DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: More automation

More automation

Folks,

What extra automation are you after being added, more to combat (not effects as that's another thread), when creating characters etc?

Let me know here.

Note that sometimes it's very difficult to automate what appear to be simple things, but we can discuss those.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Ruleset and much more content built for FGU.
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Are you asking this and the effects question for Mongoose Traveller 2nd edition?

Well. like somebody mentioned in another thread, having the race and career records be droppable into the character sheet.
    Perhaps have the drag link on the career branch assignment, then when you drag to the career history section on the character sheet it fills in both the career and branch assignment field. Then having the current survival, advancement and commission checks being recorded in the character sheet for a button on the personal tab to survive or to advance. It would be really nice in the career history list to have the term age or numbers, on main tab have the current age. Age has a significant place in Traveller creation, and also aging rolls while traveling, so having a field to keep track of current age isn't really superfluous.

Also, it would be really nice on the career record(what you bring upon the career sidebar button), to have the links to the appropriate skill, event and mustering out benefit rolls on the specific career record. I found myself when I tried character creation bouncing back and forth from the reference manual, to the career record and then having to search the tables list to find the appropriate skill, event or benefits table. having links on the career record to the specific tables would speed up thing and make it much easier.

Also, the 2 image files that contain the character creation flow chart, are really useful, especially for the New user. I would suggest having a sidebar button that
    would bring up those two image files, instead of having to search the image directory for them.

Also, I think more thought needs to be done on the Create PC sidebar selections, for a non-GM player trying to make a character. He would need access to the career and race tabs, and unless the links are added to the career sidebar record, access to the tables sidebar menu too, to successfully be able to build a character. Another reason to add the skill table, other tables to the career sidebar record.

I know that adding those links to the career records might be time-consuming, and I sure don't want to slow your advancement along for the catalog and high guard modules, perhaps you could farm out that grunt task to some willing grunt/prole(if you are a secret Zhodani hiding out on earth, it should be an easy task to make the grunt/prole want to complete this task quickly and efficiently with every bit of his will. He will love doing this..must complete early..must complete without bugs... He will be sooo pleased).

Anyway.. my suggestions

Chumbly
    Last edited by chumbly; September 22nd, 2019 at 09:52.

Also, I know that automated starship combat and construction will not be added to the high guard module. But you might
    want to have the standard rulebook ship record fields. just like you currently have the vehicle record on the sidebar. Even if the fields of the record
    change in the post Highguard release, having the record available for somebody to type in the ship fields from a traveller book,
    would allow for a GM to do non-automated combat. Also, having a droppable editable cargo field so merchant campaigns can record
    what their ship is containing.

Ships are too intrinsic to a traveller session/campaign not to have some sort of record, even if automated construction and combat is not available until Highguard. Probably would want to have "class" record. that is selectable and when dragged to the desktop allows a unique ship record(with the ship name, registry and ownership info, and some basic ship operation financial fields, like the mortgage and operating costs)

But NOT saying you should bring up ship construction or combat before Highguards. Just provide a blank standard ship record, so GM can store party ship info.

Chumbly
    Last edited by chumbly; September 22nd, 2019 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmanje View Post
    Are you asking this and the effects question for Mongoose Traveller 2nd edition?
    Hello,

Yes, Effects! In 1E it doesn't really have an effects system, but 2E kinda does. For example, radiation/fire. What I'd like to see is a discussion around what effects to have and the effects of those effects.

Cheers,
    MBM
    Come join me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/MadBeardMan to see what I'm up to!

Quote Originally Posted by chumbly View Post
    Well. like somebody mentioned in another thread, having the race and career records be droppable into the character sheet.
    Perhaps have the drag link on the career branch assignment, then when you drag to the career history section on the character sheet it fills in both the career and branch assignment field. Then having the current survival, advancement and commission checks being recorded in the character sheet for a button on the personal tab to survive or to advance. It would be really nice in the career history list to have the term age or numbers, on main tab have the current age. Age has a significant place in Traveller creation, and also aging rolls while traveling, so having a field to keep track of current age isn't really superfluous.

