FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Really high CPU usage

I noticed today, that my Ryzen 7 2700X system shows 1% CPU utilization, and my older i5 4590 system shows 80%-100% CPU usage.

Both while just sitting at the Launcher.

What gives?

Yes please. I have two i5 4 core Win10 boxes that this happens on. It makes FGU unusable.

I don't have links handy, but the devs have responded several times that FGU has had essentially no optimization work at all yet and that it won't get it until the bugs and features are much further along. The network protocols are still buggy enough that they're advising against live play sessions. They've got to knock that down before moving on to optimization work (which is on the roadmap).

Your experience is typical of the current state of the beta, but things will improve prior to general availability.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thefile View Post
    Yes please. I have two i5 4 core Win10 boxes that this happens on. It makes FGU unusable.
    What makes FGU unusable? And please precisely define what you mean by "unusable".

Please provide details in a manner similar to how it is listed in this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...s-and-Problems

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

CPU load goes to 100% on load of Launcher. Launch of vanilla 5E game takes 10 minutes to come up, unless minimized. Minimized it takes <1 minute. CPU stays at 100%.

Steps to reproduce the error: Start FGU
    If related to updating, please include relevant section of the "FantasyGroundsUpdater.log" file found in your FG installation directory. N/A
    Any relevant information from the "console.log" file found in your FG Data directory.
    [1/16/2020 8:32:56 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
    [1/16/2020 8:36:26 PM] [NOTICE] Spawning private server.
    [1/16/2020 8:36:26 PM] [NOTICE] Connected to game server.
    [1/16/2020 8:36:26 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene exiting.
    [1/16/2020 8:36:27 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene starting.

Operating system (Mac OS 10.15, Windows 10, etc): Windows 10
    Ruleset(s) you are experiencing the issue(s) in. I've only tried 5E, but occurs in the Launcher, anyway
    Is this a newly FGU created campaign or one migrated from FGC? Default Campaign, vanilla install
    What modules do you have loaded? Are any of these DLC from sources other than the FGU updater? (i.e. manually migrated or 3rd party content): None.
    Intel i5-2400 8GB RAM, SSD Disk

I have an Intel i7-4790k and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 ti.

I don't have high GPU usage unless I'm doing multiple images WITH weather FX, but I do get relatively high CPU usage, even switching from the main tab on a character sheet to the actions tab, FGU's CPU usage will go from 40-50% when idle to 100% usage and it takes a second or two to actually switch to the tab, then another second or two to actually load all the weapons, coding, effects, spells, etc.

Blog Entries
    @thefile, I want to make sure I understand the issue. So right now FGU is not crashing? It is just taking a long time to launch (unless you minimize, which is interesting). That would indicate to mean that FGU is usable, just slow.

If that is the case, it's pretty much known, no performance optimization is yet being done. Stability is the focus at the moment. But, to help identify this, have you added any graphic assets (maps, tokens, etc) to FGU yet? Do you have many of the token packs from the FG Store?

Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

@LordEntrails This is correct, FGU is not crashing. CPU usage is around 170%, from 1G to 2.4G Mem. I take it optimization is still down the road aways. I find it really hard to multitask, chrome and fantasy grounds, (discord, slack, teamspeak, zoom, are usually negligible)

Just for comparison, with the identical maps, modules books loaded, FGC runs about 67% (with all the other programs running as well)

(2.6Ghz i7-8850H, 16G, Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB MacOs Mojave)
    (And just in case, FGC usually has 3 threads, FGU averages 63)
    Last edited by Star Drayke; March 17th, 2020 at 14:41.

I'd like to add that I have two i5's and plenty of RAM and Unity is slow when I type in text of any kind. It takes seconds for what I type to appear. Even if I have nothing else running at all this happens.
    DM/GM Since 1985. Unity and Classic Ultimate License.

Blog Entries
    Some optimization has been done since my last post in this thread. But, these 'list' type issues are still known and have not been optimized yet. But it is on the list to do soon.

Thread Information