FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 23 of 25 First ... 132122232425 Last
    For instance looking at several of the creature chat triggers, snakes, spiders for instance, the wording is;

^[Ss]nake$
    ^[Ss]nake%W
    %W[Ss]nake$
    %W[Ss]nake%W

Would I go far wrong copying this in most instances?

Quote Originally Posted by Oladahn View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked.

Really enjoying using this extension, using it in 'anger' later this month.

I am interested in using the advanced LUA patterns for chat triggers but really don't want to go through learning all the tedious ins and outs of learning LUA.

Is there a lazy persons/idiots guide to using a limited set of commands as used in the chat triggers?
    For the chat triggers, your options are to use simple exact match triggers or the advanced lua patterns.

For the simple patterns, it is an exact match of the text. This means the trigger has to be exact in spelling, capitalization, spaces, etc.
    For the advanced patterns, you can do a whole lot more but it requires more time and effort to figure out how to use them.

If you dont have it, and are playing 5e, I do have a chat triggers module for sale with about 800 prebuilt triggers for various spells, attacks, etc. I've had many people use that as a basis for learning the more advanced pattern matching methods.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

I'm absolutely loving this extension, thanks MK.
    One small issue I'm having though... I'm not seeing the option to allow GM rolls to be hidden but still trigger sounds as described in the instructions. This is what I see:
    Screenshot 2022-01-11 083457.jpg
    Has that option been deprecated?
    My version is 21, downloaded from the Forge a couple of days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    For the chat triggers, your options are to use simple exact match triggers or the advanced lua patterns.

For the simple patterns, it is an exact match of the text. This means the trigger has to be exact in spelling, capitalization, spaces, etc.
    For the advanced patterns, you can do a whole lot more but it requires more time and effort to figure out how to use them.

If you dont have it, and are playing 5e, I do have a chat triggers module for sale with about 800 prebuilt triggers for various spells, attacks, etc. I've had many people use that as a basis for learning the more advanced pattern matching methods.
    Hi, yes have bought the chat triggers module, it's where I got the info for the LUA pattern matching for snakes, spiders etc.

^[Ss]nake$
    ^[Ss]nake%W
    %W[Ss]nake$
    %W[Ss]nake%W

I don't have any 5thE stuff I have DnD 2nd E, Traveller 2ndE, Cthulhu, Pulp Cthulhu and Pathfinder 2ndE, about to run Against the Slave Lords (2ndE).

Incidentally while monkeying about I noticed that Cure Light Wounds didn't trigger the sound. Looking at the trigger it was set for 'cure wounds' so I added the 'light' and now all ok. I assume that this is due to a difference between the 2nd E spell and the 5th E spell?

Quote Originally Posted by Merecraft View Post
    I'm absolutely loving this extension, thanks MK.
    One small issue I'm having though... I'm not seeing the option to allow GM rolls to be hidden but still trigger sounds as described in the instructions. This is what I see:
    Screenshot 2022-01-11 083457.jpg
    Has that option been deprecated?
    My version is 21, downloaded from the Forge a couple of days ago.
    Yes. A recent FG update changed how interactions with the chat work. While the change did make the extension much more compatible with other extensions and much less likely to break, it did mean I had to remove that option. I am still looking for a workaround for it.
    For support with any of my extensions, visit my #mattekure-stuff channel on Rob2e's discord https://discord.gg/rob2e

Quote Originally Posted by Oladahn View Post
    Hi, yes have bought the chat triggers module, it's where I got the info for the LUA pattern matching for snakes, spiders etc.

^[Ss]nake$
    ^[Ss]nake%W
    %W[Ss]nake$
    %W[Ss]nake%W

I don't have any 5thE stuff I have DnD 2nd E, Traveller 2ndE, Cthulhu, Pulp Cthulhu and Pathfinder 2ndE, about to run Against the Slave Lords (2ndE).