Also, it would be really nice on the career record(what you bring upon the career sidebar button), to have the links to the appropriate skill, event and mustering out benefit rolls on the specific career record. I found myself when I tried character creation bouncing back and forth from the reference manual, to the career record and then having to search the tables list to find the appropriate skill, event or benefits table. having links on the career record to the specific tables would speed up thing and make it much easier.

Also, the 2 image files that contain the character creation flow chart, are really useful, especially for the New user. I would suggest having a sidebar button that
    would bring up those two image files, instead of having to search the image directory for them.

Also, I think more thought needs to be done on the Create PC sidebar selections, for a non-GM player trying to make a character. He would need access to the career and race tabs, and unless the links are added to the career sidebar record, access to the tables sidebar menu too, to successfully be able to build a character. Another reason to add the skill table, other tables to the career sidebar record.

I know that adding those links to the career records might be time-consuming, and I sure don't want to slow your advancement along for the catalog and high guard modules, perhaps you could farm out that grunt task to some willing grunt/prole(if you are a secret Zhodani hiding out on earth, it should be an easy task to make the grunt/prole want to complete this task quickly and efficiently with every bit of his will. He will love doing this..must complete early..must complete without bugs... He will be sooo pleased).

Anyway.. my suggestions

Chumbly
    Some good ideas there. Addng the Skills/Event on the Career Data is quite easy, just takes time. Let me re-read your ideas a few times to get them into my head.

Also, I know that automated starship combat and construction will not be added to the high guard module. But you might
    want to have the standard rulebook ship record fields. just like you currently have the vehicle record on the sidebar. Even if the fields of the record
    change in the post Highguard release, having the record available for somebody to type in the ship fields from a traveller book,
    would allow for a GM to do non-automated combat. Also, having a droppable editable cargo field so merchant campaigns can record
    what their ship is containing.

Ships are too intrinsic to a traveller session/campaign not to have some sort of record, even if automated construction and combat is not available until Highguard. Probably would want to have "class" record. that is selectable and when dragged to the desktop allows a unique ship record(with the ship name, registry and ownership info, and some basic ship operation financial fields, like the mortgage and operating costs)

But NOT saying you should bring up ship construction or combat before Highguards. Just provide a blank standard ship record, so GM can store party ship info.

Chumbly
    I agreee. I do have a Ship Record Sheet, just like the Vehicle sheet. What I didn't want to do was create data, then in a few months throw that away. But I can add it in as a basic ship record, and then in the future when High Guard is out, replace it, with something that can be 'built'.

I'll get onto that next week as 1E has most of it already (never released).

Cheers,
    MBM

Just an idea for the ship record. For the Party's ship, it would be nice if you could drop a link to the ship record in the Party Sheet Record.
    to have an easy way of bringing up the Ship owned/used by the Party.

Chumbly
    (Side Note... MadBeardMan.. you should toot your horn... add Mongoose Traveller (2e) to your Ruleset list in your Signature... You earned it.

Just an idea for the ship record. For the Party's ship, it would be nice if you could drop a link to the ship record in the Party Sheet Record.
    to have an easy way of bringing up the Ship owned/used by the Party.

Chumbly
    (Side Note... MadBeardMan.. you should toot your horn... add Mongoose Traveller (2e) to your Ruleset list in your Signature... You earned it.
    Been meaning to sort out my signature, tidy it up, or point it towards something else, or something, not sure. I have a cup of tea, but off into town soon to pick up a hard-copy of the Traveller Companion.

I'll make sure that 'Ships' can be dragged into the Equipment, would that work for you?

There's a new version of the Character Sheet, so I plan in the future (next year defo) to update the Look and Feel to allow for more characteristics etc, inside that I'll probably do a section for Party Ship,

Just posted on Twitter, an update to the Central Supply Catalogue, it's built on v1.0.1 which has some bug fixes done

Cheers,
    MBM

Yes works Fine... I just wanted an easy way of associating a ship with the Party interface wise. For that
    matter Craft should probably be treated the same way, so the party can easily access "Their" ships boat and air raft.

Enjoy reading your companion.

Chumbly

Drag and drop armors onto NPC sheets. Drag and drop currently seems to work for weapons, but not armors (unless I'm doing something wrong).

Thread Information