5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Questions About License

I purchased a FG license years ago. I'm interested to start using FG again, how would I find out what license I have? I'd also like to know if that license is usable with 5e content or would I need to upgrade/ purchase a new license? I've also changed laptops since then so whatever I purchased isn't on my new machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Go to the store on this web site and look at your purchase history. Your license will be there.
    As for 5e it will work fine. However you will likely want to purchase DLC for any ruleset you may purchase.

Your DLC will still be attached to your user account. So when you go into settings, add your license key then your username and password (same ones as for the forum) all off your previous purchases will download and install.

Incidentally if you purchased the license from Steam then you can get your key by clicking on the cog icon on the top right (with FG selected) and then go to Manage > CDKeys
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Assuming you bought the license around when you joined the forums (2005) then it may be that your license isn't in your order history, and Steam wasn't aroind then, but check your order history first: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/myorders.php

It may be that you got your license key from a physical CD (sold at various conventions). If so, and you don't have that physical key anymore, then you may be out of luck. If you can't find it in the store order history, and can remember where you bought your license (physical, DriveThruRPG, etc.) then maybe email [email protected] and let them know the most details you have about where and when you bought your license.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

So I found out I have the "classic" license. I've downloaded FG on my machine, it looks like I can upgrade to an "ultimate" license for about $90. I was told there is a "unity" license that will release soon, possibly in the next few months. I'm guessing if I upgrade to "ultimate" now there would be an additional charge to upgrade to "unity" later?

Most of my group meets at my home, but there is one player that has moved away that still joins our weekly game. Originally I only wanted to have a program to help display the map on a TV (and for the remote player) but I'm starting to see the advantages of having more info in the program. I use D20 Pro now, but I have to manually enter quite a bit of info to make it work. I must say, the idea of giving up $20 or so and having it all done form me is looking pretty good. Now granted I have to spend money on the core books as well, so that $20 turns into maybe $100, maybe more depending on what I buy. I do have a sub to DnD Beyond, we like it quite a bit but we're just starting a 5e campaign, first session in a week or two. My plan is to start with Lost Mines of Phandelver and go into the Tyranny of Dragons. This would make the third time I've purchased 5e content but I don't mind if the value is there, which it appears to be.

So, is it worth it to upgrade now or should I wait for Unity? I'm assuming any books I buy in Ultimate would be available to me in Unity if I decided to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    So I found out I have the "classic" license. I've downloaded FG on my machine, it looks like I can upgrade to an "ultimate" license for about $90. I was told there is a "unity" license that will release soon, possibly in the next few months. I'm guessing if I upgrade to "ultimate" now there would be an additional charge to upgrade to "unity" later?
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...-Upgrade-Paths

So, is it worth it to upgrade now or should I wait for Unity? I'm assuming any books I buy in Ultimate would be available to me in Unity if I decided to upgrade.
    Yes, the FG store products you buy now will work in both Classic and Unity and you won't need to pay again for DLC.

If you're going to start your campaign within the next couple of months then I'd say it's worth it to start in FG Classic. A lot of what you learn about FG Classic will apply to FG Unity. You'll be able to migrate your campaign data across and, other than the license upgrade from Classic to Unity, you won't have any additional expense.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

The license for Unity is separate and requires an upgrade; and the current FG licenses will still be valid and continue to work.

Our plan is to make sure that as much as our DLC catalog as possible is migrated to FGU. We already have ~800 of 1400 products added to the FGU beta testing.

Regards,
    JPG

My plan would be to use FG to show a map to my local group at home using a second laptop. Would I need a second license in this instance? I do have one remote player which I realize would need a license of her own. Also, I see the upgrade link has pricing, but what if I'm going from FG Classic Standard to FGU Ultimate? If I'm reading it right it'd be $31.99 plus $89.99? Or if I choose to go Ultimate now it'd be $90 now and another $90 later? Am I reading this correctly?

Another question, can characters made in DnD Beyond be imported into FG?
    Last edited by ronin; December 19th, 2019 at 02:42.

Another question, can characters made in DnD Beyond be imported into FG?
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...D-amp-D-Beyond

My plan would be to use FG to show a map to my local group at home using a second laptop. Would I need a second license in this instance? I do have one remote player which I realize would need a license of her own.
    As you will be connecting more than one "user" at a time (the local group laptop and the remote player) they will both need a standard license or the GM will need an ultimate. It may be more cost effective for both the "laptop" user and the remote user to get the FG Classic standard subscription for a few months ($3.99 per user per month).

Also, I see the upgrade link has pricing, but what if I'm going from FG Classic Standard to FGU Ultimate? If I'm reading it right it'd be $31.99 plus $89.99? Or if I choose to go Ultimate now it'd be $90 now and another $90 later? Am I reading this correctly?
    You will need to upgrade like-for-like versions from FG Classic to FG Unity.
    Last edited by Trenloe; December 19th, 2019 at 04:03.

Thread Information