FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 55 of 281 First ... 545535455565765105155 ... Last
    Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    One thing more I noticed while adding Shadow of the Beanstalk. Named characters have motivations. This might be a good opportunity to add a place for motivations to NPCs and PCs since it is apart of star wars as well.
    I am creating a new tab for that, I will see if i can have it done soon

Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    I did some tests and gave this some thought.

I think there are several ways to implement this, one is if i add the stat to the weapon in inventory so players can modify, another already exists

First, reading the Talent description:

We could do this modifying the weapon (i would need to change the code), or the way i will describe below (you can already do this)

One important part in this Talent in the description, is the "your character may use...", meaning everytime you choose to do such a roll, you decide if you want the default way or use the talent option.

For that, this is how you can do it:

For this example, lets say my char wants to use an Axe (Melee Light Skill, that uses Brawn)
    To allow me the option of using Cunning instead, this is what i do:

1 - First, I go to the main char page, and add a new skill:

I created a skill that is exactly like Melee Light, but uses Cunning (check the attached image)

Skill description "Melee-L-Precision", Category "Combat", Characteristic "CU"
    I added the same number of ranks, 2, which is the rank on my normal Melee Light skill

2 - Now, I already have an Axe on my inventory.
    - Click the link icon to open the Weapon stats
    - Click the Padlock icon (right side of the weapon name) to unlock it
    - Change this:
    Name "Axe(P)"
    Skill "Melee-L-Precision" (remember, exactly how it is in the skills list)

Click the padlock again to lock the weapon

3 - If you want to have the option when rolling combat with an axe to use normal or the precision way, add another copy of the axe to your inventory
    In my attached image i show that example (notice i also edited the encumbrance of one of the weapons so it does not give me again)

Now, whenever the char wants to use Precision, i use that weapon instead of the new one.

Also notice, since this weapon has a damage with a plus sign (+3), the ruleset already knows to add the Brawn value to the total damage, and this still works with the Precision weapon using Cunning.

So for now, I think I will not do any changes.
    Later on, I do want to code some automation that takes weapon properties and character talents into consideration, so I think this workaround that already exists can be used.

What do you guys think?

P.S.: I think you will notice in the pictures that now skill ranks are not numbers, they show up as Dots... I am in the middle of changing the skill list

Attachment 38275
    It looks like it is a solution. Something about adding a whole new skill for a talent to change the weapons attack seems...cumbersome. All NPCs with a slimier talent would have to have a new skill. However you are the one who has to code this monster so if it would be a lot of work to change it don't worry about it. If your worried about me redoing work on the libraries don't be. If you did decided to do it I wouldn't mind updating the libraries.

As far as "Your character may use", if you get this talent 99% of the time you get it because your brawn is low and your cunning is higher. Realistically you would only ever switch is because maybe you got the "Head Ringer", "Horrific Injury", or "Gruesome Injury" that lowers your cunning pool or increases cunning difficulty to where it would be better to use Brawn.

As for the skill ranks changed to dots? What happens if you have more than 5 ranks?

P.S. If you decide to edit the script for items you might add Hard Points/Attachments while your at it. Sorry if I come off as a slaver driver. It isn't my intent. Can't wait for the final version what ever it is.
    Last edited by sevrick; August 2nd, 2020 at 18:04.

It looks like it is a solution. Something about adding a whole new skill for a talent to change the weapons attack seems...cumbersome. All NPCs with a slimier talent would have to have a new skill. However you are the one who has to code this monster so if it would be a lot of work to change it don't worry about it. If your worried about me redoing work on the libraries don't be. If you did decided to do it I wouldn't mind updating the libraries.

As far as "Your character may use", if you get this talent 99% of the time you get it because your brawn is low and your cunning is higher. Realistically you would only ever switch is because maybe you got the "Head Ringer", "Horrific Injury", or "Gruesome Injury" that lowers your cunning pool or increases cunning difficulty to where it would be better to use Brawn.

