Starfinder Playlist

LF P&DM for D&D5e Saturday or sundays

Hi folks,
    I'm looking to get a group of D&D 5e players together to make a group. I say group rather than game because I am an 'always DM' and I REALLLLLLLLLLY want to play as well. And since DMPCs are a realllllllllly bad idea (in most cases), I figure the best way to go would be to form a group with others that includes at least one other person who DMs or wants to try DMing so we can alternate running games week by week. So that said, this group will not get started until we have at least one other DM/willing rookie ready to go. I personally don't care if the other DM wants to run their own home brew or a published adventure. My only preference for their game (and note this is preference, not a strict requirement) is that they don't want to run "Horde of the Dragon Queen" or "Rise of Tiamat" as I have played those and didn't particularly enjoy them (the DM was fine, but i din't love the adventure hook/set up). And for brand new potential DMs, I haven't run or played in Mines of Phandelver so that is an option as well (I have only heard/read some spoilers that from what I gather are things that would occur in session 1 or 2 of play).

FG License: I have ultimate so players can be free trial; DM of alternating campaign will need to be either standard or ultimate liscence.
    Game System: My campaign will be D&D 5e. Alternating DM can use another system, though my preference is for 5e or maybe giving Pathfinder 2e a go.

Time Zone: Mountain time (UTC-6)
    Day of week and time: Saturday afternoon (starting sometime in 10am-7pm) or Sunday morning/early afternoon (starting sometime in 10am-2pm) depending on group preference (times in UTC-6)
    If new game, planned start date: New games. Ideally starting either with session zero on Dec 7th or 8th and first gameplay session on Dec 14/15th.
    Planned Duration & Frequency: Weekly, but the intent is I will run a game one week and another group member will run a game on my 'off' week (i.e., by joining this GROUP you are committing to one time slot but technically 2 games). My expectation would be that each session would last somewhere in the 3-4 hour area and that group members would be able to 'block off' 4 hours to play each week with the expectation that sessions may be as short as 3 hours. In the sessions I would run I may be okay with playing longer than 4 hours IF (and only if) all players were fine to keep playing for longer. But if you can only commit to 4 hours weekly then that is perfectly fine.
    Term: The game I run will be purely homebrew (as a DM I don't like running premade adventures and I love playing in my own worlds) and players can expect a MINIMUM of 6 sessions (12 weeks, or about 3 months); the other DM(s) can run whatever they want (i.e., homebrew or published) and it would be ideal if what they wanted to run will last at least 6 sessions. Ideally, we will get along well as a group and continue playing as long as we want to completing and moving on to new modules/campaigns as needed/wanted. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I place more emphasis on the PEOPLE that form the group than any particular game/adventure/campaign/module that is played.

Text or Voice: Voice, some elements may be in text in FG for things like notes/runes written in non-common but 99% of communication among players and DM will be via discord.
    Voice software used: Discord
    Will this be recorded and/or live streamed?: Nope, my games are for my players and my own enjoyment and I have zero expectation or desire for anyone else to watch them. Also, who needs the chance of a backseat DM/player showing up in stream chat or video comments?

Roleplay & Combat mix: Games I run are best described as 'narrative focused.' By this I mean that roleplaying (defined as making decisions and taking actions that the character you are playing would make as opposed to what you the player would do with your out-of-game knowledge; note this does not mean you speak with a voice or even that you speak in first person although speaking in first person or 'in-character' is encouraged and NPCs WILL be speaking in first person but probably without voices as I am NOT a voice actor). This also means that combat will occur at varying frequencies depending on what the party does and is trying to achieve. Most sessions will have at least one combat and a "gotta storm the keep" kind of adventure could result in several combats in a single session.
    Number of Players in game & needed: My ideal number of players is 4 or 5. I COULD do a group of 6 players if the alternating DM STRONGLY prefers groups of 6 players.
    Character starting level & equipment: Level 1... or maybe 2 (decision TBD) and for equipment I am leaning towards rolled but ultimately will go with group preference (starting equipment only really affects the first adventure or two)
    Character restrictions: In my campaign non-monsterous races (i.e., no goblins, gnolls, orcs, etc.) and no Ravnica or Eberron specific races (i.e., no vedlken, luxadon, changlings, shifters, etc.). Pretty much PHB, Volos, and Mordekenainen's races (except the monstrous races). As for classes, Officially published sources (PHB, xanathars, Ravnica's order cleric and spore druid). UA will be considered but come from the expectation that the answer will be no. ALSO, DO NOT APPLY WITH A CHARACTER IN MIND ALREADY MADE BECASUE I WILL HAVE THE GROUP MAKE CHARACTERS TOGETHER IN A SESSION 0 (or at least share loose concepts like 'human rogue that was abandoned by birth parents and was taken in by the guild. She is always listening for information and deep down hopes to find out who her parents were and why they abandoned her').

