STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Run Test error

Run Test error

So I bought this game a few years ago, and never was able to get it to work. (Annoyingly too, with how expensive it was.) I forgot about it, and now I'm trying again.
    However, when I start it up. I click Create New Campaign. And Run Test, and it just keeps giving Failure. I've done all the guides people posted how to fix it.
    I've followed a Port Forwarding guide, which are never very helpful. So I'm not even sure if that's correct. People just post a guide, which doesn't fully help.
    I set two ports:
    Port 3074 and port 1802.

What am I doing wrong and how do I get this to actually open?

Welcome (back?) to the FG forums!

Please read through post #1 in this thread and provide answers to the 7 questions listed at the bottom of that post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ions-Explained
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Welcome (back?) to the FG forums!

Please read through post #1 in this thread and provide answers to the 7 questions listed at the bottom of that post: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...ions-Explained
    Thank you, and sorry.

I am Wired.
    Adapter in Network is set to Private
    I run Avast with basic settings, nothing extra or changed.
    What is tracert 8.8.8.8 and where do I find this at?
    Router is basic setup, the only changes made were the two ports I went and opened.

Type cmd into the search bar and select the command prompt. Type tracert 8.8.8.8 into the window that opens and press return.

You opened two ports? Which ones?
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Type cmd into the search bar and select the command prompt. Type tracert 8.8.8.8 into the window that opens and press return.

You opened two ports? Which ones?
    Thank you. I saw in the OP that Tracert is sensitive information. The suggested deleting the post after posting it. So is it safe to post? I feel iffy about it now.

And Port 3074 and port 1802.

Quote Originally Posted by Angrod View Post
    Thank you. I saw in the OP that Tracert is sensitive information. The suggested deleting the post after posting it. So is it safe to post? I feel iffy about it now.
    It's really not - that's just mentioned in case someone really, really doesn't want some publicly available information to be made more available for a short period of time. Just by going on the Internet people can get your public IP address, which is the most "sensitive" information in a tracert (and it's not that sensitive).

The tracert is vital in allowing us to identify what type of network setup you have and give good advice - especially for those who aren't IT savvy.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It's really not - that's just mentioned in case someone really, really doesn't want some publicly available information to be made more available for a short period of time. Just by going on the Internet people can get your public IP address, which is the most "sensitive" information in a tracert (and it's not that sensitive).

The tracert is vital in allowing us to identify what type of network setup you have and give good advice - especially for those who aren't IT savvy.
    Okay, which one do you need? There are a few different here, or do you need them all?

Last edited by Angrod; January 10th, 2020 at 03:31.

Thanks for posting - the second hop (10.170...) is a private network IP address - this means you have two private network devices between you and the Internet. Your 192.168.0.XX network - which will be a local router in your home (usually) - the second one may be in your home (do you know if you have another device) or it may be with your ISP and they're sharing public internet addresses between their customers - becoming quite a common practice now.

If you don't have two Internet devices in your home, then ask your ISP if they can give you a dedicated IP - as you need this for peer-to-peer gaming. They may charge you for this though. A quicker check would be to look at some alternative listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives Hamachi is a good one to start with as this is free - but it needs players to have it installed as well, and note that this will allow you to play with FG but it won't show a success on the network test - so get a friend to test with you. This is detailed in the Hamachi thread linked in that thread.

Thanks for posting - the second hop (10.170...) is a private network IP address - this means you have two private network devices between you and the Internet. Your 192.168.0.XX network - which will be a local router in your home (usually) - the second one may be in your home (do you know if you have another device) or it may be with your ISP and they're sharing public internet addresses between their customers - becoming quite a common practice now.

If you don't have two Internet devices in your home, then ask your ISP if they can give you a dedicated IP - as you need this for peer-to-peer gaming. They may charge you for this though. A quicker check would be to look at some alternative listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...d-Alternatives Hamachi is a good one to start with as this is free - but it needs players to have it installed as well, and note that this will allow you to play with FG but it won't show a success on the network test - so get a friend to test with you. This is detailed in the Hamachi thread linked in that thread.
    so wait, I'm not very tech savvy. What I'm getting is the ISP is sharing the internet addresses I have? That doesn't seem good.

By internet device you mean like two different routers? If so, only one. One Modem, one router.
    If I ask my ISP for a dedicated IP will I need to know anything more? if they ask questions about what I mean, or they don't understand, I wouldn't know what I'm asking for. So I'm just wondering what to tell them I'm looking for.
    And this dedicated IP will fix the problem?
    Because, other wise, it seems like the alternatives are programs I need to download and try figuring them out, making it a large hassle. So it would be easier if I could just get the dedicated IP.

Thread Information