5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Custom Characters in OTF/TTF fonts

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I'd be happy to give pointers to any community members who want to make changes/updates.
    Okay, I'll ask a question that has been on my mind. I want to create my own set of fonts that have the star wars symbols AND the genesys symbols available. I can currently access the star wars symbols in the regular font used in the rulset by using the "Alt+Number" method. For example ALT+241 gives me the Setback symbol (If anyone wants me to post the list I have, let me know). Back to my question.

I have your OTF font (EotESymbol-RegularMod.otf), I have the genesys symbols in a TTF (Genesys.ttf), I have the FGFontGenerator.exe as well. However, the otf and ttf only contain the symbols, so will not work when turned into the FGF font format that FG uses.

I have the Microsoft OpenType SVG font editor, which can replace symbols in a font (it allows you to convert ttf/otf symbols to svg symbols). So I figure, all I need is a ttf/otf font that has the full 255 symbol set and I can replace the ones at the end of the list with my own, then save as TTF, then generate that font as an FGF.

Please correct me, if I am wrong (and if you can understand my ramblings). But this would be great, as looking at the font symbols, I could extend their use to bold and italic and possibly header as well.

Joe

I've moved this from the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire thread as it's a pretty generic.

I've been unsuccessful in my limited testing of using TTF fonts in FG Classic with custom symbols. But that was in PFRPG2 with character codes that were usually not displayed anyway (I used non-visible character codes, different from the ones used in SW: EotE). This relies on the FG engine converting the TTF files at run time. For now, I've only had success with FGF files in FG Classic.

The FG Unity devs have done OpenSans TTF files with custom characters for the FG Unity beta test. I don't know the exact process they used.

Sorry, this doesn't really answer your question. For FG Classic, however, I'd recommend using FGF files only.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Trenloe,

The best thing I can do is test my theory and see what happens. I will post my findings here if people want to know. If I can find a suitable free font (is the OpenSans TTF file you mention above available?), then if I am successful I could post the fonts here for others?

Quote Originally Posted by joeblack1863 View Post
    ... is the OpenSans TTF file you mention above available?
    It's in the PFRGP2.pak ruleset file with your FG install.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thank you,

I'll give it a go.
    Last edited by joeblack1863; December 7th, 2019 at 14:59.

Blog Entries
    Please do post your results. Never know who might find such useful in the future.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by joeblack1863 View Post
    Thank you,

I'll give it a go.
    joeblack 1863 have you been able to make any progress with this? johniba is working on a CoreRPG version of Genesys (I think?). he may have some useful info. That thread is located at:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...rk-in-progress
    Last edited by punisher5150; January 19th, 2020 at 16:59.

Blog Entries
    Just as an FYI, ALT codes won't work in the Unity client.
    Ultimate License Holder

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have tried to recreate the fonts using the tools mentioned above and found that the Microsoft OpenType SVG font editor just doesn't work. I created the svg files from the TTF, but everytime I used the editor to replace a character in the loaded font, it appeared to have been changed. Then when I usewd the new font, the character just came out as the original character. I looked around for other font editors and found that they are all expensive, poor, or a gamble on picking up a virus.

At that point I took a break looking to see if I had any other ideas, but then saw the above posts. I know little about font editing and from what I can tell it is harder than it looks :-).

I did pick up the following resources during my attempt, which I will hang on to, if anyone wants them, let me know. I think at the moment I have put this aside until I can come up with a new way to approach it.

1. Free Genesys.ttf taken fromFFG forums.
    2. EotESymbol-RegularMod.otf that Trenloe pointed me to.
    3. Genesys .svg images free from the FFG forum.
    4. The Fantasygrounds OpenSans ttf (bold and regular) that Trenloe pointed me to, that I tried to change.

Joe

My recommendation is to use FGF fonts for FG Classic and TTF/OTF fonts for FG Unity. I had basically no success in my limited attempts to use TTF/OTF fonts with special symbols in FG Classic with the PFRPG2 ruleset.

Thread Information