5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 4 of 6 First ... 23456 Last
    Since there seems to be somewhat advanced progress on a CoreRPG version of Genesys, which should more easily transfer to the FG UNITY standard, I am going to hold off duplicating any effort with getting the fonts up to speed on the existing ruleset for UNITY. I think it makes more sense having a ruleset that is more compatible through Core RPG than an extremely customized version that might require a lot of fixes to get working in UNITY. If the CoreRPG version doesn't come to fruition, we can always go back and reattempt the original legacy SW EotE ruleset! Since I am only able to work on this a couple of hours a week anyway, and I am not a software code expert, it is the best path forward for me. I was barely scratching the surface of understanding how the fonts worked anyway. If you are working on the legacy ruleset, by all means please continue if it interests you! Good luck! And thanks a BAZILLION to Trenloe and team for giving us the legacy ruleset, which gave us several years of FG Star Wars. Here's hoping UNITY brings a new era for the ruleset and Star Wars roleplaying!

BTW the Genesys CoreRPG project is at: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...rk-in-progress

Quote Originally Posted by punisher5150 View Post
    Since there seems to be somewhat advanced progress on a CoreRPG version of Genesys, which should more easily transfer to the FG UNITY standard, I am going to hold off duplicating any effort with getting the fonts up to speed on the existing ruleset for UNITY. I think it makes more sense having a ruleset that is more compatible through Core RPG than an extremely customized version that might require a lot of fixes to get working in UNITY. If the CoreRPG version doesn't come to fruition, we can always go back and reattempt the original legacy SW EotE ruleset! Since I am only able to work on this a couple of hours a week anyway, and I am not a software code expert, it is the best path forward for me. I was barely scratching the surface of understanding how the fonts worked anyway. If you are working on the legacy ruleset, by all means please continue if it interests you! Good luck! And thanks a BAZILLION to Trenloe and team for giving us the legacy ruleset, which gave us several years of FG Star Wars. Here's hoping UNITY brings a new era for the ruleset and Star Wars roleplaying!

BTW the Genesys CoreRPG project is at: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...rk-in-progress
    It appears that the Genesys Core RPG ruleset Beta is working in UNITY now (see link above). It still has some bugs, but it is working!

Quote Originally Posted by punisher5150 View Post
    It appears that the Genesys Core RPG ruleset Beta is working in UNITY now (see link above). It still has some bugs, but it is working!
    Hi

I am the one developing the CoreRPG Genesys
    Yes the Ruleset is also running in unity
    Right now I am working on npc, items and the talents database

One thing I can tell is that is feels like it would be very easy for me to create an extension to include back Star Wars in it

The dicepool code I got from the Sw Ruleset, and I did some changes but thinking that it could be used back with SW, when I started modifying and updating it, I did not remove SW only code

The rest I am doing from scratch, so I did not reuse any automation from SW, I am using core code

So in the next few days, let me prepare an extension, if someone would like to test it and let me know if it will work, we could improve on it and maybe that way keep only one code instead of two developments

Another option would be to extract part of what I did, and maybe work on the Star Wars Ruleset if you prefer

Or an even better idea, think I can create a sw Ruleset that imports Genesys (just like how it works importing core)
    Last edited by johniba; January 28th, 2020 at 05:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I don't know what the original font style used to create the FG fonts was.

The only font that has the SW symbols in is regular.fgf
    Here is an OTF with the symbols...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhihmkb0js...-PLUS.otf?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    Hi

I am the one developing the CoreRPG Genesys

So in the next few days, let me prepare an extension, if someone would like to test it and let me know if it will work, we could improve on it and maybe that way keep only one code instead of two developments

Another option would be to extract part of what I did, and maybe work on the Star Wars Ruleset if you prefer

Or an even better idea, think I can create a sw Ruleset that imports Genesys (just like how it works importing core)
    Thanks so much for taking on developing this based on CoreRPG. I'd keep giving you rep, but I need to spread it around first!

Layered rulesets are very similar to extensions - in terms of overriding ruleset code and config. The main differences between an extension and a ruleset are as follows:
    1) A ruleset allows you to release DLC (modules and extensions) specifically tagged to be opened only in that ruleset. The ruleset can be set to also allowing opening of modules and extensions for other rulesets using the importfrom tag.
    2) Extensions are specific to ruleset/s and can be turned on and off without disrupting the base campaign data - so they're good for setting changes or options to a base ruleset. However, they don't provide a restriction of which extensions or modules can be opened.

