STAR TREK 2d20
    Oh one thing my OCD is kicking in every time I create a new NPC the view starts on the skills tab and not the main tab. Not huge deal just something I noticed. It sounds silly even mentioning it.

Also I had a cool idea. What if there was button you could toggle for NPC sheets skills that made it to where you only see the skills they have ranks in? I think it would make for a much cleaner look and easier to spot quickly relevant skills. That way people who don't have the skills attached characteristic memorized can reference it if they need. If you did do this it might be better if it was in the options. That way you could flick a switch and it would effect all NPC sheets.
    Last edited by sevrick; July 13th, 2022 at 01:04.

Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    I noticed while working on the Clone wars Era Library that I will have to re add the skills. The thing is which descriptions do I use for it? Since there are no descriptions for the skills in those books.
    I think you may want to rethink the idea of replicating book by book all information.
    Take as an example Genesys.
    The Core rulebook has a set of skills, and then for example, Realms of Terrinoth, although it has in a page a list of skills, it shows which skills are from the core book, and only present a more detailed explanation only of the new skills
    So for the purpose of being able to use them in a ruleset, having a separate module for Terrinoth, you DONT need to create a duplicate of each skill from the core book

Of course the three parts of Star Wars are even more interconnected, in a way that I believe eventually most people will use content from more than one.

When I finally complete the libraries, I thought about adding 1 library with everything. The thing is this would entail me making a new Campaign and opening up all my libraries a dragging them one by one into the new library. Dont get me wrong I up to the task but is low on the priority list right now.
    There is a risk here that it would break the Backup Descriptions database.
    So here is how that feature works: When you click backup/restore, the ruleset has to find a way to identify a record, so if you (someone using the modules) add descriptions to a record -- for example an item -- the ruleset will later be able to restore that description to the correct record.
    The way that is done is through the ID.
    The ID of an object is an automatically assigned number at the time you create that record.

So it means that when you created an item, it received a number. This number is exported to the module. It is the same number that will be used for backup/restore

As soon as you drag/drop that record, creating a copy, it will have a different number

That will make it so anyone working on populating their descriptions will have to start from zero again, if you recreate the libraries the way you said.

For now my suggestion is keep as it is: 3 different libraries... 4 at most (if you would like to have a separate one for the "black" books that are for all of the 3 pillars).

One last thing load times might be a factor. I am not sure how it will effect performance having every record in one library. Having every record would create massive lists you have to sift through. I suppose as we get better filters this wont be too much of an issue.
    We can test this.
    I can write a code that would copy every record in all 3 modules, and we export a test module, and ask everyone to test using it.

If that works and does not cause performance impact, it could help you decide if you want to have all of them in one place.

I am thinking now, that if performance is not an issue, it could be a good thing.
    Last edited by johniba; July 13th, 2022 at 01:03.

Oh one thing my OCD is kicking in every time I create a new NPC the view starts on the skills tab and not the main tab. Not huge deal just something I noticed. It sounds silly even mentioning it.

Also I had a cool idea. What if there was button you could toggle for NPC sheets skills that made it to where you only see the skills they have ranks in? I think it would make for a much cleaner look and easier to spot quickly relevant skills. That way people who don't have the skills attached characteristic memorized can reference it if they need. If you did do this it might be better if it was in the options. That way you could flick a switch and it would effect all NPC sheets.
    It would be very easy to move skills to the main tab, and move stuff from the current main to another.

I could do that for npcs only, or even pcs and npcs

It is up to you all

EDIT: When I created the skills list there was something I always wanted to do but could not at the time (I was not experienced with coding in FG) and that I think I could pull off now:
    Separating skills by category.

What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    It would be very easy to move skills to the main tab, and move stuff from the current main to another.

I could do that for npcs only, or even pcs and npcs

It is up to you all

EDIT: When I created the skills list there was something I always wanted to do but could not at the time (I was not experienced with coding in FG) and that I think I could pull off now:
    Separating skills by category.

What do you all think?
    Do you mean have like a header in between the skill types?
    Could work but maybe too cluttered. I would have to see it to give an informed opinion.

About the skills
    I didn't mean moving the skills to the main page. I just meant the default view after creating a new NPC is on the skills tab instead of the default view being the main page. It really doesn't matter to me I noticed it few updates back and was such a small thing I didn't say anything.

About keeping it to 3 modules I assume you are talking about holding off on merging the libraries right?
    because I plan on separating the compendiums, Adventures, and Area Books (Except Clone Wars I will lump the 2 of them together).
    Last edited by sevrick; July 13th, 2022 at 01:17.

Do you mean have like a header in between the skill types?
    Could work but maybe too cluttered. I would have to see it to give an informed opinion.
    Yes, but i guess you are right.

About keeping it to 3 modules I assume you are talking about holding off on merging the libraries right?
    because I plan on separating the compendiums, Adventures, and Area Books (Except Clone Wars I will lump the 2 of them together).
    Yes I am talking about merging the libraries.

I am more concerned with the impact on the backup/restore feature than on performance, on libraries.
    We could test merging them, but before that, I want to improve the backup/restore feature, to make the code smarter so it could handle better identification of records, instead of relying only on the internal ID

For merging, I would also have to find a way for the Source field either to handle multiple sources, or something, so for example, instead of duplicating a record because it exists in multiple sources, we have all sources listed in the same field.
    The issue here is that i dont know if the filter will work.. i need to do some testing

And then, after these tests, if you want to merge all 3 modules into one, it would work.

