Page 1 of 36 12311 ... Last

Genesys (FFG RPG) work in progress (Download available!)

EDIT:

This is a preview. I would say it is version 0.7 or something.
    It is functional, but as a disclaimer, I would advise not to put your important things in it (do not waste too many hours preparing content like campain data etca without a backup)

Oh man I am also so excited!

I am clocking so many hours working on this, it is insane!
    If it wasnt for my vacation, I dont think I would have pulled it off

So, This is still Work in progress, there are a few things to iron out, and features to include, but i thought I could share it already!

The ruleset is already WORKING!

So here is a quick list of what is working:

1 - Genesys narrative dice working
    - you can type /diegen and roll manually (type /diegen and press enter, for instructions)
    - you can also drag dice to the dice pool, or double click characteristics, initiative, or skill rolls

2 - Character sheet 90% done
    - It is still work in progress, I need to add a place to input info like Motivations, fear etca
    - At the moment it lists all Core skills (I am adding a neat feature that will allow you to click and change your settings (Android, Terrinoth, etca) and it will change the display of skills
    - You can manually add custom skills (so you can actually play android, etca, if you want)

3 - Databases:
    - I will still customize npc, items, careers, talents, etca. This is using CORE, so no custom tables needed, it is actually a lot easier customizing this way and keeps compatibility

4 - Combat tracker and initiative, and automation on combat:
    - players can roll initiative (from char sheet), but there is no automation yet so you have to manually insert players and npcs in the tracker, and control from there
    - no automation on combat: you can roll dice etca, but you need to calculate damage manually
    - critical tables: not ready yet, but i do want to add them (and allow players to customize it)

5 - MISC:
    - I removed all default dice from the ruleset, except for d10 since we use it for rolling tables like critical.
    - Dice image in the desktop is now from Genesys and not star wars, but the rolled icons are still star wars (workin on this, i am very crappy with image editors so I left it for last)

I still have so much to work on, but the great thing is how the code is coming up. Whenever possible I am not touching any code from Core, making it very easy to maintain, and less prone to break on updates

Please download it, and let me know what you think.. also ask me anything and I will do my best to reply

I am still learning (I cant believe two weeks ago I had no idea how to do this...

To think that I am using my vacation time to code, being a programmer, is kind of ironic... but i havent been this excited in so long!

Download link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UN...oEoWSoSeVhWxR-

To install, place this file in your ruleset folder in Fantasy Grounds

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD POST:

So, I am on vacation, recently played Genesys for the first time, and I love it.

I also love FantasyGrounds, and have used Warhammer FRP 3rd and Star Wars EotE rulesets, so it got me thinking on a Genesys one.

I decided I wanted to learn how to create a ruleset, and so far I am obsessed by it.
    I have been working on this for the past week, with only sleeping for a while LOL!

So far, here is my goal:

- Create a Genesys ruleset, that imports CoreRPG ruleset from FantasyGrounds
    - Try to keep it simple (have a release available for players as soon as I have minimum features enough to play)
    - Keep it clean code (easier to update, and I should not redo code that CoreRPG already has)

The base for this code started with me looking at how some things have been done in WFRP/SW, specially with the funky dice.

So, the screenshot below might not be impressive, and you will notice that it currently used Star Wars graphics for dice, and story points, BUT the important is under the hood!

So as I said, most of the engine is CoreRPG, and I so far I added:

1 - Custom Dice
    For this, I have looked into code done on a Mutant Year Zero extension done by Ian M Ward
    My goal was to make it as simple as possible, keeping functionality from the dice in SW, but using CoreRPG (removing a LOT of code)

2 - Story points
    Again, based on code from SW ruleset, but now very simple and using CoreRPG

The Genesys ruleset is functional: Dice system and Story Point system is working, but now I am working on:

- Character Sheets: I want to have the Core sheet, with basic dice automation (get dice from a skill for example, and roll it)

After that, I want to create an extention for Terrinoth and Android sheets, so people can use them in the ruleset.

I think after this, I can release the first version, so people can give feedback, and even play online

I have then a wishlist of features I want / will add:

- basic automation for damage, crit damage
    - basic module to assist creating characters/npcs (like dragn and drop talents, etca)

Hopefully I can finish it this week....

Let me know what you guys think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johniba; January 24th, 2020 at 03:44. Reason: trying to edit the title to include new info

I love the Genesys system! If you need someone to test it, I am right here.

Vires Animi

Quote Originally Posted by viresanimi View Post
    I love the Genesys system! If you need someone to test it, I am right here.

Vires Animi
    Thanks Vires!

I will see that I share this with you, we might even get online and run some tests, it will be nice to get feedback from someone else

I have done some cleanup on the code.

