DICE PACKS BUNDLE

New player - completely lost - please HALP!

Hey everyone! So I got the ultimate sub last night to try this out. Everything I read said that this was the best D20 D&D system out there. I have experience with 3.5 TT and 4th TT, but this is my first foray into online games. I have several players who want to join and play but now - I have some questions that I haven't seem to been able to find the answers for via google.

I have the Ultimate Sub - which as I understand will let anyone join my game. What do I need to actually START a game - that's where I'm confused? I'm guessing I'll need to purchase a module/adventure. Do I need to buy the manuals? Rule sets? Like - it's almost overly complex for me and I feel a bit over my head! Please halp!

Blog Entries
    The rule mechanics are all included. You can load the 5E Basic Rules and your players can use that to create characters from a limited set of choices. You can then load the 5E SRD Bestiary so you have access to some of the creatures that they can fight. Their are several Map modules included with your FG license, and you can load those.

All that is to say in short you have everything you need. But you probably don't have everything you want

Checkout the Tutorial Campaign that is included and walk through that. Read the USer Manual. And there are numerous tutorial videos on YouTube. Also check out www.fantasygroundscollege.net, lots of free classes and resources there to get you going.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thank you! Let's assume (and assumption means I really haven't) that I have never DM'd before. But I'm excited to do this. Apparently I tried to do this back in 2015 and got really intimidated. What would be the most cost effective way to put on an adventure that I didn't have to build myself for my friends. Like - I guess in 2015 I was looking at Lost Mine of Phandelver. It says all I need is the Core Class Pack. Is that accurate? I wouldn't need to do anything else? Is it just plug and play at that point? I'm fine if that's the case. But I'm really intimidated once again by all this.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    The rule mechanics are all included. You can load the 5E Basic Rules and your players can use that to create characters from a limited set of choices. You can then load the 5E SRD Bestiary so you have access to some of the creatures that they can fight. Their are several Map modules included with your FG license, and you can load those.

All that is to say in short you have everything you need. But you probably don't have everything you want

Checkout the Tutorial Campaign that is included and walk through that. Read the USer Manual. And there are numerous tutorial videos on YouTube. Also check out www.fantasygroundscollege.net, lots of free classes and resources there to get you going.

I also guess since I've never DM'd a game before this makes it even worse!

Blog Entries
    I wasn't aware you needed the class pack to run LMoP... I would double check that.

But, unless that's the case, all you need is the module you want to run, LMoP is a good one to start with, so is Dragons of Icespire Peak (part of the Essentials Kit).And then the free Basic Rules. There are also numerous other starter modules you can start with; DMsGuild or AAW are just two other places to find good stuff.

If you are new to DM'ing, I suggest again you check out FGC. You can take a free class or two (an FG intro class and a DM class), get hooked up with some free resources, and be ready to run pretty soon.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    I wasn't aware you needed the class pack to run LMoP... I would double check that.

But, unless that's the case, all you need is the module you want to run, LMoP is a good one to start with, so is Dragons of Icespire Peak (part of the Essentials Kit).And then the free Basic Rules. There are also numerous other starter modules you can start with; DMsGuild or AAW are just two other places to find good stuff.

If you are new to DM'ing, I suggest again you check out FGC. You can take a free class or two (an FG intro class and a DM class), get hooked up with some free resources, and be ready to run pretty soon.
    Ok great, thank you! The Class Pack was one of three things that was said was needed for the pack. "Requirements: The 5E Ruleset and one of the following modules: D&D Basic Rules, D&D Comple Core Class Pack or D&D Character Customization Pack"

You can run LMOP without the Players Handbook (complete core class pack as it used to be called). You can just use the Basic Rules which come with the license. The adventure also comes with some pregenerated characters. This does somewhat limit the choices of your players when it comes to character creation but you can play the adventure.
    Some further info here with regards to what you might need to play 5e https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...eed-to-play-5e
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Definitely look at LMoP and sticking with the pre-gens.
    But I would also try and be a player for a session or two to learn some parts of the application and get a feel for FG and pay close attention to the GM.
    Now every GM is different and all have strengths and weaknesses so grab the good and think about whether you could do some other parts better and dont stress if/when you fall short.

Thread Information