5E Character Create Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Dungeons & Dragons basic 1980

anybody want to try and get a game going using old basic rules from 1980 .
    the red basic book

I am totally new to Fantasy Grounds

thanks
    tony

Ah, the joys of BECMI.
    Back when men were men and could choose from 4 classes and dwarves were fighters limited to 12th level.

I think the biggest problem you'll run into is that as far as I know the BECMI rules haven't been set up in fantasy grounds.
    You'll be doing everything by hand.

Tick tack toe and checkers can be fun to for awhile but soon grow old do to their limited options. There was a reason the game evolved. beyond basic to advanced and took off.

Okay, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Blackwolf isn't interested in joining a BECMI game.
    And he probably wants you to go away before he taunts you a second time.

However, I would point out that BECMI didn't evolve into AD&D. It was developed alongside it. AD&D came about because Gygax wanted a game with all the rules for use in tournaments. BECMI was intended as a more casual game.

I liked BECMI. It had a style that I don't really think the AD&D ever really captured.

I see your point blackwolf.
    but I liked the concept of basic. a more stripped down bare bones version.
    would like to try and get a game going on here

new to fantasy ground myself

I started on BECMI and have found memories of it. Were you planning on DMing or looking to join as a player?

looking to join a future game
    new to online gaming

Blog Entries
    I would look at the Castles & Crusades ruleset, which is very similar to AD&D 1st edition

Quote Originally Posted by RespawningPleaseWait View Post
    Okay, so I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Blackwolf isn't interested in joining a BECMI game.
    Ha ha ha ha

I would gladly pay for a BECMI or B/X rules set.

AD&D isn't "Big Boy D&D", it's a different game with different sensibilities. There's a solid community of folks who play B/X, BECMI, and their spiritual brethren like Swords & Wizardry, Basic Fantasy, B/X Essentials, BX RPG, etc. An OSR rules set would definitely sell. We even have an OSR con that happens every year in Dallas.
    JEFFREY A. WEBB
    Colonel of Dragoons
    The Royal Dragoon Guards
    Commanding
    https://www.facebook.com/RDGATX/

Thread Information