FG Spreadshirt Swag

Recap of today's session

I tried to run an in-person game using Unity today and had mixed results. I understand that it's not ready for live play yet, but thought maybe my experiences would be helpful, even if many of them are not repeatable reports. We were all on Windows, playing with 5e (Curse of Strahd campaign, PHB, and Xanathar's loaded). I have an ultimate license, they were all first time FG users running demo licenses. I had my server set up as a local server, on the public server list.

My intent was to have my players connect and maintain character sheets in FGU, and I would run maps and tokens on a TV, but run combat and rolls on the table. All 3 players were able to connect with their demo licenses, but each of them had multiple crashes (several Blue Screens of Death, a couple losses of connection, one requiring a reboot to reset the connection). One player gave up after multiple blue screens and we just had one player doing most of the player token movements. It seemed like after dropping to only 2 players, the connections stabilized.

Line of sight worked... intermittently. Tokens seemed to only occasionally reveal the map. They would work for a time, then there would appear to be a wall or something where there shouldn't be, for example a hallway in Death House just ended and I couldn't identify why. Moving tokens through it did not seem to change anything, though now when I go back in with no players connected everything seems fine. It could have been connection based I suppose, though I thought all those calculations would be taking place on my computer.

Aside from those issues, it worked pretty well. Overall the software seems to still be much slower than FG Classic, and connection stability is of course an issue, but the basics worked all right. If there's any further info I can give to help identify the source of these issues, let me know.

I wanted to post an update to this thread. I again ran a session in FGU for testing purposes, this time with 3 demo players connected to my Ultimate license game, via the public cloud server lists (Windows 10 for all players I believe). We had a largely successful session, up until my host session crashed. Overall the session was quite stable. Occasionally I would see what appeared to be a crashed program on my end. The program would cease to respond, the window would grey out, and in one or two cases windows thought FGU had crashed. But each time, I told it to wait for the program to respond and in each case it did, except for the final one. While it's hard to isolate an exact cause, the situation that immediately proceeded the crash was a combat encounter (5e, no community extensions, Crypt of the Sun Lord, PHB, XGtE). I had a player basically on top of a door in a secret passage, and an enemy combatant moved to engage them, so we wound up with two characters right on top of the door and a number of LoS vertices. Whether that's the cause of the issue, or it was a more mundane networking issue, or something else altogether is hard to say. The result was a crash to desktop, at which point we called the session. I will attach an image of the crash dialogue in case that is useful. Sadly, it looks like when I reopened the software the console.log was wiped. Is there any other useful information that I could submit?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the offer.

The only information that we currently output is to the console.log; which would contain any exception output from a potential crash. However, the log is wiped immediately upon starting the program, so you would have to copy the console.log file immediately after crash to be able to provide that information.

If the crash occurred during a combat with lots of movement on a map, my guess is that there was an issue related to the tokens/LOS, but I'm not sure.

I'll forward the picture and notes to Carl to see if he is able to recreate.

Thanks,
    JPG

Alright, I'll make a note to copy the console.log immediately in the future. Thanks!

Thread Information