5E Character Create Playlist

Adding NPCs created as (PCs) to encounters

Wondering if there is a way to do this or if there is a way to import NPCs from external XML files.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forums!

First, almost everything in FG is dependent upon the ruleset you are looking to use. Many things are common throughout most of the rulesets (DnD 5E, Savage Worlds, Pathfinder, etc) but often their are some unique difference here and there. So please always specify what ruleset your questions are regarding unless you are posting in a ruleset specific forum

So, in most rulesets, PC and NPCs have different data base fields. This often does not make them interchangeable (though their are a couple exceptions that allow them to be converted from one to another).

Now, in most rulesets, PCs can be exported as XML and then imported. This is to facilitate sending your GM your character sheet outside of the game. NPCs don't usually have that ability, BUT, some community tools allow the importing of NPCs from formatted/marked up text (such as XML) into FG. This is usually for bulk importing of things like monster compendiums etc.

Now, to guess on a little more about your question, say in D&D 5E you have created a detailed creature as a PC (object) but they are not a player character and instead they are a major adversary or NPC you will have a little bit of a challenge. I'm pretty sure you can not add a PC to an Encounter (object type) (I've never tried) and if you add them to the Combat Tracker and set them to enemy (red icon) that's ok, except a PCs actions do not show up on the CT like an NPCs actions do. So you will have to open up the character sheet to have ti attack and perform actions etc.

Hopefully, something in all that answered your question. If not, let us know and please provide some more info.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thanks

Yes I am dealing with 5e and was looking for a direct import for the NPC xml file option... I did find the option to import 5e NPC via a .mod file - guess this will work
    Last edited by Tirayis; January 4th, 2020 at 05:11.

You aren't really giving us much to go on here.

There is no easy method of importing an xml file from an external source into Fantasy Grounds. The NPCs will need to have been created in Fantasy Grounds and either used in the campaign they were created in or exported to a module from the creation campaign and that module opened in another campaign. There isn't a way to automatically convert PCs into NPCs either. The NPCs would need to be created manually based on the PCs stats and then either used in the campaign or exported as above.

This tool may be of interest, but it still requires you to input the data https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Engineer-Suite
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Yes I am working with NPC engineer to create .mod file - I used it to export a template xml file that I am using to reconstruct a google form to match xml structure. That way I can push and pull data from my files in google sheet to build and create npcs via automated scripts that can then be dumped in a mod file and imported into FG. - I spend lots of time off line and can build the google functions to use on my phone/tablet for encounters

Blog Entries
    In Savage Worlds and AD&D 2e you can make PCs NPCs and vice versa.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    In Savage Worlds and AD&D 2e you can make PCs NPCs and vice versa.
    Hi John,

would you be able to develop on this with 2E?

I am starting to convert a ADD2 module and having trouble building NPC properly.

Cheers,

Forget about this, after closing the edit button...it appeared to me
    Last edited by readymeal; July 4th, 2020 at 09:26.

Thread Information