You could go either way with this. If you think there could be modules that would be shared across Genesys and Star Wars then make the Star Wars code changes in an extension. This would also be the case if you think GMs might want to use an existing campaign they've played in for a while a shift it from Genesys to Star Wars or vice versa. If you think you'd like to keep them separate then go with a ruleset.

In the end, either decision is not a dead end - you can get around either restriction with the importfrom setting or by manually editing the campaign ruleset tag.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Thanks so much for taking on developing this based on CoreRPG. I'd keep giving you rep, but I need to spread it around first!

Layered rulesets are very similar to extensions - in terms of overriding ruleset code and config. The main differences between an extension and a ruleset are as follows:
    1) A ruleset allows you to release DLC (modules and extensions) specifically tagged to be opened only in that ruleset. The ruleset can be set to also allowing opening of modules and extensions for other rulesets using the importfrom tag.
    2) Extensions are specific to ruleset/s and can be turned on and off without disrupting the base campaign data - so they're good for setting changes or options to a base ruleset. However, they don't provide a restriction of which extensions or modules can be opened.

You could go either way with this. If you think there could be modules that would be shared across Genesys and Star Wars then make the Star Wars code changes in an extension. This would also be the case if you think GMs might want to use an existing campaign they've played in for a while a shift it from Genesys to Star Wars or vice versa. If you think you'd like to keep them separate then go with a ruleset.

In the end, either decision is not a dead end - you can get around either restriction with the importfrom setting or by manually editing the campaign ruleset tag.

Hi Trenloe, thanks!

Yes, as soon as I have basic genesys running, i will do tests with SW and see which would be the best way....

Quote Originally Posted by MoNeart View Post
    I have created a new set of fonts (ttf and fgf) for both star wars and genesys.
    The fonts work fine in MS Word, and in regular FG, but unfortunatelly in Unity, several of the symbols look like their ink spilled out.

I dont know at this point if it is something i should pursue (maybe it is an issue in FG Unity, since it is working in other apps)

You can have a look at the font in the link below. I also attached an image showing the symbols and their code
    I tried to make them be in the same place as the original...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Tj...ew?usp=sharing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johniba View Post
    I have created a new set of fonts (ttf and fgf) for both star wars and genesys.
    The fonts work fine in MS Word, and in regular FG, but unfortunatelly in Unity, several of the symbols look like their ink spilled out.

I dont know at this point if it is something i should pursue (maybe it is an issue in FG Unity, since it is working in other apps)

You can have a look at the font in the link below. I also attached an image showing the symbols and their code
    I tried to make them be in the same place as the original...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Tj...ew?usp=sharing
    I have not had a chance to look at the font in FGU, however, the likely culprit is that some of the paths in the characters are reversed. The type library for FGU is not as forgiving as the native OS libraries or FreeType (which is used byFGC). FontForge will throw warnings when you generate the TTF.

Other notes:
    1) The characters have been added to OpenSans. The default FGU font is NotoSans, as OpenSans does not contain the full UTF-16 character set.
    2) The fontname should be modified to prevent conflicts with the original font.FontForge-Information.JPGFontForge-Wrong Directions.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by pindercarl View Post
    I have not had a chance to look at the font in FGU, however, the likely culprit is that some of the paths in the characters are reversed. The type library for FGU is not as forgiving as the native OS libraries or FreeType (which is used byFGC). FontForge will throw warnings when you generate the TTF.

Other notes:
    1) The characters have been added to OpenSans. The default FGU font is NotoSans, as OpenSans does not contain the full UTF-16 character set.
    2) The fontname should be modified to prevent conflicts with the original font.FontForge-Information.JPGFontForge-Wrong Directions.JPG

Ah I probably uploaded the wrong version, as the last one I did update the name, but as you will notice, I didnt know anything about editing ttf files or creating glyphs, so that should be my bad.
    It would be nice to have someone with experience with that, to work on the fonts.
    If I have some time I could study maybe enough to do it, but i have my hands full at the moment unfortunatelly

If you would have suggestions on tutorials on how to properly do it, and what tools i should use (i used Font Forge), I would really appreciate.

Hello, just saw this today since I'm looking to run an EotE campaign remotely for the foreseeable future. After using DnD Beyond for sometime, I absolutely need my content collated and searchable. I've got Fantasy Grounds Unity up and running (I'm on a Catalina Mac so I cannot use FGC), and I'm learning how to use the FGU interface with the Unity Mod. I assume that due to licensing reasons only the ruleset is shareable, but not the content. If anyone could point me towards a post that explains how to add content to my personal library (I have every book) I would be grateful. Ideally if I can edit it outside of the FGU interface I would be even happier since I'm a software dev by trade and text editors are my natural environment.

Thread Information