DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 21 of 282 First ... 1119202122233171121 ... Last

As an alternative to clicking the "roll dice pool" button, a player can instead use the /rolldicepool command
    Definately a good idea!

Talents in main tab now also show description, so it is easy to read all talents and what they do. (I will later do the same for Species and Special Abilities)
    That could easily turn into a wall of text, you would have to scroll through. Perhaps not so bad for Genesys, but for Star Wars. That will translate into lots and lots of text. It is certainly an interesting idea for the ease of fast reference.

Regarding the symbols:
    As I have done before, I started making a reference for the symbols by typing them directly into FG. I could not make any of the force symbols work. All others worked fine.
    Also, while you can have dark / light side results on dice, the corresponding symbols were changed from Edge of Empire (when the other ruleset was made) to Force And Destiny, where they refined a lot of things.
    The symbols for Light / dark side was replaced with a "force symbol". This is how it looks like:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...CE%2BGUIDE.jpg

Career / Species:
    I noticed that links dropped into the Career / Species slots do not make a copy of the reference, but merely links to it, unlike most other rulesets. This is fine, if you do not ever tinker with these references. However, if you want to customize 1 character slightly for - say story purposes - you would have to make a copy of said reference, alter it and then link it to that specific character - otherwise you would change it for all other characters too.

My personal view on this, is that any link dropped on to a character / npc, should be its own copy and not a reference. Because it is so easy to mess things up if you don't.

Well... I promised myself I wouldn't get ahead of myself and start working on stuff that I have planned before the dice symbols where in. I guess I don't have an excuse anymore! Great work so far!

There is a new problem with the new updated version of the ruleset with FGU just FYI:

When ever you drop a dice inside the Dicepool now it comes with the following errors

[2/16/2020 12:19:56 PM] [NOTICE] s'ChatManagerGenesys.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
    [2/16/2020 12:19:56 PM] [NOTICE] s'ChatManagerGenesys.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
    [2/16/2020 12:24:09 PM] [NOTICE] s'Campaign Option interface_cleardicepoolondrag set'
    [2/16/2020 12:24:09 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: sendPlayerDicepool. Dieliststring = dProficiency'
    [2/16/2020 12:24:09 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "classes/desktop/diebox.lua"]:235: attempt to concatenate local 'type' (a nil value)
    [2/16/2020 12:24:26 PM] [NOTICE] s'Campaign Option interface_cleardicepoolondrag set'
    [2/16/2020 12:24:26 PM] [NOTICE] s'dieboxmanager.lua: sendPlayerDicepool. Dieliststring = dProficiency,dBoost'
    [2/16/2020 12:24:26 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "classes/desktop/diebox.lua"]:235: attempt to concatenate local 'type' (a nil value)

I just tested the update and noticed that having the descriptions shown my not be the best. The descriptions can get quite long. You could have it reference the summery window instead. That way it's there for who want to make use of it. And if you don't just leave summery blank. Still it's up to you.

I had idea for the talents you could have sub categories for talents on the main page for different tier talents. This would be handy, for example so at a glance you could tell how many tier 1 talents you have so you know how many more you need before a tier 2. It also would be good for NPCs to see at a glance what there most powerful talents are. If you do go this route something to keep in mind is that there is no such distinction of tier talents in star wars so the extension would need to be changed accordingly. The summery idea would work even better with star wars since you could use the description they have in their trees for the summery.

I noticed some of the weapon names and weapon qualities gets cut off in the combat tab of the NPC and PC. I don't know if it could be fixed by allowing the players to resize the window or if making the name column wider would be better. For the weapon qualities if it word wrapped so to speak that would work.

Other than that everything is looking great thanks for your hard work.
    Last edited by sevrick; February 16th, 2020 at 15:41.

Quote Originally Posted by viresanimi View Post
    That could easily turn into a wall of text, you would have to scroll through. Perhaps not so bad for Genesys, but for Star Wars. That will translate into lots and lots of text. It is certainly an interesting idea for the ease of fast reference.
    That is a very good reason, and I am pretty sure the same problems would happen with Genesys, so I rolled back to how it was before.

Regarding the symbols:
    As I have done before, I started making a reference for the symbols by typing them directly into FG. I could not make any of the force symbols work. All others worked fine.
    Also, while you can have dark / light side results on dice, the corresponding symbols were changed from Edge of Empire (when the other ruleset was made) to Force And Destiny, where they refined a lot of things.
    The symbols for Light / dark side was replaced with a "force symbol". This is how it looks like:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...CE%2BGUIDE.jpg
    Thanks, while testing with creating new fonts, I saw that difference. I will make sure to take this into consideration when creating a new font for Star Wars.
    I wont be able to reuse the same one that the SW ruleset has, since it is not TTF.

Career / Species:
    I noticed that links dropped into the Career / Species slots do not make a copy of the reference, but merely links to it, unlike most other rulesets. This is fine, if you do not ever tinker with these references. However, if you want to customize 1 character slightly for - say story purposes - you would have to make a copy of said reference, alter it and then link it to that specific character - otherwise you would change it for all other characters too.

My personal view on this, is that any link dropped on to a character / npc, should be its own copy and not a reference. Because it is so easy to mess things up if you don't.
    Career / Species is working the same way as Classes/Races work in 3.5 and 5.
    When something like a Talent is dragged/copied into a sheet, it makes a copy of the whole record, so in the character we have all info from that record, in a child node.
    That means we have efectivelly a complete sub-record, so clicking that link in the sheet opens up that copied record and not the original link.

