5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Campaign Safety Tools, Does FG Have Them?

A few of the podcasts I listen to have recently been discussing the availability of “safety tools” to help prevent campaign play from wandering off into content or role playing that players find offensive or unacceptable. Are there any such tools available to Fantasy Grounds? Either inherently or as an extension? (I’ve looked but failed to find them.) Thanks in advance.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

Not entirely sure what that would consist of. I can’t think of a way you can stop people saying things using an extension. I may perhaps be misunderstanding what is meant by safety tools.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Nothing that I have heard or seen talk of. But, this questions was recently asked for Roll20 on Reddit. The answers there may be of some help.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comm..._safety_tools/

In short, it seems to come down to using specific tokens that the players can control or place. Not sure how that would work very well though if people aren't looking.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Blog Entries
    Also can Google TTRPG Safety Toolkit.

I was hooping for the big red X card implementation.
    Current Projects:
    Always...
    Community Contributions:
    Extensions: Bardic Inspiration, Druid Wild Shapes, Local Dice Tower, Library Field Filters
    Tutorial Blog Series: "A Neophyte Tackles (coding) the FG Extension".

You could use something like voicemod to play a buzzer sound effect with a keyboard shortcut.
    I would be hesitant to rely on a visual clue as in my experience it is very easy for players to miss those things, if they have other windows open for example.
    Ultimate License holder.

Discord username: Halaku

Currently GMing:
    * Ashes of Ardenyan Chapter 2 - Pathfinder
    * Venice by Night - Vampire the Masquerade
    * Adventures in the Ebony Kingdom - Vampire the Masquerade 5th edition

Playing In:

Finished Campaigns
    * Curse of Strahd - DnD 5e
    * Ashes of Ardenyan - Pathfinder
    * Necessary Evil the Next Generation - Masks
    * Slipstream - Savage Worlds
    * Necessary Evil - Savage Worlds
    * Star Wars Age of Rebellion - FFG Star Wars

Blog Entries
    I'm kinda shocked no one has done an X Card extension yet. It's also 2020 and that's probably something that should be built into CoreRPG, honestly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    I'm kinda shocked no one has done an X Card extension yet. It's also 2020 and that's probably something that should be built into CoreRPG, honestly.
    Well, I would not expect such. This is the first time this has even been discussed on the forum and it is not on the Wishlist, so why would SmiteWorks even think it would be important to their customer base? It may be important to the gaming community, but until we (the customers) state the importance of it to us, we shouldn't expect them to be aware of such value.

So, if it's important to someone, they should add it to the wishlist

(And just to be clear, I'm not opposed to such, but I have no use or value in such for my groups. But, I do recognize I might be ignorant of some aspect of my games.)

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

I play with people who are adults. If someone goes out of bounds, they get a warning, if they persist, they get kicked out of the group. (I've only kicked out 2 players in like 5 decades of gaming.)

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
    (Honest question. Not asking just to be argumentative.) Why? Why would there need to be one? Why is it shocking there isn't one? What good would it do? My self, I'm a bit baffled that anyone thinks that it is a necessary item, rather than a nice-to-have item.

This isn't like a F2F game where you'd be vulnerable to physical/mental consequences either as the perpetrator or the target. It would accomplish little that a simple "Don't do that!" wouldn't. My understanding (though I admit that it's sketchy) is that the X Card and such at con games is that the person needs a safe outlet because they're afraid of physical or psychological damage/attacks that they can't easily escape from. That ability to corner someone doesn't exist in the VTT arena.

When a VTT game veers into territory I don't approve of, I just say something (which has happened, thankfully, only once). If it were to have continued, I'd have just logged out and gone to watch a movie. Secure in the fact that I am beyond the reach of those I disapproved of.
    Last edited by Art Wendorf; January 19th, 2020 at 18:48.
    --Art "Everything I do is a work of Art" Wendorf
    An Ultimate License Holder so anyone can join the fun!
    Timezone: US Central Time [UTC-6?]

Blog Entries
    I'm with Andraax. Since 1979 I've only ever had to kick 2 people out. One of those was in FG. A lot of this I think depends on the age of who you game with.

But if there's people who want it, I'm sure someone will make an extension... and who ever wants to use can, and those who don't shouldn't have it forced upon them.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information