FG Spreadshirt Swag
    I didn't think I would need it but I ended up needing it. That is formatting text for "Use with" section for the Attachments. Occasionally it calls for some Bolding of text.

Along that same lines, eventually it might be a good idea to add some sort of function that allows you to check boxes or something on installed mods on an attachments. Also show which mods you failed to install. No need for this right away, just throwing it out there so some ideas can be forming in the meantime.
    Last edited by sevrick; September 29th, 2021 at 21:14.

Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    I didn't think I would need it but I ended up needing it. That is formatting text for "Use with" section for the Attachments. Occasionally it calls for some Bolding of text.

Along that same lines, eventually it might be a good idea to add some sort of function that allows you to check boxes or something on installed mods on an attachments. Also show which mods you failed to install. No need for this right away, just throwing it out there so some ideas can be forming in the meantime.

I can change Use with to formattedtext. I will do this for the next release.

On the checkbox thing, let me see if I understand

For example, I have a weapon, and it has like 3 attachments
    You say, we would have a checkbox to the left of each of those attachments, where I could check on/off?

I wonder if that would not be redundant? I always assumed, if you have a mod in an item, it means it was installed...

Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    I can change Use with to formattedtext. I will do this for the next release.

On the checkbox thing, let me see if I understand

For example, I have a weapon, and it has like 3 attachments
    You say, we would have a checkbox to the left of each of those attachments, where I could check on/off?

I wonder if that would not be redundant? I always assumed, if you have a mod in an item, it means it was installed...
    So the way Attachments and mods work is like this. (All this can be read on page 187 of the Edge of the Empire core rulebook)
    If you want to install an attachment on an item you just do it and gain the Base Modifiers effect. You could leave as is and be fine, but modifaction options allow mechanics to test there luck by enhancing the attachment further through mods.
    Each modification option has a number before it. This signifies how many times you can attempt to install this particular mod on this attachment. Installing a mod requires a Hard Mechanics check on the 1st mod you install and some credits. Each mod installed after the 1st increases the difficulty by 1.
    For example lets use Augmented Spin Barrel.

It has Modification Options of 2 Damage +1 mods, 1 Weapon Quality (Accurate +1)Mod, 1 Weapon Quality (Pierce +1) Mod.

If I wanted to Increase my damage by +1 I would make a Hard Mechanics. I roll and succeed now I have used one of the two +1 damage mods. I try my luck add attempt it again at an increase difficulty, so a Daunting Mechanics Check. I failed this one now I can't attempt to install any more +1 Damage mods. Since the 1st one I succeeded but the 2nd one I failed regardless I will have to buy another entire attachment to attempt this mod again starting from scratch if I am dead set on having a total of +2 damage with this attachment. Now this doesn't stop me from attempting the other mods such as the one that gives me the accurate quality.

This is why it is important to track which mod options have failed. So you know that you can't attempt it again. Also it is useful to see which mods you have installed successfully so far.

You could add mods individually to the attachments input the number of installs allowed and the mod would have that number of check boxes. Unchecked means not installed, a Check could mean Installed, and an X or something could mean failed check. The boxes could look similar to the skill check boxes you have for ranks.

So: Checked, X, Unchecked
    Could mean There are 3 attempts for a mod and you made the 1st failed the 2nd and haven't attempted the 3rd.

These are just some ideas. You would know in the end if any of these ideas could be implemented.

Edit: Oh btw with adding formatting text to the "Use With" can you add it to "Base Modifiers" as well.
    Last edited by sevrick; September 29th, 2021 at 22:17.

So the way Attachments and mods work is like this. (All this can be read on page 187 of the Edge of the Empire core rulebook)
    If you want to install an attachment on an item you just do it and gain the Base Modifiers effect. You could leave as is and be fine, but modifaction options allow mechanics to test there luck by enhancing the attachment further through mods.
    Each modification option has a number before it. This signifies how many times you can attempt to install this particular mod on this attachment. Installing a mod requires a Hard Mechanics check on the 1st mod you install and some credits. Each mod installed after the 1st increases the difficulty by 1.
    For example lets use Augmented Spin Barrel.