Incidentally while monkeying about I noticed that Cure Light Wounds didn't trigger the sound. Looking at the trigger it was set for 'cure wounds' so I added the 'light' and now all ok. I assume that this is due to a difference between the 2nd E spell and the 5th E spell?
    Awesome. In 5e, there is no Cure Light, or Cure XXX wounds spells. Its just Cure Wounds and if the caster is capable of using higher level spell slots, they can cast it at a higher level to do more healing. A sort of auto-scaling healing spell.

FYI, if you are interested in what those specific triggers mean, each of the 4 triggers is designed to pick up a different edge case.
    ^ = the message starts with, meaning this had to occur at the beginning of the text rather than somewhere in the middle
    [Ss] = This will match either an uppercase S or a lowercase s
    nake = must match these letters exactly, it will not pick up NAKE, NaKe, etc
    $ = This is the end of the message.

So the first pattern matches the situation where the message starts with S or s, has the letters nake and then ends the message. So the entire message is just the word snake.

%W means to match a non-alphanumeric, so something that is not a letter or number such as a space.

So the second pattern matches a message that starts with the word snake, followed by a space then the rest of the message. It does not match if you have an alphanumeric character after snake, so it would not match snaker or snake1

The third matches a message where snake appears as the last word in the text with a space before it. so it would match where you put "This is a snake" but not "This is a ksnake"

The fourth just looks for snake somewhere in the middle of the text. "the dog ate the snake and the"...It only matches if "snake" is its own word and not in the middle of a larger word " the fiddlesnakes are playing"

Quote Originally Posted by mattekure View Post
    Awesome. In 5e, there is no Cure Light, or Cure XXX wounds spells. Its just Cure Wounds and if the caster is capable of using higher level spell slots, they can cast it at a higher level to do more healing. A sort of auto-scaling healing spell.

FYI, if you are interested in what those specific triggers mean, each of the 4 triggers is designed to pick up a different edge case.
    ^ = the message starts with, meaning this had to occur at the beginning of the text rather than somewhere in the middle
    [Ss] = This will match either an uppercase S or a lowercase s
    nake = must match these letters exactly, it will not pick up NAKE, NaKe, etc
    $ = This is the end of the message.

So the first pattern matches the situation where the message starts with S or s, has the letters nake and then ends the message. So the entire message is just the word snake.

%W means to match a non-alphanumeric, so something that is not a letter or number such as a space.

So the second pattern matches a message that starts with the word snake, followed by a space then the rest of the message. It does not match if you have an alphanumeric character after snake, so it would not match snaker or snake1

The third matches a message where snake appears as the last word in the text with a space before it. so it would match where you put "This is a snake" but not "This is a ksnake"

The fourth just looks for snake somewhere in the middle of the text. "the dog ate the snake and the"...It only matches if "snake" is its own word and not in the middle of a larger word " the fiddlesnakes are playing"
    Thanks for that, I might have to try and look at getting a superficial understanding of LUA.
    Problem is role playing is relaxation from work hassles (amongst other hassles) for me.

I'm currently dealing with a highly intermittent fault with an ILS associated DME, a highly intermittent fault on METCOM, struggling to get management agreeing on a way forward with GRF, struggling with getting management agreeing on a way forward with AFTN/AMHS implementation at a sister airport and several other work projects on the boil.

When I get home I just want to spend some time with the Mrs and spend some time prepping for the upcoming session and working on other scenarios. So what I might do is just use your examples for now when prepping a new trigger and research LUA in Feb/March time.

Thanks for this extension, can't wait to hear my players reaction the first time they cast a spell.

For a more general overview of the topic, look into learning about Regular Expressions. There plenty of websites going over them
    https://regexr.com/
    https://regex101.com/

Luas pattern matching is just one flavor of the regular expressions with only minor changes.

Is there any value in trimming the .csv to only sounds you might use?

I am a SuperSyrin, and my CSV is 20+ MB in size, so I am pondering deleting all the Cthulhu and sci-fi stuff and rebuilding the links module for my D&D game.

Thread Information