5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Unity can't come fast enough - another game night ruined because of VPN issues

Our game night was just cut before it started as we couldn't get OpenVPN to work with my new Windows 10 installation. Every time there's a change in network, or re-installation something like this happens. We've spent literally dozens of hours over the years figuring out, fixing and maintaining VPN connections.

Can't wait until Unity (hopefully) gets rid of the need for a VPN.

Just venting here, back to normal programming.

I’m sure it’s the last thing you want to hear, but most people who use VPN services known to work reliably with FG have few (if any) issues once it is first setup and working.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

PureVPN seems to be the most reliable. I've never had any issues with it once I got it setup the first time (but then I use FG without VPN when I am home [thru Parallels, since I am a Mac user]).

I found easier and cheaper to tunnel the traffic over SSH via server in Azure/AWS.
    The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.

Yes, there are other options, and we used Hamachi back in the day. But setting them up is a PITA, at the level I would have been OK in the 1990s when online multiplayer gaming was new, not in the 2010s when every other game out there without a need for such acrobatics.

I understand the codebase is old, but I would have had serious reservations about FG if I knew what I was getting into when we were looking for our VTT.

Can't wait until Unity. Hope the UI has improved as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnimost View Post
    Can't wait until Unity. Hope the UI has improved as well.
    I don't expect the UI to change at all.

Blog Entries
    Sorry Magnimost. We are working as fast as we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersandrew View Post
    I don't expect the UI to change at all.
    That would be tragic. The obtuse UI is one of the worst aspects of FG, and I'm sure puts off many testers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnimost View Post
    That would be tragic. The obtuse UI is one of the worst aspects of FG, and I'm sure puts off many testers.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... it's always been perfectly fine for me.
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information