DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Multiple computers in one network

Maybe someone here can help me. I have two computers which I can and occasionally do use to run Fantasy Grounds. Both are in the same LAN, with different internal IP addresses. One of the computers is a wired network machine, network machine, the other is a notebook with WLAN. If I want to host a game, I have to set up port forwarding to the IP address of the respective computer.

On the firewall, I can set up only one port forwarding for port 1802 of course. Unfortunately, I cannot "prepare" the port forwarding for the second computer, to change the set up with a single mouse click [I was thinking: one click – stop port forwarding to machine A; second click – start port forwarding to machine B]. Instead, whenever I try to reassign port forwarding, it is quite an elaborate maneuver: remove all current forwardings, set up new forwardings for the second computer, for which I have to manually enter the other IP address and tell the firewall again what port number is to be forwarded.

I do realize that I will need some port forwarding for connectivity. It would be great if I could set it up that for example port 1802 is forwarded to machine A, and another, freely chosen or even preconfigured port for machine B. Is that even possible? I would suspect the players/clients would have to tell their software to connect to port $whatever instead of 1802.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

Blog Entries
    Yes to all of the above.
    You have to switch it manually - unless UPnP is working nicely on your router
    Otherwise you can add at the end of the command line that launches fg
    fantasygrounds.exe -p2000"
    and it will load and listen on Port 2000.
    Of course your players will have to do the same.

It will be much easier if you fiddle with you router...

I switch between a couple of computers to host games from time to time, and I find it much easier to modify the port forward rule when needed. It's a lot easier than explaining to the players how to change the FG port.

Blog Entries
    My router allows me to save a configuration file, if yours does you can save two files, one for each port forwarding configuration.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

The other thing you can do is use a static internal ip for your game machine and when you switch machines, set the ip of the outgoing machine to some other value and go to the ip of the machine you want to use and set it to the game value. You can probabaly script that in Windows.

That's probably the best solution I can find. Thanks, Bidmaron... Set both cpc's to fixed IP, and set the IP to "campaign IP" according to need.

I like the UPnP method if available as whichever PC I happen to be at can host a game without having to change the router.

Thread Information