DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Images do not load properly for players

So I had my players test the FGU for a little bit, but every time I try to share a map with them it only loads in varying degrees for each of them.

It is really weird. I also tried with smaller maps as well, some of which could be loaded properly even by FGC.

Anything I can do?

Example below.

https://imgur.com/a/6Kj3A0h

How big was the Waterdeep map? (resolution and size) And how many players were there?

I can't see anything wrong with the second one.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

How second map should actually look and how I see it as a GM (this one is 2000x1440 pixels)

https://imgur.com/a/7emg2vn

The Waterdeep one was 6000x5200.

But I remember being promised to be able to load higher res maps with Unity.
    Last edited by Azraghul; March 22nd, 2020 at 13:17.

Blog Entries
    So the big image is 780x bigger than the FGC reccomended max?
    Thats not bigger. that is massively bigger.
    That image still has to be shared to every player from your computer.
    Physics still applies.

Unless there's a different formula for calculating pixels, the bigger image is 3.6x bigger than the first.

But that still doesn't change the fact that no matter which image i am sharing the lower half always looks wacky to the players.

I can't say what's happening for sure. Make sure you test in a new campaign with no extensions and use recommended sized images (2048x2048 and < 1Mb). If you still have a problem then report the results. If it's only a problem with massive images like the Waterdeep one (you still didn't say what the size of that file is and how many players you are sharing with). Note also that yesterday the server was constantly being reset so it is possible that your players were actually disconnected or out of sync with you and you didn't notice.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

It's on a Campaign that I imported from FGC, the Canyon map (the 2000pixel one) is 1.8mb, I was sharing with 4 players that were connected to me via the Cloud option connection, a couple of hours before making this thread. The canyon map works well in FGC. We live in a country with very good internet so our internet is not the problem.

I was under the impression that there won't be limit for map sizes on Unity. Maps on FGC always look blurry and low quality while zoomed in because of the recommended size not being enough. I did not expect to go to infinity, but twice or thrice the size of the recommended size of the FGC would have been a good compromise.

Will test via the local/lan option to see if I can get better results.

Although there may not necessarily be a memory limit on the size of images; there's still the question of uploading that to a number of players at once. As I said the server was a bit problematic yesterday so that could be the reason. I'm not saying that the Waterdeep map is too big (and yet again I still don't have the size of that file) but if you can't repeat the error with smaller sized maps then the Waterdeep map could be the problem.

How large is the Waterdeep image file? The actual file size reported by your OS. For the purpose of transferring image files from GM to player, that's what matters.

What file type is it (jpg/png/etc)?

Do the images appear any differently for different players? For example, does it come through correctly for some, but wrong for others?

For the players the image comes through wrong on, does it come through wrong in exactly the same way, or garbled a little differently for each player?

And, sorry, but I can't help myself... Comparing the pixel counts of the two images above, the larger one is about 10.8x bigger than the smaller one.
    6000 x 5200 = 31200000
    2000 x 1440 = 2880000
    31200000 / 2880000 = 10.833

Carl and I have talked about this issue quite a bit. We believe that there may be some packet loss, even though the network library is set to reliable/ordered connection. I've just pushed a build upping the network channel working size that may help with this issue, while we continue to investigate.

Regards,
    JPG

Thread Information