FG Spreadshirt Swag
    NPC Inport Button.PNG

The Blue arrow button appears in not just Genesys/Star Wars Ruleset, because I tested it in Pathfinder 2E. Do you have this button on your end? It is still there after disabling all extensions.
    Last edited by sevrick; September 13th, 2021 at 23:56.

Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    NPC Inport Button.PNG

The Blue arrow button appears in not just Genesys/Star Wars Ruleset, because I tested it in Pathfinder 2E. Do you have this button on your end? It is still there after disabling all extensions.
    Yes, I can see that button

Also, checking CORE ruleset, if you open an npc record, and you right click it, you will see a menu option to Export Record

So, I will add that option, to right click the npc sheet, and export the npc record

EDIT: Hey, so this is nice.
    I added the ability to right click on a PC or NPC record, and "export record"

That will probably be useful for some people, also, importing works by clicking on that blue button

I will check if I can add also export to other records like items, vehicles...
    Last edited by johniba; September 14th, 2021 at 00:57.

Can't remember if I've made this suggestion yet but if not here goes: for the action tab being able to add drag and the enhanced text to the descriptions in the actions tab (such as being able to use ctrl+4 to create bullet points (no idea if its easy or possible). Example creating a stun entry for a magic spell, enter the description of the spell and then a link to what stun does. Would help a great deal I think. While we are on the actions tab, spells seem to be the thing that will see the most use of this tab. That said being able to drag and drop difficulty dice from the dice pool into the currently numerical difficulty dice would be super helpful. Maybe the spell is unpracticed and needs Red dice instead of a purple. Maybe they have a knack for casting that spell and need a blue every time they use it--things like that. If it's already on the list let me know and my apologies if it is, low priority it as you've got enough on the list already!

Thanks again for all the work on this!

Quote Originally Posted by Xarax View Post
    Can't remember if I've made this suggestion yet but if not here goes: for the action tab being able to add drag and the enhanced text to the descriptions in the actions tab (such as being able to use ctrl+4 to create bullet points (no idea if its easy or possible). Example creating a stun entry for a magic spell, enter the description of the spell and then a link to what stun does. Would help a great deal I think. While we are on the actions tab, spells seem to be the thing that will see the most use of this tab. That said being able to drag and drop difficulty dice from the dice pool into the currently numerical difficulty dice would be super helpful. Maybe the spell is unpracticed and needs Red dice instead of a purple. Maybe they have a knack for casting that spell and need a blue every time they use it--things like that. If it's already on the list let me know and my apologies if it is, low priority it as you've got enough on the list already!

Thanks again for all the work on this!

What do you mean by add drag?

Enhanced text, I can definitelly change the field for that. The only drawback is that I will have to change the field type, and that could mean losing existing data, but i will see if i can make a code to convert it if it detects an old format on the field (from a previous edit in the previous version of the ruleset)

Now about adding dice to actions and also to weapons: I am working on that, running some tests, and I think I can add it soon. It should replace the current difficulty field in actions, to a proper field to add any dice.

Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    What do you mean by add drag?
    Like being able to drag a dice from the pile below the pool and drop it into what is currently the difficulty box but will probably need to be renamed

Enhanced text, I can definitelly change the field for that. The only drawback is that I will have to change the field type, and that could mean losing existing data, but i will see if i can make a code to convert it if it detects an old format on the field (from a previous edit in the previous version of the ruleset)
    Out of curiosity, is the way that FG does spells in 5e difficult to implement? I ask because it might solve some of the issues we are currently talking about:

in the 5e framework the button link on the side of the spell has the whole description of the spell. It can easily hold the descriptive text and even hold links to other descriptions to the qualities that additional spells add. If we go this route there will be no worry at all about changing the field and deleting the text that is already there. You could do a time delay release: one where the button has been added and a second release that would remove the field text beneath the action in the actions tab completely to clean up the interface. This would allow anyone who needs to transfer the text from one location to the other to do so and then have a nice clean display after the transfer has been done.

Regarding Genesys spell effects: there are basically only 11 actual spells (maybe a few more in books I don't own). The spells take on flavor when you add additional aspects to them which in turn add to the difficulty of the check. I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement this but the current short layout gave me an idea: is it possible to set up each of the 11 spells and have a drop down option or a nested list of variants beneath that spell which will add their their increased difficulty to the dice pool and add the effects that are being added to the text box and maybe even to the target when we get to that point.

Now about adding dice to actions and also to weapons: I am working on that, running some tests, and I think I can add it soon. It should replace the current difficulty field in actions, to a proper field to add any dice.
    Awesome. Sorry if I am being too much. Casters have always been my favorite kind of pc and my current game has had 4 of 5 being a caster of some kind. Really appreciate all the work your putting into this. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know, even if it's to shut up and let you do the work you already have in the queue without dumping more [potentially distracting] ideas onto the pile!

