FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: Kult Ruleset

Thumbs up Kult Ruleset

I've tried finding a Kult Ruleset in these forums, but so far all I've seen is a /kult roll:
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...Ruleset/page98

I don't know how far I'll go into making a ruleset, but at least I can do the simple task of a character sheet or four, right?

...unless it's already been made. Damned seems to be the one most involved with Kult ruleset related stuff, so this unspoken question is mostly directed at him.

I figure I'd base them on the CoreRPG ruleset, since that seems to be the most bare bones that you can get without having to program basic functions.

That /kult roll is probably on MoreCore, though, so I'll try to somehow import it over, unless there's really alluring functionality as the work progresses (if I don't just do a table flip - no guarantees - I am a very emotionally unstable person).

Update:
    Here is the first beta release - version 0.2b. Please report any issues or wishes.
    Last edited by MooCow; January 15th, 2020 at 18:17. Reason: I'm not supporting abusive mods. Withdrawing project indefinitely.

It would be nice to see a Kult ruleset. Which version do you think you would use?

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    It would be nice to see a Kult ruleset. Which version do you think you would use?
    I only have Divinity Lost (which is fourth edition, released last year). I sort of have the second edition as well, but the book keeps disappearing and reappearing. Right now it's gone, so I can't reference it. Divinity Lost is stable, though.

I'm hoping that this could be a group effort, because right now I'm just editing random XML lists, hoping that the pieces will fit together later on. Help!

Got all the four character sheet labels done so far (in XML only), and the copyright credits. (There are three more, and there is descriptive text as well.) Is it hard to make this sheet in basic CoreRPG, compared to MoreCore? ...because there's a lot of tick boxes on these character sheets ( https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...pHHr648APQOqyP ) and I wonder if CoreRPG even has that functionality. Does MoreCore have that?

Edit:
    I'd like to note that the map image that the attributes are all mapped to, isn't really copyrighted. It's called The Sephirot, or The Tree of Life (or Death), so we can probably find similar images online to put on the sheet.
    Last edited by MooCow; December 20th, 2019 at 01:14. Reason: Updating progress.

I'm also curious where the line is between a ruleset and copyrighted material. The stats of a character sheet seems to be fine, but are tables okay? ...and what if the tables are part of the stats, like it is here? What about monster or item stats? I'm prepared to write as much as it takes, but only what's legal to copy.

I also think that a proper licence would be cool, if this RPG gathers enough interest.

Progress report: I'm done with inserting all the text on the sheets, into labelled XML strings.
    Last edited by MooCow; December 20th, 2019 at 02:42.

Quote Originally Posted by MooCow View Post
    I'm also curious where the line is between a ruleset and copyrighted material. The stats of a character sheet seems to be fine, but are tables okay? ...and what if the tables are part of the stats, like it is here? What about monster or item stats? I'm prepared to write as much as it takes, but only what's legal to copy.
    Numbers and non-Intellectual Property names are fine. Descriptive text or prose is not. So, you're usually limited to creature/NPC names that aren't IP (don't use names/locations specific to the material) and statistics (numbers) and generic weapons/equipment names.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

In general, we don’t include any data (including tables) without permission.

JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    Numbers and non-Intellectual Property names are fine. Descriptive text or prose is not. So, you're usually limited to creature/NPC names that aren't IP (don't use names/locations specific to the material) and statistics (numbers) and generic weapons/equipment names.
    Aha. That would rule out the attribute descriptions, and the Advancement tables for the Sleeper/Aware/Enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    In general, we don’t include any data (including tables) without permission.
    JPG
    That would rule out the hitpoint penalties and mental stability penalties.
    However that can easily be houseruled to give a general penalty to all attributes.

...or you could ask for permission. I was recently told that that works. After all, it could be just the character sheet, impossible to use without also owning the rules.

The mechanical part of the game can be reproduced including words to represent the mechanics. The mental balance mechanics would be hard because so much of the information that represents your state is explained using game setting information so it would fall in the line of probably not. Of course anything you do for private use you can put in as much information as you like.

If you get a solid, working ruleset going you might even be able to convince Smiteworks to talk to Modiphius about licensing it then you could publish as much setting stuff as you can convert.

Quote Originally Posted by esmdev View Post
    The mechanical part of the game can be reproduced including words to represent the mechanics. The mental balance mechanics would be hard because so much of the information that represents your state is explained using game setting information so it would fall in the line of probably not.
    Mental Balance is an old and obsolete term. You might be refering to the Stability table, ranging from Composed to Broken. The terms the table uses are common psychological terms, attribute descriptions that can be rewritten into their corresponding attributes, and the term "Disadvantage rolls", which is as most term-y as it gets.

Of course anything you do for private use you can put in as much information as you like.
    I'm doing this because I want to inflict Kult upon YOU guys, and I don't want to sit here and just play with myself anyway. These sheets I'm making, are meant for other players - hopefully thousands of players and GMs. I want Kult to be a thing. An official, legit thing. That's why I'm doing this.

If you get a solid, working ruleset going you might even be able to convince Smiteworks to talk to Modiphius about licensing it then you could publish as much setting stuff as you can convert.
    Well, it's a bit catch 22: If I ultimately can't get a full sheet going, because of licencing issues, then I won't have much of a ruleset.
    ...but those character sheets that I linked to, they're provided by Helmgast's own site for free, which gives me hope. There's even lots of free Kult adventures that you can download too. ...so where's the copyright there? ...but maybe they're not supposed to be used for commercial use - maybe that's the catch.

Anyway:
    Helmgast and Cabinet are offering sub-licensing opportunities of KULT to specific regions, countries, and/or languages. We are happy to answer any question at [email protected]. We have solicited offers for Spanish, French, Portugese, German and Italian and are thus not taking on any offers for these languages.
    You could at least ask them how much they'd charge. (I can't mail them and ask, because I can't speak for Fantasy Grounds.)

Ah, didn't know about the changes, haven't really read the new system. Haven't used Kult since the last century.

I should pick up the new rules for comparison.

Thread Information