It has Modification Options of 2 Damage +1 mods, 1 Weapon Quality (Accurate +1)Mod, 1 Weapon Quality (Pierce +1) Mod.

If I wanted to Increase my damage by +1 I would make a Hard Mechanics. I roll and succeed now I have used one of the two +1 damage mods. I try my luck add attempt it again at an increase difficulty, so a Daunting Mechanics Check. I failed this one now I can't attempt to install any more +1 Damage mods. Since the 1st one I succeeded but the 2nd one I failed regardless I will have to buy another entire attachment to attempt this mod again starting from scratch if I am dead set on having a total of +2 damage with this attachment. Now this doesn't stop me from attempting the other mods such as the one that gives me the accurate quality.

This is why it is important to track which mod options have failed. So you know that you can't attempt it again. Also it is useful to see which mods you have installed successfully so far.

You could add mods individually to the attachments input the number of installs allowed and the mod would have that number of check boxes. Unchecked means not installed, a Check could mean Installed, and an X or something could mean failed check. The boxes could look similar to the skill check boxes you have for ranks.

So: Checked, X, Unchecked
    Could mean There are 3 attempts for a mod and you made the 1st failed the 2nd and haven't attempted the 3rd.

These are just some ideas. You would know in the end if any of these ideas could be implemented.

Edit: Oh btw with adding formatting text to the "Use With" can you add it to "Base Modifiers" as well.
    Thanks for all the explanation.
    I will read the rules, see if i can make something nice.

This is really cool Sevrick. I I can make a request regarding it that perhaps when it is implemented this ruleset would be something that can be toggled on and off for Genesys provided it isn't a pain to implement. My Shadowrun items could definitely make use of this being implemented well even though the ruleset doesn't make use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarax View Post
    This is really cool Sevrick. I I can make a request regarding it that perhaps when it is implemented this ruleset would be something that can be toggled on and off for Genesys provided it isn't a pain to implement. My Shadowrun items could definitely make use of this being implemented well even though the ruleset doesn't make use of it.
    Yeah the attachment/mods is one of my favorite things about this system.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarax View Post
    Yeah the attachment/mods is one of my favorite things about this system.

Yeah it is not difficult to implement in Genesys as optional.
    This is the nice stuff of both rulesets actually extending from each other.

I am going to read the pages on the rules Sevrick pointed out, to see if i can get some inspiration on how to make this.

Also on some completely different news... I have been updating the code that executed dice rolls in the rulesets.

When I started coding it, it was some of the first things I did.
    I was just starting to learn how to code in FG and some stuff I was just copying parts without knowing 100% of how it worked. Most of the code was a frankenstein of things from the previous rulesets like warhammer FR 3rd and the previous Star Wars FGClassic ruleset (which also borrowed from WFRP3 ruleset)

The problem with the code is that it uses some really old method of rolling dice.
    I have read some cool posts by Trenloe explaining how to code dicerolls in the most recent versions of FG, and have redone some parts.

The cool thing is that now, the code passes me the TARGET the PC or NPC doing the action is targetting...
    So, for now this means not much, but it is ready for me to do some small automations, specially in regards to maybe adding defense dice automatically to the roll based on the target... and also maybe apply damage automatically
    Some other nice things is that this new code will allow me to start writing another cool automation: the ability to add the weapon and talent specials to rolls...

But before I do that, I will do this attachment change, and also focus on the specialization and talent trees

After that... I will add some cool automation using that update in the dice rolls
    Last edited by johniba; September 30th, 2021 at 17:13.

<deleted>
    Last edited by Xarax; September 30th, 2021 at 17:15. Reason: Double post

Automation! Aaaaahhh! Bring it on. Don't threaten me with a good time! I am always forgetting to add defense dice to rolls.

Thanks for all your doing on this Johniba!

Sorry guys no go on the Star Wars Libraries in the forge. I was emailed and told that in so many words for this type of library I they would have to get special permission from FFG and they didn't really want to bother with it, since they would have to sift through a lot of legal mumbo jumbo.

So I guess the libraries will have to stay in the cloud.
    Last edited by sevrick; October 1st, 2021 at 16:17.

Thread Information