FG Spreadshirt Swag

Dodge action proc Rogue Evasion (level 7)

If this isn't the right area to post this question then I'm sorry. But as the title says, does it work? I'm looking to see if it works in this order:

-(R)Rogue takes dodge action
    -(E)Enemy attempts to strikes Rogue
    -(R) fails the dodge saving throw from (E)

Now the part in question, since I can see the target, I get half dmg from the rogues 5th level uncanny dodge. Can I also apply another half damage reduction on top of the 1st half since I used the 7th level Evasion Dex saving throw modifier as well?

Thanks in advance.

Rules reference:
    Uncanny Dodge
    Starting at 5th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you.

Evasion
    Beginning at 7th level, you can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain area effects, such as an ancient red dragon’s fiery breath or an ice storm spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Hi Peanakka, welcome to FG.

Those two abilities do different things. Uncanny Dodge allows you to use your reaction to half the damage from an attack. Evasion works against a dexterity saving throw. Since an attack is part of an action then it will only work if the attacker is using a melee or ranged weapon. In the case of a saving throw the attacker will be using a spell.

So, short answer is no; you can't stack the abilities.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Since an attack is part of an action then it will only work if the attacker is using a melee or ranged weapon attack.
    Correction added. It is true that these are two different situations. But just to clarify, Zacchaeus means to say a melee or ranged weapon attack, as a character can make a weapon attack without a physical weapon (such as an unarmed strike).
    I never claimed to be sane. Besides, it's more fun this way.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks again for the answers. That does clear it up; I for some reason thought that Dex saving throws was part of the algorithm.

Situation 2:

-Rogue takes the dodge action
    -NPC misses with a melee attack
    -? trigger rogues Uncanny dodge AND Evasion?

Since the NPC misses does it trigger both Uncanny Dodge and Evasion since Dodge action states Dex saving throws?

Reference:
    Dodge
    When you take the Dodge action, you focus entirely on avoiding attacks. Until the start of your next turn, any attack roll made against you has disadvantage if you can see the attacker, and you make Dexterity saving throws with advantage. You lose this benefit if you are incapacitated (as explained in appendix A) or if your speed drops to 0.
    Last edited by Peanakka; January 6th, 2020 at 05:07.

I think you've just asked the same question again and so you are going to get the same answer again.

Uncanny dodge works only against an attack and uses your reaction to half the damage if the attack is successful. So if the attacker misses you then you won't be using Uncanny Dodge.

Evasion only works when you need to make a dexterity saving throw.

So, let's say you are attacked by a Wizard. If this Wizard for some reason decided to attack you with her dagger and hit you then you would be able to use Uncanny Dodge to half the damage caused by that attack. No dexterity saving throw is required against this attack so Evasion doesn't come into play at all. On the other hand suppose the Wizard decided to cast Fireball at you. This isn't an attack so Uncanny Dodge doesn't come into play at all. However the fireball requires a dexterity saving throw so, if you are successful on the saving throw against the fireball then you will take no damage and only half if you fail because of your evasion ability.

So in summary there is no situation where both Uncanny Dodge and Evasion can be applied against the same damage source.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Gotya. thanks again for the clarity.

Thread Information