Like being able to drag a dice from the pile below the pool and drop it into what is currently the difficulty box but will probably need to be renamed
    Ah I see.... that is exactly what I am working on...
    I want a box where you can drag any dice, and it will roll those with the dice roll for the action
    Same thing for weapon rolls

Out of curiosity, is the way that FG does spells in 5e difficult to implement? I ask because it might solve some of the issues we are currently talking about:

in the 5e framework the button link on the side of the spell has the whole description of the spell. It can easily hold the descriptive text and even hold links to other descriptions to the qualities that additional spells add. If we go this route there will be no worry at all about changing the field and deleting the text that is already there. You could do a time delay release: one where the button has been added and a second release that would remove the field text beneath the action in the actions tab completely to clean up the interface. This would allow anyone who needs to transfer the text from one location to the other to do so and then have a nice clean display after the transfer has been done.
    Actually part of the code I am using for Actions/spells/powers is straight from 5e
    I have modified it, removing a lot of the complex stuff that only works for 5E.
    I am having a bit of trouble to understand what part of 5e with buttons/text you mean... i wonder if you could attach an image and explain? Sorry...

About the timed release, i like that idea... it makes it easier for me, and I will try to do that

Regarding Genesys spell effects: there are basically only 11 actual spells (maybe a few more in books I don't own). The spells take on flavor when you add additional aspects to them which in turn add to the difficulty of the check. I have no idea how difficult it would be to implement this but the current short layout gave me an idea: is it possible to set up each of the 11 spells and have a drop down option or a nested list of variants beneath that spell which will add their their increased difficulty to the dice pool and add the effects that are being added to the text box and maybe even to the target when we get to that point.
    I dont know if this is what you mean, but you can already have like one spell, and have multiple different actions (rolls) associated with it.
    The idea is exactly that:
    The main spell record explains the spell, and even some of the possibilities/different casts for the spell
    Then, you right click the spell go to menu "add action", and add one more Skill roll

Each action currently only have: "skill" for the roll,"difficulty" (difficulty dice only for now), and range
    Maybe I could add a new field, for "name"
    I just dont know if it would be too much information on the screen, maybe to add an extra description below that.

But I left it intentionally open to interpretation on how to use this part of the ruleset.

You could have a spell like this, where you have a spell like:

- Attack
    And then separate actions like
    - Blast
    - Close combat

etca...

OR

Spell could mean something completely customized.
    I think that is actually one of the intentions in the core rules... that you would actually record "most common" spells you want to cast...

Something more specific, like:

Spell: Fireball
    In the description I would say it is an Attack spell, with effects: Fire and Blast
    Then I would add an action:

- Skill: Arcana, difficulty: 3 (one from the attack spell, +1 from blast, +1 from fire)

That is how you would end up having a "spellbook"

But let me know more about your idea, I want to make a system where it is flexible and could work in different ways, without having to create an extension for specific stuff

Awesome. Sorry if I am being too much. Casters have always been my favorite kind of pc and my current game has had 4 of 5 being a caster of some kind. Really appreciate all the work your putting into this. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know, even if it's to shut up and let you do the work you already have in the queue without dumping more [potentially distracting] ideas onto the pile!

I also appreciate all this feedback you are providing. I feel like if I can manage to realize your idea on how to make that action for spells, plus my idea, we will have a kick *** system!

My intention is something that people can come up even with special powers from their custom worlds...

You have to come up with a system that allowed you to add your own spells to the 11. I am sure people will make more. You would also have to allow for people to add their own narrative results.
    This seems like a lot of work to just display somthing that is already in the core book. It all most sounds like you are asking for a spell crafting wizard in ruleset. It is very easy to create your own spells. I mean the end result is the same you still would have a preset difficulty and skill to roll against. The only way I could see this having use is if you didnt have the books and wanted to create a spell on the fly. Perhaps I am not understanding. I am not trying to shut your idea down, just adding a different perspective.😁

Also keep in mind the broad nature of the genesys system. Spells may not work the same in every setting.

I am having a bit of trouble to understand what part of 5e with buttons/text you mean... i wonder if you could attach an image and explain? Sorry...
    Basically put the description on to its own page taking this:
    Screenshot (67).png

And putting it into one of these:
    Screenshot (68).png

I hope that makes what I am talking about a bit more clear.

