STAR TREK 2d20

Can't Connect to FG Servers

Hey there,

I've been using Fantasy Grounds for about 3 years now, and its worked great. I've had a few networking hiccups over the years that I've mostly been able to sort out, but this one has me stumped.

About 2 weeks ago, I booted up Fantasy Grounds to host a game, and noticed that I couldn't establish an external ip. I thought this was a port-forwarding issue at them time, so I tried a few things to fix it along those lines, but to no avail. Today, I tried it again, and had the same problem. Additionally, when I tried to update FG, I couldn't receive packages from the servers. After more hours of troubleshooting, I seem to have troubleshot myself in the foot, because I've completely uninstalled Fantasy Grounds, and now I can't reinstall it. I keep getting the same network timeout error I was getting before when updating.
    FGUpdate.JPG
    I saw other people on the forums with a similar error, but nothing that I found in those posts seems to have helped. I'm almost certain it has something to do with my router settings, because I have another computer with fantasy grounds installed that gets the exact same error when updating. And again, everything was working fine until a few weeks ago.

For good measure, I've disabled all hardware antivirus and firewalls, as well as the router firewalls. Here's the receipts:
    Firewall.JPGIPv4Firewall.JPGIPv6Firewall.JPG

If anyone knows what the problem could be, that would be greatly appreciated! I'm also going to try to update on my school's wifi on Tuesday to see if that is indeed the problem. At the very least, I'll be able to reinstall the program to access my campaign information!

Something on your computer is blocking FG operations. The prime culprits are usually anti virus software or flood protection set on your router. It is better to have rules in place in your anti virus (Windows Defender in this case it seems) than switching them off.

Has your ISP changed recently or has there been firmware updates to your router? Who is your ISP?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Hi, thanks for the swift reply!

As for the AV and firewall, I did write exceptions and that didn't seem to do anything. I would be surprised if it was a problem with system settings, because the problem occurred at the same time on 3 different systems (Windows 8, MacOS Mojave through Winebox, and Windows 10 on Bootcamp).

As for my ISP, that is Xfinity. We also have an Xfinity router (not my idea), specifically a Technicolor CGM4140COM. We have not changed ISPs since moving here. I poked around for a while in the web interface, and I found no option to manually update the firmware on the router. I couldn't find anything online about it either. I can only assume the firmware is updated automatically. The logs they let me view about activity on the router don't give me any information about whether an update took place within the last 2 weeks.

Blog Entries
    Please dont uninstall when you are having issues updating.

Who is your ISP? Some ISPs are blocking what they think are port scanning or DDOS attacks and they are doing it at the ISPs end.
    Some German routers have a youth safety blacklist or some such enabled on them by default which seems to block FG.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Please dont uninstall when you are having issues updating.
    Yeah lol, I know that now. I did one step worse even, I updated MacOS from Mojave to Catalina thinking that would solve something?? without actually looking into update specifications. Thus I'm now trying to install it on bootcamp.

Here's the result of the command:
    Hmmm.JPG
    I think that just might be the problem, lol

Okay, will do. I've look everywhere for documentation about how to use my router's gateway. Nothing. Thanks comcast. I'll give them a call tomorrow, and if they tell me something similar to what happened with the German user, I'll be sure to let you all know.

Thank you for the help!

Check the Xfinity ISP level security isn’t blocking the communication to the FG servers. Some info here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/arti...anced-security
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information