Setting 'Flavour': Radania has expanded. No longer a petty kingdom left in the aftermath of the Cataclysm, Radanian kings have have pursed expansionist goals for the past several hundred years. In the present day, the Kingdom of Radania now spans much of Central Caldorn having recently conquered the allied city states of the Bay of Jovanos. Now the only threats to her power come from the burgeoning Weskin Empire to the northwest on the other side of the Iron Spine Mountains, the ever-present scourge of rot and pestilence rising from the Mistmire to the south, and the occasional incursion by the peoples of the Shifting Sands to the east. Though Radania lays claim to all the lands between the Weskin Plains and the Shifting Sands, there remains tension among the people of the (formerly) Free Cities of Jovanos. This is a land where those willing to take risk stand much to gain... and equally as much to lose.

Details of your scenario: To start, PCs will have assembled in the village of Hearthsedge. There, some unusual events have stymied the village's growth as farmers trying to clear forest to the northeast for new farmland have encountered problems the local militia are ill-equipped to handle. Whether you (the PC) has come to make some coin, spread the kingdom's influence, or maintain the (relative) independence of a frontier village, you find yourself having answered the call for aid and meeting with Militia Captain Johnston in the local inn "The Barley Cup" for more information and a down-payment for services to be rendered.

FOR APPLICANTS TO RESPOND TO the following questions in this thread:
    1) Licence type (free/demo, standard, ultimate):
    2) I assume you want to play, but are you interested in DMing on alternate weeks?:
    If yes, what is your past DM experience (having none is okay, I am willing to help you out a bit):
    If yes, what system (5e or Pathfinder 2e preferred) do you want to run?:
    If yes, published adventure (which one[s]) or homebrew (give something like the setting flavour and scenario details like I did above):
    3) Favorite thing about playing TTRPGs like D&D:
    4) Describe your ideal DM (at least one 'must have/do' and at least one 'NOPE factor'):
    5) Describe your ideal group (the people not the characters/roles):
    6) Tell us about your favorite D&D (or other TTRPG) moment and tell us WHY it was so awesome/cool/impactful/important to you:
    7) When would you be available to START for 4 hours weekly (missing the occasional session is okay because real life happens, especially if notice can be provided) in the ranges of Saturday afternoon starting sometime in 10am-7pm or Sunday morning/early afternoon starting sometime in 10am-2pm (times in UTC-6):

Any additional questions/concerns/comments?:
    Last edited by DealBreaker; November 29th, 2019 at 07:16.

PM sent.

1) Licence type (free/demo, standard, ultimate): standard
    2) I assume you want to play, but are you interested in DMing on alternate weeks?: I do not have the experience needed to be a DM
    3) Favorite thing about playing TTRPGs like D&D: I love being in the moment of a story.
    4) Describe your ideal DM (at least one 'must have/do' and at least one 'NOPE factor'): DM's should be having as much fun as the PC's, I don't really like playing with anyone (DM or Player) who is antagonistic toward anyone else in the group.
    5) Describe your ideal group (the people not the characters/roles): I just really want to start playing again, my ideal group consists of friendly, run loving people.
    6) Tell us about your favorite D&D (or other TTRPG) moment and tell us WHY it was so awesome/cool/impactful/important to you: It's been 20 years since my last regular group...
    7) When would you be available to START: I'm also in the Mountain time zone. I'm open to any time Saturday, or Sunday mornings.

RicoPolo
    Last edited by RicoPolo; November 29th, 2019 at 21:38.

