DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 54 of 281 First ... 444525354555664104154 ... Last
    Can you unlock the weapon and change it?

Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    So I got a question. While adding NPCs I noticed that some NPC stats say they have for example a sword, as one of their attacks. Now the stat block doesn't give any information other than it's damage, crit, and Special. For the most part the damage lines up with the stat block if I just add the weapon to the inventory. However some NPCs, such as the Assassin has the Precision talent. This allows for the ability to change the characteristic the cunning instead of brawn when using the Melee (Light) skill.

So I guess I am saying the items need a new category, "Characteristic". You could have it auto select the appropriate char when you enter the skill, but allow for it to be changed. This would also be needed for star wars, IE Lightsaber styles.
    good idea.

I will do that...

I'm loving the progress on this.

Sorry if this has been asked earlier, but is there any chance the Star Wars libraries or other assets located elsewhere into this?

This will be great for when my group decides to play something other than Star Wars, but it would be great if I could combine both so I don't have to switch in the future

Quote Originally Posted by mossfoot View Post

Sorry if this has been asked earlier, but is there any chance the Star Wars libraries or other assets located elsewhere into this?

This will be great for when my group decides to play something other than Star Wars, but it would be great if I could combine both so I don't have to switch in the future
    The genesys ruleset isnt finished enough to start on an star wars extension, from what I can tell. As to the Star Wars Libraries that I do plan on do them when the extension is available. It will take quite a bit longer to complete them since there is a ton of content.

Quote Originally Posted by mossfoot View Post

Currently, the database structure in the modules from star wars are different but i do want to convert at least a module with items, races, etca to create a module for star wars
    I will soon create a new star wars ruleset also, so this will come in handy.

If you have a module with those assets that you could share, please send me a private message, i want to have a look at the data structure, i can work on it

The genesys ruleset isnt finished enough to start on an star wars extension, from what I can tell. As to the Star Wars Libraries that I do plan on do them when the extension is available. It will take quite a bit longer to complete them since there is a ton of content.
    Maybe i can see if i can write a script to convert some data from an old star wars module, so i can save you time...

I should also add that I love the fact you're making this compatible with both Unity and Classic. While I intend to eventually upgrade to Unity, my group are all using Classic at the moment, and having this version carry over between them is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardbushido View Post
    Can you unlock the weapon and change it?
    Some fields are hard coded, like for example what characteristic is for what skill, but i will work on a change.

So i will make it in a way that when the weapon is in the inventory, we allow players to customize, and even change the combination of characteristic+skill, so that if they have a talent that allows a different combination, it works

One thing more I noticed while adding Shadow of the Beanstalk. Named characters have motivations. This might be a good opportunity to add a place for motivations to NPCs and PCs since it is apart of star wars as well.

So I got a question. While adding NPCs I noticed that some NPC stats say they have for example a sword, as one of their attacks. Now the stat block doesn't give any information other than it's damage, crit, and Special. For the most part the damage lines up with the stat block if I just add the weapon to the inventory. However some NPCs, such as the Assassin has the Precision talent. This allows for the ability to change the characteristic the cunning instead of brawn when using the Melee (Light) skill.

So I guess I am saying the items need a new category, "Characteristic". You could have it auto select the appropriate char when you enter the skill, but allow for it to be changed. This would also be needed for star wars, IE Lightsaber styles.
    I did some tests and gave this some thought.

I think there are several ways to implement this, one is if i add the stat to the weapon in inventory so players can modify, another already exists

First, reading the Talent description:

Precision (from Realms of Terrinoth, page 84)
    When making a Brawl or Ranged check, your character may use Cunning instead of Brawn and Agility.
    We could do this modifying the weapon (i would need to change the code), or the way i will describe below (you can already do this)

One important part in this Talent in the description, is the "your character may use...", meaning everytime you choose to do such a roll, you decide if you want the default way or use the talent option.

For that, this is how you can do it:

For this example, lets say my char wants to use an Axe (Melee Light Skill, that uses Brawn)
    To allow me the option of using Cunning instead, this is what i do:

1 - First, I go to the main char page, and add a new skill:

I created a skill that is exactly like Melee Light, but uses Cunning (check the attached image)

Skill description "Melee-L-Precision", Category "Combat", Characteristic "CU"
    I added the same number of ranks, 2, which is the rank on my normal Melee Light skill

2 - Now, I already have an Axe on my inventory.
    - Click the link icon to open the Weapon stats
    - Click the Padlock icon (right side of the weapon name) to unlock it
    - Change this:
    Name "Axe(P)"
    Skill "Melee-L-Precision" (remember, exactly how it is in the skills list)

Click the padlock again to lock the weapon

3 - If you want to have the option when rolling combat with an axe to use normal or the precision way, add another copy of the axe to your inventory
    In my attached image i show that example (notice i also edited the encumbrance of one of the weapons so it does not give me again)

Now, whenever the char wants to use Precision, i use that weapon instead of the new one.

Also notice, since this weapon has a damage with a plus sign (+3), the ruleset already knows to add the Brawn value to the total damage, and this still works with the Precision weapon using Cunning.

So for now, I think I will not do any changes.
    Later on, I do want to code some automation that takes weapon properties and character talents into consideration, so I think this workaround that already exists can be used.

What do you guys think?

P.S.: I think you will notice in the pictures that now skill ranks are not numbers, they show up as Dots... I am in the middle of changing the skill list

precision.png
    Last edited by johniba; August 2nd, 2020 at 16:58.

Thread Information