As for the skill ranks changed to dots? What happens if you have more than 5 ranks?

P.S. If you decide to edit the script for items you might add Hard Points/Attachments while your at it. Sorry if I come off as a slaver driver. It isn't my intent. Can't wait for the final version what ever it is.
    Checking core book it seems skill ranks can be 0 to 5. The code for those dots can handle increases, i could easly change, or even allow for a GM to change an option in the ruleset later, if he wants to house rule...

I will add the hardpoints/attachments

Yeah i also looked at a database i have from star wars, to be fair i think converting that is not worth it, might aswell start a new one.

About the skill and precision, one day we can revisit this, and make it better...

Another thing about the skill... what if i allow editing the normal skills in the character/npc sheet (now only custom skills are editable)
    Would that be better than creating another skill?
    Last edited by johniba; August 2nd, 2020 at 20:03.

Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    Checking core book it seems skill ranks can be 0 to 5. The code for those dots can handle increases, i could easly change, or even allow for a GM to change an option in the ruleset later, if he wants to house rule...

I will add the hardpoints/attachments

Yeah i also looked at a database i have from star wars, to be fair i think converting that is not worth it, might aswell start a new one.

About the skill and precision, one day we can revisit this, and make it better...

Another thing about the skill... what if i allow editing the normal skills in the character/npc sheet (now only custom skills are editable)
    Would that be better than creating another skill?
    Opening up the skills to have their characteristics to be able to be edited would work nicely. Better even. It would also allow for increased flexibility for different settings that have similar talents. Also with this you would only have to change the characteristic and any weapons would already work out of the box, so to speak. Brilliant. You many not even have to revisit it.

While I didnt find in the book where it say specifically the cap is 5, we can cross that bridge when we come to it. There may or may not be an NPC with 6 ranks somewhere.

Opening up the skills to have their characteristics to be able to be edited would work nicely. Better even. It would also allow for increased flexibility for different settings that have similar talents. Also with this you would only have to change the characteristic and any weapons would already work out of the box, so to speak. Brilliant. You many not even have to revisit it.

While I didnt find in the book where it say specifically the cap is 5, we can cross that bridge when we come to it. There may or may not be an NPC with 6 ranks somewhere.

ok, so i will do that, i will allow editing, plus i will add an option later so the GM can change the global settings for his campaign to allow higher than 5 skill points.
    I am also going to implement a "Settings" database.
    That way we will have like the player choose a setting when creating his char, and the settings skills will be populated
    I will also allow players to drag skills from the skills database to their sheet, for further customizations

I am re-skinning the character sheet also, i will see if i can upload it later today or tomorrow so you can give your feedback

Bugs
    • Spell Descriptions can't be bolded
    • Item Descriptions when bolded the text shrinks.
    • Talents Descriptions symbols font doesn't change.

So how do you want to handle ICE in Shadow of the Beanstalk? You could handle it like you do with weapons and armor. Meaning when you enter in the Type section weapon it adds the boxes needed for that item. You then could add this feature to the Shadow of the Beanstalk extension, since it is pretty unique to this setting.

So how do you want to handle ICE in Shadow of the Beanstalk? You could handle it like you do with weapons and armor. Meaning when you enter in the Type section weapon it adds the boxes needed for that item. You then could add this feature to the Shadow of the Beanstalk extension, since it is pretty unique to this setting.
    Let me read the rules in the book, I am very unfamiliar with ICE in SoB... I will get back to you after that

Meanwhile, I want your opinion, and everyone else's on some re-design i am doing with the character sheet.
    Do you think it is too much?

Please have a look at the attached image (work in progress)

new_sheet_wip.PNG

Looks way good man. It gives it a more Genesys theme with the color scheme. While it isnt the most important thing it is a welcoming site.

Looks way good man. It gives it a more Genesys theme with the color scheme. While it isnt the most important thing it is a welcoming site.
    I promise i will not waste too much time working on this.

I am focusing on the other missing parts first

Thread Information