You could still have separate modules for adventures or anything else, like the Era books too

Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    Yes, but i guess you are right.

Yes I am talking about merging the libraries.

I am more concerned with the impact on the backup/restore feature than on performance, on libraries.
    We could test merging them, but before that, I want to improve the backup/restore feature, to make the code smarter so it could handle better identification of records, instead of relying only on the internal ID

For merging, I would also have to find a way for the Source field either to handle multiple sources, or something, so for example, instead of duplicating a record because it exists in multiple sources, we have all sources listed in the same field.
    The issue here is that i dont know if the filter will work.. i need to do some testing

And then, after these tests, if you want to merge all 3 modules into one, it would work.

You could still have separate modules for adventures or anything else, like the Era books too
    Hmm filter option could be the way to go. Imagine if you could tick a box near the rest of the filters that said "Hide Duplicates" You would then have to have some sort of priority list the user could alter to display the library they want to use if there are duplicates. For Example you could set an order like this:

Force and Destiny Library
    Age of Rebellion Library
    Edge of the Empire Library

That would mean that any duplicates would prioritize Force and Destiny 1st and hide any duplicates lower on the list. Like Wise if any Age of Rebellion Duplicates appeared any conflicts between it and Edge of the empire it would show just Age of Rebellion. That is of course if that same item isn't in Force and Destiny otherwise it would win the conflict. Very much like the way Load Order works for games like Skyrim.

It sounds like a nightmare to code, But if you pulled it off it could mean not making another combine library and just use filters. What ever you choose to do I am good with.

About separating the skills I could be wrong and it could look great.
    Last edited by sevrick; July 13th, 2022 at 01:43.

Hmm filter option could be the way to go. Imagine if you could tick a box near the rest of the filters that said "Hide Duplicates" You would then have to have some sort of priority list the user could alter to display the library they want to use if there are duplicates. For Example you could set an order like this:

Force and Destiny Library
    Age of Rebellion Library
    Edge of the Empire Library

That would mean that any duplicates would prioritize Force and Destiny 1st and hide any duplicates lower on the list. Like Wise if any Age of Rebellion Duplicates appeared any conflicts between it and Edge of the empire it would show just Age of Rebellion. That is of course that same item isn't in Force and Destiny otherwise it would win the conflict.

It sounds like a nightmare to code, But if you pulled it off it could mean not making another combine library and just use filters. What ever you choose to do I am good with.

About separating the skills I could be wrong and it could look great.
    I will see if this is possible, I can try. It could be in short term the easiest thing to do.
    So the above is Option A

Option B would be If we go the route of merging the libraries

So from my point of view, here are the challenges on merging the libraries:

1 - Backup/Restore: I will find a way for the code to identidy the records better, so this is not a big thing to stop us

2 - Performance: I dont really think it will be a big deal. I already by default open all modules at the same time, and also DND5 for example has hundreds of records and i have no issues opening a lot of them

3 - Source field great newsI just found out a way for us to use the Source field to add multiple sources!
    So here is the idea
    Imagine we merge all 3 current libraries. You would be able to just do this
    Lets say for example, you see 3 records for the skill Brawn
    They are exactly the same except each is from a core book, and each has a different "Source"

Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook (131)
    Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook (120)
    Force and Destiny Core Rulebook (129)

You could edit one of them, and have source be like:

Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook (131), Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook (120), Force and Destiny Core Rulebook (129)

And then remove the other 2

I will update the filter for Source, in a way that it will work

EDIT: I just thought that in option A, if we add a way to filter duplicates, it can mean filters may not work 100%
    For example, if we filter out a record from force and destiny as duplicate, if i use the filter to hide duplicates, this record will not show.

Duplications is indeed a challenge... we see this happening a lot between dnd modules.
    Last edited by johniba; July 13th, 2022 at 02:11.

Since I built a new PC a few months back I have not reinstalled FG Classic.
    Yesterday I did, ran a few test and noticed a lot of errors.

I will try to fix those things later, but they are not a high priority, unless it is affecting someone, so let me know.
    At this point I am really thinking if it is worth it trying to keep up with the code changes just to make it compatible with FGC

I just noticed there are some weird things like Specialization Tree is completely broken
    Last edited by johniba; July 13th, 2022 at 14:29.

In the month or so since the specialization trees have been available, you've gotten no complaints about any of the new features not working on classic. That seems evidence enough to me that we can safely put classic to rest. RIP.
    Last edited by Xarax; July 13th, 2022 at 16:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarax View Post
    In the month or so since the specialization trees have been available, you've gotten no complaints about any of the new features not working on classic. That seems evidence enough to me that we can safely put classic to rest. RIP.
    Not only this, but the previous ruleset (which is still findable on the forums) from way-back-when works well on FGC, I would suggest pointing people to that ruleset instead, and continuing the development on this one.

Just one GM's opinion
    Games Running:
    WePF Second Darkness (Pathfinder 1e)
    Raven's Purge - Saturdays (Forbidden Lands)
    SavageWorlds Sci-Fi Sundays (SWADE)
    Savage Worlds Gameday Thursdays (SWADE)

Thread Information