For Careers and "Races" though, that is different.
    We are only populating the Career/"Race" description, and just checked in the case of DnD 5, when you drag something like a class, it will also input more info into the sheet from that class (Something i will have to work and do too, because in our database careers and races will have subrecords like abilities for example, that we want copied over)
    So I just copied that behaviour when making the ruleset.
    I could copy the career/race record into a subrecord in the character node, but i think that would be overkill.

I think we have a choice: I could be done with the link and remove it... or we keep it this way.
    There is a bug that affects 3.5, 5 and also our ruleset (it is an issue in CORERPG i think, which all use): if you dragged a race/career/class into the sheet, and want to remove, you can empty the description, but the link remains, and the only way to change that is by dragging another record into it, and i want to fix that later.

BTW: I have removed the talent description, and reuploaded the ruleset

Quote Originally Posted by alfarobl View Post
    There is a new problem with the new updated version of the ruleset with FGU just FYI:

When ever you drop a dice inside the Dicepool now it comes with the following errors
    I just tested that issue, and it also happens with previous versions of genesys ruleset i have, it seems this is an issue with the recent FGU updates.
    I will write this down so i dont forget to check later....

Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    I just tested the update and noticed that having the descriptions shown my not be the best. The descriptions can get quite long. You could have it reference the summery window instead. That way it's there for who want to make use of it. And if you don't just leave summery blank. Still it's up to you.

I had idea for the talents you could have sub categories for talents on the main page for different tier talents. This would be handy, for example so at a glance you could tell how many tier 1 talents you have so you know how many more you need before a tier 2. It also would be good for NPCs to see at a glance what there most powerful talents are. If you do go this route something to keep in mind is that there is no such distinction of tier talents in star wars so the extension would need to be changed accordingly. The summery idea would work even better with star wars since you could use the description they have in their trees for the summery.

I noticed some of the weapon names and weapon qualities gets cut off in the combat tab of the NPC and PC. I don't know if it could be fixed by allowing the players to resize the window or if making the name column wider would be better. For the weapon qualities if it word wrapped so to speak that would work.

Other than that everything is looking great thanks for your hard work.
    - Talent descriptions:
    Yeah it was a bad idea and i reverted back (download available already)
    What reference summary window do you mean? Does it exist somewhere already, where I can look at? If not, describe what you mean and i can make it work!

I like the idea of tiers in the main tab.
    Maybe I could list it like Skills are listed, add a column for the Tier, and also reorder the list, showing something like:

Talent description - Tier

So you would see:

TalentAAA - Tier 1
    TalentBBB - Tier 1
    TalentAAX - Tier 2

Also, this makes me think i need to improve the Talent database window... allow search filters by tier, and possiobly make a window similar to items, for talents, so we can have a nice window displaying them... i will make this

When it comes the time to work on the update for star wars, I will take this into consideration, i will have to look at the rulebook anyway, and get you guys feedback....
    We may have some improvements also, maybe features SW ruleset users have in their wishlist

I just had an idea.
    I think i will change the layout on the combat tab, make that part where weapons are displayed wider, putting talent/etca below it.
    That way, i can make that combat list a one liner (just like the skills tab)
    I think this will solve the problem, plus i thought of something else:
    This way in combat tab i could maybe display ALL weapons the character is carrying, and just like in the inventory tab, add the "carried/equiped" icon.
    This way during turns, the player knows if the weapon is in his hand or not, and even during play inform he is spending a mavouver to equip, for example.

After that, below weapons, i display one half to the left: talents and abilities... and to the right: crit damage, ongoing effects

I think the window will look better

When entering information into a talent the summery is there I just never filled it in because I didn't know what it would be used for. I guess now we do.

That sounds good with the talents. I pictured it differently by Replacing the Talents Header in the main tab with; Tier 1 Talents, Tier 2 Talents, etc... Then when you dragged talents from the library and it would put it where it goes. This way you wouldn't need to add columns that would take away room from the summery description of the talent.

Either way not sure witch one would look better yet.
    Last edited by sevrick; February 16th, 2020 at 16:31.

Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    I just had an idea.
    I think i will change the layout on the combat tab, make that part where weapons are displayed wider, putting talent/etca below it.
    That way, i can make that combat list a one liner (just like the skills tab)
    I think this will solve the problem, plus i thought of something else:
    This way in combat tab i could maybe display ALL weapons the character is carrying, and just like in the inventory tab, add the "carried/equiped" icon.
    This way during turns, the player knows if the weapon is in his hand or not, and even during play inform he is spending a mavouver to equip, for example.

After that, below weapons, i display one half to the left: talents and abilities... and to the right: crit damage, ongoing effects

I think the window will look better
    Sounds awesome. Although I can't get a picture in my head of what it would look like I am sure it will be good.

When entering information into a talent the summery is there I just never filled it in because I didn't know what it would be used for. I guess now we do.

That sounds good with the talents. I pictured it differently by Replacing the Talents Header in the main tab with; Tier 1 Talents, Tier 2 Talents, etc... Then when you dragged talents from the library and it would put it where it goes. This way you wouldn't need to add columns that would take away room from the summery description of the talent.

Either way not sure witch one would look better yet.
    OK I will try to make it like that

Thread Information