I know exactly where you're coming from, I've DMed since 1st ed 90% of the time, rarely got to play. I can help you but you'll have to help me a little. I'm semi-new to FG, played several sessions as a player but never used FG to DM. So I'd need your help to learn some of FG DMing tools. I'm a homebrew only DM, keep the maps throw the rest of the mod. away. Mostly played 3.5, getting into 5e. If I don't have to DM I'd be just fine with that.
    1) License type: Standard
    2) Read above for answer
    3) Favorite thing about playing TTRPGs like D&D: Combat tactics, humor, rolling crits. LOL.
    4) Describe your ideal DM: A DM that does not put up with bad player, e.g. greedy, rule breakers, adversarial against other players.
    5) Describe your ideal group: Work as a team.
    6) Tell us about your favorite D&D moment: I've rolled dice a ton of times but this only happened once. I rolled a 20 sided out in front of the players like normal and the 20 sided split into 2 pieces , the whole table went completely silent staring at the broken dice then they all turned to stare at me. I just said," Everyone, free attack." they all yelled and threw 20s.
    7) When would you be available to START: Next Saturday(your game).
    Thanks Paxx

1) Licence type (free/demo, standard, ultimate):
    Ultimate
    2) I assume you want to play, but are you interested in DMing on alternate weeks?:
    I too can feel your pain for wanting to play. I have Dmed in the past and am willing to DM a campaign alongside yours. I have been working on a story for awhile now.
    If yes, what is your past DM experience (having none is okay, I am willing to help you out a bit):
    I have played Tabletops for about 10 years or so. I have Dmed a few 3.5 games, 5E games, and a cpl savage worlds games.
    If yes, what system (5e or Pathfinder 2e preferred) do you want to run?:
    I would run 5E so that we don't have to switch rule sets.
    If yes, published adventure (which one[s]) or homebrew (give something like the setting flavour and scenario details like I did above):
    It would be homebrewed setting. Players would start out as slaves/prisoners and I don't want to give too many details but I enjoy a sandbox setting where the players can go where ever their heart takes them. I will of course have plot hooks to keep the main story alive. The world would be evolving as the players progress so things might have changed if they try and revisit old towns they once were in.
    3) Favorite thing about playing TTRPGs like D&D:
    I love the RP part. How much fun and emotion that can be brought to life be friends getting together and creating a story of their own.
    4) Describe your ideal DM (at least one 'must have/do' and at least one 'NOPE factor'):
    Ideal Dm would be one that knows the rules but allows for imagination and fun. It is after all a fantasy game.
    5) Describe your ideal group (the people not the characters/roles):
    I enjoy most players. I don't like the rules lawyers to argue while in session but they are good to have around if you forget a rule.
    6) Tell us about your favorite D&D (or other TTRPG) moment and tell us WHY it was so awesome/cool/impactful/important to you:
    Dwarf Barbarian, while traveling with the party we ran into a very racist town that would not let us in. exact words were this gate will not open for the likes of you. Well my character likes a challenge. I grapple the guard and begin to drag him away from the door. The party split instantly. Just me and the scared guard. I get about 30 ft when he starts panicking realizing he can't break free. Calls for reinforcements. the whole time I haven't taken my eyes off the gate. Getting pelted with arrows and raging the entire time. Once the gate opened to let reinforcements out I release the guard and say HA thought you said it would't open for me. Then got knocked out and thrown in jail. lol
    7) When would you be available to START for 4 hours weekly (missing the occasional session is okay because real life happens, especially if notice can be provided) in the ranges of Saturday afternoon starting sometime in 10am-7pm or Sunday morning/early afternoon starting sometime in 10am-2pm (times in UTC-6):
    I can start any weekend. I am off every weekend. I would prefer Sunday games. EST time zone

