to help.

Frank

Blog Entries
    There was a new networking update released.
    Everyone in your group should update to the newest build 2020-04-04
    If your FGU doesnt show that after updating you might have to uninstall and reinstall again from a new webinstaller.
    So long as you havent pointed your Data and Program files at the same folder manually that should be safe to do.

There may still be some issues causing by the whole Comcast/Cox/Xfinity advanced security that are being investigated.

I am a network engineer by trade. This is the most frustrating thing ever. I would never have imagined that my ISP would block configured services on a device that I paid for. Thanks for posting this. Time to find a new ISP!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teyduoncaar View Post
    I am a network engineer by trade. This is the most frustrating thing ever. I would never have imagined that my ISP would block configured services on a device that I paid for. Thanks for posting this. Time to find a new ISP!
    Its a bit of both - they are trying to protect users too as most have no idea how bad the internet is - but yes very painful when it blocks you from doing things you should be able to do.
    Did you try unblocking through the web interface?

Thread Information