You could have a spell like this, where you have a spell like:

- Attack
    And then separate actions like
    - Blast
    - Close combat
    This is exactly how I am doing it now and I get you can set up a "spellbook" by setting these up before hand, which works great. But what about casting these abilities on the fly? Currently the framework process goes a little like this:

Click Attack and it adds the casting skill + 2 purple-> check how many purples Blast adds->1? Add a purple to the pool manually-> Check how many Blast adds->1 purple and a blue? add them to the pool manually ->check how many Close combat adds -> 1 red? -> add a red to the pool manually->That everything? Roll? Roll. ->Result.

My thought to improve this process would be to have all the possible spell effects nested beneath the initial spell or have it activate a pop up window with the possible additions to that spell that could be added in just a few clicks and would allow you to on the fly ready the spell you want to cast for any situation with just a few clicks:

-Attack (add 2 purple die + character's casting skill),
    -Fire (add the number of purple normally required for this attack spell addition automatically),
    -Blast (add the number of purple normally required for this attack spell addition + a blue because of a magic item that always gives a blue for blast automatically),
    -Close combat (add a Red because caster is unpracticed on this spell effect automatically), etc.
    - and then click roll, and have THAT be how the spell casters populate the spell action's dicepool.

Naturally the player or GM would need to set these up individually but once they were set up spells could be as easy as a few clicks: Attack -> Fire-> Blast -> Close -> Roll -> Result

As long as I am pie in the sky dreaming here, it would be great if the generated result looked for spell effects that were activated: for instance in the above roll lets say that the dice pool generates 3 successes and 3 advantage. This provides the damage total same as if it were a weapon, and then lets you know something like: "you may spend 2 advantage to activate the blast effect."

Hopefully this adequately describes what I am imagining. Thanks again for all your work on this! Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Xarax; September 15th, 2021 at 22:10.

Quote Originally Posted by sevrick View Post
    You have to come up with a system that allowed you to add your own spells to the 11. I am sure people will make more. You would also have to allow for people to add their own narrative results.
    This seems like a lot of work to just display somthing that is already in the core book. It all most sounds like you are asking for a spell crafting wizard in ruleset. It is very easy to create your own spells. I mean the end result is the same you still would have a preset difficulty and skill to roll against. The only way I could see this having use is if you didnt have the books and wanted to create a spell on the fly. Perhaps I am not understanding. I am not trying to shut your idea down, just adding a different perspective.��

Also keep in mind the broad nature of the genesys system. Spells may not work the same in every setting.
    Not necessarily a spell casting wizard in ruleset but a streamlining of the process. Creating presets for spells is great and the fact we can now quick bar them is also awesome. However it seems to me that Genesys spells are designed to be a bit freer than the locked in stone spellbook method. It is as you say a broad system. Don't get me wrong, every caster will have a few go-to preset attack spells they almost always go for, but when we aren't dealing with attack spells it gets a lot more situational.

Basically put the description on to its own page taking this:
    Screenshot (67).png

And putting it into one of these:
    Screenshot (68).png

I hope that makes what I am talking about a bit more clear.

This is exactly how I am doing it now and I get you can set up a "spellbook" by setting these up before hand, which works great. But what about casting these abilities on the fly? Currently the framework process goes a little like this:

Click Attack and it adds the casting skill + 2 purple-> check how many purples Blast adds->1? Add a purple to the pool manually-> Check how many Blast adds->1 purple and a blue? add them to the pool manually ->check how many Close combat adds -> 1 red? -> add a red to the pool manually->That everything? Roll? Roll. ->Result.

My thought to improve this process would be to have all the possible spell effects nested beneath the initial spell or have it activate a pop up window with the possible additions to that spell that could be added in just a few clicks and would allow you to on the fly ready the spell you want to cast for any situation with just a few clicks:

-Attack (add 2 purple die + character's casting skill),
    -Fire (add the number of purple normally required for this attack spell addition automatically),
    -Blast (add the number of purple normally required for this attack spell addition + a blue because of a magic item that always gives a blue for blast automatically),
    -Close combat (add a Red because caster is unpracticed on this spell effect automatically), etc.
    - and then click roll, and have THAT be how the spell casters populate the spell action's dicepool.

Naturally the player or GM would need to set these up individually but once they were set up spells could be as easy as a few clicks: Attack -> Fire-> Blast -> Close -> Roll -> Result

As long as I am pie in the sky dreaming here, it would be great if the generated result looked for spell effects that were activated: for instance in the above roll lets say that the dice pool generates 3 successes and 3 advantage. This provides the damage total same as if it were a weapon, and then lets you know something like: "you may spend 2 advantage to activate the blast effect."

Hopefully this adequately describes what I am imagining. Thanks again for all your work on this! Hope it helps.
    I think I see what you mean.

I will keep this noted, and check how we can make something about it, after I work on talents/spec trees

I definitelly can make something, we will see

Thread Information