1) Licence type (free/demo, standard, ultimate): Ult
    2) I assume you want to play, but are you interested in DMing on alternate weeks?: I have DMed one shots, I want to get better, open to doing a one shot or two for change of pace (looks like you have way better quality help up top!) Also saw a guy who was not new to DMing but new to FG DMing - would love to be a fly on the wall while you teach! Applying for player!
    If yes, what is your past DM experience (having none is okay, I am willing to help you out a bit): One shot or two offline - I have 1-2 sessions of one shots IN FG
    If yes, what system (5e or Pathfinder 2e preferred) do you want to run?: 5e
    If yes, published adventure (which one[s]) or homebrew (give something like the setting flavour and scenario details like I did above): I have ultimate lic and LMoP! Would want to do that Adventure.
    3) Favorite thing about playing TTRPGs like D&D: Watching your character develop over time. Also watching group dynamics\relationships change after large events. The RP is fun but who doesn't love the battlechess aspect of DnD?
    4) Describe your ideal DM (at least one 'must have/do' and at least one 'NOPE factor'):I mean - dealing with different DM styles is part of the game so no preference or 'ideal'. However, a bigger nope or discouraging behavior for me is when a DM purposely roadblocks a player for no narrative reason. Its one thing to try to funnel a player towards a large 'game changing' obstacle or personal block to where their character may develop or possibly put them in an odd situation to keep the story moving. Doing it just to be a **** is a no no for me.
    5) Describe your ideal group (the people not the characters/roles):Honestly, a group that can talk some **** outta character, have a good time (beer and pretzel aspect) but when the game\story demands it, is in character and making good decisions for the group. Also, everyone was new once upon a time, love playing with new folks - as long as there is some semblance of learning haha. Thinking of the non-hexblade warlock that would always flank with a friend to get the friend advantage and the grand prize of being unconscious 90% of the battles
    6) Tell us about your favorite D&D (or other TTRPG) moment and tell us WHY it was so awesome/cool/impactful/important to you: I was a player in a game where it was a party of 4 and the 2 males and 2 females paired up (both were friends IRL too). In a homebrew game, a wizard was a heavy frost leaning in theme and storyline. The DM had given him the ability to freeze water at will on touch (a small amount but multiple times). We were 7th level so, it wasn't so bad and we were in a dungeon that had two levels and the top level was quite high and there were already a handful of visual traps and obstacles in our way. There was a 5 foot wide flow of water through the bottom floor of the dungeon and the wizard asked "Can I use my control water cantrip to raise water about 5 feet in front of me in the shape of steps and then freeze it solid? DM saw no reason why not - he then proceeded to create an elaborte and ornate set of widing staircase to the level above by passing quite a few dangers! DM thought it was equally as clever and clearly allowed it! Very smart, very thematic and honestly good RP too as the frost power was newer so he started with primitive steps and then got fancier and fancier with the staircase and the DM had him even roll a bit of a performance as he molded these stairs out of water\ice.
    7) When would you be available to START for 4 hours weekly (missing the occasional session is okay because real life happens, especially if notice can be provided) in the ranges of Saturday afternoon starting sometime in 10am-7pm or Sunday morning/early afternoon starting sometime in 10am-2pm (times in UTC-6): Crap news, this group sounds perfect but I have a 4 year old and those times are like anti 4 year old haha. I travel a ton so i spend my mornings\afternoons with the little one making sure we get our 'us' time while i am not on the road! So usually my start time is stuck to around 8pm MST. Idk how flexible you guys are or will be but, even if you put me in the reserves, worth a shot.

1) standard
    2)That's me, new to DMing FG.. I DMed 1st, 2nd, 3, 3.5..My longest single campaign was weekly for 5 years, I think only 1 character made it though the whole thing, but all the players where the same. I would run 5e, it can be more challenging for players, if done right, then I first thought. I like the surprise on their faces when it isn't what they were expecting. ect: Holy crap, is that thing alive? and why is it so big!! or watching them get a item I created that does something unique for that one character ( they all know their's is coming or they already have it .)Got to stop. I am a home-brew DM or what we call regular DMing.
    Out of time for now, work tomorrow,

