5E Character Create Playlist

An Odd DB.XML Problem - Unlike any I've had Before

Today just after building a PC with the D&D 5e wizard for FGC, I got a line 22 error in db.xml. The next time I launched that campaign I received the expected corruption warning about DB.XML. In the past when I've had those errors, I've just had to click the warning message the next time I launched that campaign and after that I wouldn't receive it anymore. This time however, the warning message persisted and each time it would suggest a new db.backup XML to rename to DB.XML. No matter which file I used (all had the same creation date and time), FGC would error on exit. Since all I did today was create a PC for which I coincidentally had done an XML char export shortly before receiving the error, I figured it'd be best if I just restored a db.backup XML file from yesterday. While that solved the error I was receiving on exit, I still get the DB.XML corruption warning message on startup. Meanwhile, I was able to successfully import my new PC XML file and the campaign appears to be working fine.

My players and I are going to be cutting over to FGU soon; haven't done it yet as I've only owned it since Late Nov and wanted to test my 5 existing campaigns which use different rulesets. So...since I'm going to have to eventually recopy my 5e campaign again, I though I'd just copy it to my FGU \Campaign folder to see if it'd launch. Well it launched from FGU without any error or warning messages. Although a dialog box with a button is briefly flashed on the screen, which for the life of me I can't remember if it was displaying previously. It certainly doesn't pause the loading of that 5e campaign.

Since my 5e campaign seems to be fine, I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a way for me to stop the DB.XML corruption warning from displaying in FGC?

[edit] BTW, I do have a backup of the original errant DB.XML file which I copied to a backup folder.
    Last edited by kronovan; December 14th, 2020 at 22:56.

Quote Originally Posted by kronovan View Post
    Today just after building a PC with the D&D 5e wizard for FGC, I got a line 22 error in db.xml. The next time I launched that campaign I received the expected corruption warning about DB.XML. In the past when I've had those errors, I've just had to click the warning message the next time I launched that campaign and after that I wouldn't receive it anymore. This time however, the warning message persisted and each time it would suggest a new db.backup XML to rename to DB.XML. No matter which file I used (all had the same creation date and time), FGC would error on exit. Since all I did today was create a PC for which I coincidentally had done an XML char export shortly before receiving the error, I figured it'd be best if I just restored a db.backup XML file from yesterday. While that solved the error I was receiving on exit, I still get the DB.XML corruption warning message on startup. Meanwhile, I was able to successfully import my new PC XML file and the campaign appears to be working fine.

My players and I are going to be cutting over to FGU soon; haven't done it yet as I've only owned it since Late Nov and wanted to test my 5 existing campaigns which use different rulesets. So...since I'm going to have to eventually recopy my 5e campaign again, I though I'd just copy it to my FGU \Campaign folder to see it it'd launch. Well it launched from in FGU without any error or warning messages. Although a dialog box with a button is briefly flashed on the screen, which for the life of me I can't remember if it was displaying previously. It certainly doesn't pause the loading of that 5e campaign.

Since my 5e campaign seems to be fine, I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a way for me to stop the DB.XML corruption warning from displaying in FGC?

[edit] BTW, I do have a backup of the original errant DB.XML file which I copied to a backup folder.
    Never seen it before unless I had an extension corrupt it. Remember, db.xml is just and xml file - if something (code) puts in a badly formatted tag - or something times out or goes wrong while writing to the file - then you will be left with bad .xml parsed data (or unguarded special characters that xml will not like). When this happens you should copy off the db.xml and find out what the data is then describe what you did exactly to get it to happen and send that information to SmiteWorks. Unless you have extensions - then you need to TURN THEM ALL OFF before you try to duplicate this as most extensions are not going to port over to FGU unless they have specifically been made to do so (and visa versa). Then try to duplicate it again. If it can't be duplicated it was an extension. Turning them back on one at a time and trying to duplicate it will then find which one.
    Last edited by SilentRuin; December 14th, 2020 at 23:01.
    Free(Forums/Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):
    Paid (Forge) Extension(FGU 5E):

Today just after building a PC with the D&D 5e wizard for FGC, I got a line 22 error in db.xml...

So what is at line 22 of the db.xml (edit with notepad++ or some other text editor).

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    So what is at line 22 of the db.xml (edit with notepad++ or some other text editor).

This:

<imageref type="windowreference">
    <class></class>
    <recordname></recordname>
    </imageref>

This:
    It's a blank image reference. I suppose it must not like it. If you delete that complete tag does it then work? And if it then works - can you duplicate it again to put in in there? Then providing you have no extensions loaded you have enough to pass onto smiteworks. I have to wonder though if your PC creation is some how referencing some portrait or image that is not accessible. Are the proper modules all loaded in from your library?

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Yep - upload teh whole file or the first 22 lines please.
    The DB.XML warning message in FGC is no longer being displayed on startup - yeah!

My data folders are on a standard HDD and I ran error checking just in case. With the error no longer occurring, I have to assume at this point that I may have experienced some actual file corruption. My campaign works fine now and everything I've added recently is there and accessible. As to extensions, the only ones I had enabled were the Official D&D theme and a custom logo extension. I immediately disabled both of those when the error 1st appeared, but still got the DB.XML corruption warning. However, my campaign loads fine now with both or those extensions re-enabled. As to potential FGU incompatibilities with that custom extension, I've been giving it a thorough testing in FGU with different rulesets and haven't had any errors yet.

And yes I know this is strange and it's not something I've experienced previously either.

[Edit] BTW, many thanks for all the suggestions and feedback.
    Last edited by kronovan; December 14th, 2020 at 23:51.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRuin View Post
    I have to wonder though if your PC creation is some how referencing some portrait or image that is not accessible. Are the proper modules all loaded in from your library?
    Sorry, but I replied to Damned before I saw your last reply.

For that PC I used a token from 1 of the Devin Knight Tome of Beasts packs and 1 of the portraits from Pathfinder Iconic Portraits pack. I've made countless PCs, Monsters and NPCs using the Devin Knight packs and never had any issues - and by countless, I mean 100's. For the PF Iconic portraits however, I don't own the PF1e ruleset and I don't use those portraits that often. I always figured those portraits were just feebies that came with core FGC. If something has changed with that though, it doesn't seem to be producing errors, as I just changed that PCs portrait a number of times to others in that iconic pack and didn't experience any errors.

Thread Information