5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Percentile dice tuleset questions

Hey everyone,

I'm currently trying to build a ruleset from scratch, layering over the CoreRPG ruleset. I read the developpers section on the wiki, and the great thread of Trenloe explaining how actions works. Thus, i'm still having trouble figuring how i can translate what i want in lua code. So, after running in circles for days, i decided to beg for some help here.

This ruleset is for an outdated french game, released in 1991, and called Bloodlust, a Conan-like RPG that i intend to re-run with some friends. The system is based mostly on a percentile dice, so i could obviously go with the Core RPG alone. But, there are some subtilties that i'd rather integrate in a separate ruleset or extension. I guess i have to create some actions files, for check, damage, healing, but i am not sure how to proceed.

This game is somewhat similar to Chtulhu's Chaosium : you got a skill expressed as a percentile score. So, you roll a percentile dice and have to go under that score. Modifiers from external conditions (blind, dazed, night, mounted, and so on) adds or substracts from the skill score as a target for the roll. i.e. -25%, -10%, +10%, +25%, +50%.

Big question, a dice roll of 100 in that game is always a failure, no matter how high your skill is. Even a roll of 100+35% is a failure. As far as i know, 00 is treated like a 10 by Fantasy Grounds engine so is it possible to claim that 100 is a botch to FG.

Second big question, that game uses unit dice a lot. For example, your to-hit roll is 67. Then you do not roll for damage, but have to keep the 7 from the unit dice. This is your base damage score on that hit. Can a handler store the dice unit value from the to-hit roll for a subsequent use at the damage step ?

Third big question, this game says a 0 is always a critical sucess if under the skil score. For example, rolls of 10, 20 or 30 on a 40% stealth check are critical successes. Once again, as a 30 + 0 is equivalent to 40 in the FG engine and not a 30 as read by many players, how can i script this the way it is intended to be by the rules ?

Fourth question, similar to second question. The location step of a strike use the to-hit roll reversed to determine where the hit blows. For example, a to-hit roll of 67 hits the target in the "76" range location. Can the hit-roll be stored and reversed, and then compared to a static table for determining where you hit blows? i.e. 01-10 is the head, 20-35 is torso, etc.

Many thanks if some of you can put my foot in the stirrup on this project, and help me to code this.
    Last edited by Maspalio; January 13th, 2020 at 22:50.

Blog Entries
    Hi Maspalio

a 30+10 (not 0 there is no 0) is 40 and not 30
    20+10 is 30
    10+10 is 20
    00+10 is 10
    All your values are there still

You could write a MoreCore roll that does all of that.
    You would compare the dice result to each of your things in order

Check first against crits,
    Then check if under or over
    Then if under check if 2nd dice is 10
    Then send the 2nd dice value to the modifier stack

Then do your separate damage roll and pick up the modifier stack

Hi Damned,

Thanks for your advices.

Here's another question, if you don't mind :

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Check first against crits,

I built the roll on the 3.5 action_ability.lua file at this point, using Trenloe walktrough.

Do i have to check for crits in the onRoll function part of the file? After the modRoll function?

Many thanks
    Last edited by Maspalio; January 17th, 2020 at 13:02.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maspalio View Post
    Hi Damned,

Thanks for your advices.

Here's another question, if you don't mind :

I built the roll on the 3.5 action_ability.lua file at this point, using Trenloe walktrough.

Do i have to check for crits in the onRoll function part of the file? After the modRoll function?

Many thanks
    Hi mate - sorry my suggestions were based on how I would do it in MoreCore....

Quote Originally Posted by Maspalio View Post
    Do i have to check for crits in the onRoll function part of the file?
    The onRoll function (the result handler) is the earliest you get access to the result of the dice roll.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post307397
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Don't forget that Unity handles percentile differently...there is a 0-9 and 00-90, so 00-0 is 100 and 30-0 is 30 (just like real dice)
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Oh, i didn't know that... So should i create two different folders of the main ruleset?

Unity doesn't store it's data in the same place as Classic does. Rulesets are still in the rulesets folder in Unity; just in a different location.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Blog Entries
    Both implementations of the dice are real dice. The 0-9 version quickly became the most popular but in the early days both were pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Both implementations of the dice are real dice. The 0-9 version quickly became the most popular but in the early days both were pretty common.
    Yup.

Even as "recent" as 2008 there were a quarter of people preferring a 1-10 units die: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...die-convention
    Last edited by Trenloe; January 18th, 2020 at 00:24.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thread Information