1) Licence type: standard
    2) I am returning to gaming after a long hiatus. I might be interested in DMing, but I have virtually no experience in that capacity, and would probably be worried about messing it up. As far as systems go, I'd tend to favor 5E modules til I could develop some solid homebrew ideas.
    3) The thing TTRPGs have that I just haven't been able to really get in similar themed games is the immersion- getting a wide spectrum of interaction within the game context, allowing for creative attempts at resolving the problems and situations faced.
    4) I look for attention to detail in a DM, and strong communication skills to explain rationales for game mechanics. Being quick witted is also a must have, as well as a sense for the dramatic as it organically occurs, rather than artificially constructing dramas for the characters. (I will admit that the latter distinction is subjective, and very nuanced; it's a 'know it when you see it/feel it' sort of situation)
    5) As I said previously, I am getting back into gaming after a long hiatus. I am looking to find a a friendly group (chemistry is super important) who can take the game seriously, but keeps the ethic of "this is game, and we are doing this for fun" in the forefront.
    6) I spent nearly an entire winter playing D&D 1E once. I had just graduated from college, and was not finding career-type employment. I had taken a sales job in the summer, and had made enough money that if I scrimped, I could coast for a while. A friend of mine who owned a farmhouse offered me a room. Along with that circle of friends (who for the most part worked construction jobs in the spring-fall and took the winter off), we just sort of ended up playing a LOT of D&D in various homebrewed worlds.
    7) I have flexibility and could start in any of these ranges of Saturday afternoon starting sometime in 10am-7pm or Sunday morning/early afternoon starting sometime in 10am-2pm (times in UTC-6)

1) Licence type (free/demo, standard, ultimate): Ultimate
    2) I assume you want to play, but are you interested in DMing on alternate weeks?: I can but I DM a group on Saturdays and am looking to play on Sundays
    If yes, what is your past DM experience (having none is okay, I am willing to help you out a bit): I am currently DMinga group in Pathfinder.
    If yes, what system (5e or Pathfinder 2e preferred) do you want to run?: Pathfinder, 2e, 5e
    If yes, published adventure (which one[s]) or homebrew (give something like the setting flavor and scenario details like I did above): We are doing Curse of the Crimson Throne and are about halfway through
    3) Favorite thing about playing TTRPGs like D&D: Take a break from real life
    4) Describe your ideal DM (at least one 'must have/do' and at least one 'NOPE factor'): Must be patient and cannot have an air of superiority. Work with players that aren't as advanced
    5) Describe your ideal group (the people not the characters/roles): Supportive, want to have fun. Not a bunch of min/maxers that criticize your builds or actions because they think they are better at playing your character than you are
    6) Tell us about your favorite D&D (or other TTRPG) moment and tell us WHY it was so awesome/cool/impactful/important to you: I had a 2e rogue that I played in the '80s that had a button thing. If there was any kind of button he would just go press it to see what would happen. We played homebrews in those days so the DM had great fun at the expense of my character
    7) When would you be available to START for 4 hours weekly. Sundays only starting Dec 16 pretty much anytime

Licence type: Standard
    2) I assume you want to play, but are you interested in DMing on alternate weeks?: I wouldnt mind if you show me how, as an artist I like the creating of maps and junk but I'm like a super noob who constantly has to reference books for rules and junk so you'd have to bear with the learning curve

If yes, what system (5e or Pathfinder 2e preferred) do you want to run?: I've only ever played 5e I think
    I've only ever played homebrew, I tend to find super creative Dm's

3) Favorite thing about playing TTRPGs like D&D: Role play and the unknown possibilities and organic evolution of all related elements (plus spending time nerding out with friends)
    4) Describe your ideal DM (at least one 'must have/do' and at least one 'NOPE factor'): A sense of humor. my nope would probably be someone who gets upset when plans dont turn out the way they wanted.
    5) Describe your ideal group (the people not the characters/roles): I like playing with people who have a respect for the game and the people involved. I had a game where too many people were allowed to just break the game because the DM was bullied by them
    6) Tell us about your favorite D&D (or other TTRPG) moment and tell us WHY it was so awesome/cool/impactful/important to you: Our ship was being sunk after a giant hole was bitten into the side by a monster and my character used their "survival" skill and saved the boat from sinking a few extra turns by turning the sales up to catch wind like the end of the dreamworks sin bad movie. It was great because I got my first nat 20 and everyone in the room just couldnt believe it and laughed

Um, im in PST but it doesn't really matter because I'm a full time online student/ dog sitter so I never leave my hosue and I sleep/ whatever whenever I feel like it. Saturdays are better for me though since I have lots of school work due sundays .

hoping there is still room / I dont sound like too much trouble!

Thread Information