DICE PACKS BUNDLE

Equipment Removal

Hi

I thought I would check if there is any way to block core equipment out of the game? I would like to not have laser swords not show up in the items list in a fantasy campaign or the same item showing up at several different prices and currencies. If there is a way it's not obvious to me. Thanks guys!

Most people just tell their players to not purchase a laser sword in a medieval game. Common sense is the answer.

You could also look for Dulux's extensions: DOE: Base, and DOE: Locations. You can set up shops there, and even change values on it. And tell players to only purchase items from the shops.

You can also, with lots of spare time, duplicate each entry of the allowed weapons, edges, hindrances, share every and each one of them, or create a "What I allow in my campaign" module by typing /export, and then don't allow players to open the player's module but the one you created instead. But trust me, it's a hell of a work you'd have to go through and you'd miss a lot of things just because you didn't want to just tell them to not purchase a laser sword.

Thanks man! I have The DOE extensions. Its just a mildly annoying repetitive conversation. I might have been extra annoying since I was running a bit too large of a group. I was hoping there an easy shut off that I was missing and you guys are pretty sharp cookies.
    Last edited by Griffy; December 17th, 2019 at 01:46. Reason: fixed crazy sentence.

The main way to control content, eluded to by Dr0w, is to block player access to the products that have content you don't want the players to see. Then individually share the items, edges, hindrances you do want them to see. As the GM, open the player guide modules and from the campaign data lists, right-click -> share sheet for each record.

Sure, it takes a while - but probably something like 20 minutes and once it's done for a campaign, it's done. The records shared are stored locally on the GM computer in <FG app data>\campaigns\<campaign name>\moduledb\<module name>.xml - for example for the SWADE player guide the file would be SWADE Player Guide.xml - you can make a copy of this, after you've shared all the records you want from that module and exited Fantasy Grounds (so it gets saved correctly). Then you can copy this to future campaigns you create - giving you a preset shared "library". As this won't work without the relevant module, it should be possible to get a community project together to create such FG record files that could be shared on the FG forums. That would need someone to coordinate it - maybe someone who's "mildly annoyed" that something like this doesn't exist! (That's not a dig at you, it's a serious suggestion as I think this would be a great community project of use to a lot of SW GMs).

This is an example view from the player side - they can't access any library modules (the GM blocked them), but they can access what's been shared by the GM. I only shared a few items as an example.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trenloe; December 17th, 2019 at 10:20.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

For example, the two attached files are from a very quick setup I did for SWADE.

- modulestate.xml controls the state of the modules. I've disallowed all player modules that I have (quite a lot, but not all possible FG player modules). This will save you a few minutes going through your module list. This goes in the <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name> directory.
    - SWADE Player Guide.xml this just has a few items shared (the ones from the screenshot in the previous post). This goes in the <FG app data>\campaigns\<your campaign name>\moduledb directory.

To use these, start a new SWADE campaign and then exit back to the FG launcher - this is so that the base campaign directory structure is created. Then copy the above two files to the correct campaign directories. Open up FG and it will load with the module restrictions from modulestate.xml and only the records shared from SWADE Player Guide.xml - there is no data in these files, you'll still need the products they are based on.

If this is the way you'd like to go, even if you don't intend to share any data with the community, I'd recommend you create a FG campaign specific to creating these files - call it something like "XML making - Fantasy library shared data" or something similar. Then all you use this campaign for is making modifications to what is allowed on the player side - disallowing/allowing player modules and sharing allowed items, hindrances, edges, etc.. When you exit the campaign, the above files will be saved, and you can then copy them to a different campaign which you use for your actual game. Once in your actual game campaign you can fine tune what is available for that specific game.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Sorry have not had much time the last few days.

Interesting. Basically block the player manual and then add back the items you want either in the ui or by creating and xml file. Maybe if feeling really ambitious create multiple genre equipment lists that everyone could add to.

I can't help but think I would prefer the have the savage world rules and pull the equipment out of them and then add them equipment back as separate modules. I need to play with things since this does have the assumption that if I exclude the players form the rules they lose the ability to look at the rules.

Thread Information