The genesys dice system does not interfere with CoreRPG dice rolls:
    I have a /diegen now: something like /diegen 2dAbility+2dDifficulty+bBoon can be executed. This will come in handy with light automation of skill rolls, for example.

It does not interfere with a /die roll, from CoreRPG
    Also, an issue that Warhammer FRP3 and Star Wars have is that "normal" die, when rolled, will not show numbers in them in the chat window.
    I have fixed that... so if I roll a normal die, it shows as expected...

Genesys die does not interfere with normal CoreRPG dice rolls, the ruleset understands when a genesys roll is being done, or a normal die roll (which can be used for anything else)

Storypoints are working: very simple though

As with the dicebox pool, the storypoints chits I imported from the star wars code. I have changed the code so it uses CoreRPG, to remove redundancy in the code.

Tomorrow I will start on the character sheet.

Great work! Looking forward to the finished product.
    Everywhen brings the action and adventure of the Barbarians of Lemuria (BoL:ME) roleplaying system to all times and places!

Previously: MurghBpurn

Best of luck in your endeavor. I know a bunch of players wishing to see this project succeed. In the meantime we have enjoyed playing Android and Realms of Terrinoth using the SW ext.

I too am interested in your progress. I have yet to play Genesys but have played FFG Star Wars extensively, and I know there is a current effort to get SW EotE over to UNITY. If you get the Genesys rule system working with CoreRPG, perhaps someone can create a Star Wars extension for Genesys. And I am not a software coder but perhaps making it CoreRPG based will allow it to port more easily into UNITY.

Also I believe someone (joeblack1863) in another thread was trying to make a Genesys and Star Wars dice font. Maybe you have some info that will help him. That thread is located at:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-OTF-TTF-fonts
    Last edited by punisher5150; January 19th, 2020 at 17:02.

Genesys is just the Star Wars system with the serial numbers filed off, the only thing that needs changing to switch from one to the other is to change the dice symbols and add the force die for the Star Wars game. Change the background and a couple lines of code and voila, you've got Star Wars.

Thanks tons for trying to get a CoreRPG version up and running, that should hopefully be more future-proof than the older non-core version. I'll sleep a bit better for the future of my Star Wars campaign once there's a core ruleset working in Unity.

Quote Originally Posted by Valatar View Post
    Genesys is just the Star Wars system with the serial numbers filed off, the only thing that needs changing to switch from one to the other is to change the dice symbols and add the force die for the Star Wars game. Change the background and a couple lines of code and voila, you've got Star Wars.

Thanks tons for trying to get a CoreRPG version up and running, that should hopefully be more future-proof than the older non-core version. I'll sleep a bit better for the future of my Star Wars campaign once there's a core ruleset working in Unity.

Yeah, I have to agree in part with you, it is one of those situations of "if it works, dont mess with it"

I am learning so much about rulesets and extensions, that I believe I can change those dice symbols very easly in that SW extension (I have done in the Genesys ruleset already)

So why am I still working on this?

Well, the answer is not short, but I will try.
    Looking at the code from the SW ruleset I can see A LOT of left over code from Warhammer one, and I cannot blame the guys who worked on it, if I knew it would take so many hours to work on cleaning the code, and making it use CoreRPG in correct places, I am not sure I would have started LOL

The other great thing about the Genesys ruleset at the moment, is that since it is CoreRPG with the Genesys extra stuff, it works with the new module structure.

Welll, but in the end, I think the best is that having a clean code that uses the standard base of Core, is that it will be so easier to maintaing, in case FFG updates stuff (and they will)

I have not tested the code in FFG Unity yet, but since I only have custom code where needed, it is probably easy to fix once the time comes.

Right now, I have finished part of the character sheet, I think the worst of it is behind me, but I only have 6 more days on vacation and I really want to have a first version before it ends

Ironically, I think I can later work on a SW extension for Genesys ruleset, or I believe the devs on SW ruleset could canibalize the code I worked on, to update SW
    Last edited by johniba; January 20th, 2020 at 05:08.

Quote Originally Posted by punisher5150 View Post
    I too am interested in your progress. I have yet to play Genesys but have played FFG Star Wars extensively, and I know there is a current effort to get SW EotE over to UNITY. If you get the Genesys rule system working with CoreRPG, perhaps someone can create a Star Wars extension for Genesys. And I am not a software coder but perhaps making it CoreRPG based will allow it to port more easily into UNITY.

Also I believe someone (joeblack1863) in another thread was trying to make a Genesys and Star Wars dice font. Maybe you have some info that will help him. That thread is located at:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-OTF-TTF-fonts
    Thank you so much for all this info!

Yes you are correct, having Genesys use CoreRPG, and since CoreRPG works in unity, means less stuff to fix (only the specific genesys code), to make it work on unity

If I have enough time after i finish the ruleset, I will start testing on unity

I will check that thread, thanks a lot

Thread Information