FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Effect Duration Bugs - Can't Clear and Updates Don't Erase Before Redraw...

There are 2 bugs that relate to effect duration handling, as follows:

1. It is not possible to clear the fixed duration after setting it. In the image below, I set the duration to 1 and then tried to clear it. You can see that I have cleared the duration in the pop-up, but it refuses to clear in the main view (still set to 1) no matter what I do. I can set it higher, but I can't set it back to 0.

2. When modifying an effect duration, such as using Ctrl+Mouse Wheel Scroll to change the value (as I have done in the image below), the duration field graphics update code is not first erasing the drawing area before drawing the new value, resulting in garbled text in the value field. This is just 1 place where there issue happens, but I think I have seen it elsewhere.

Garbled text (no erase updates) also exists in the effect field when pasting text that is too long for the visible area - for example:

The garbled text will also occur when setting focus on an effect field that has text longer than the visible area or when trying to scroll the insertion point through it using the right/left cursor keys.

Oh...hmmm...maybe the same bug, where in case 1 you are just not doing the erase of the field, so it looks like the duration is still there, but really, it's not. Let me check. Nope...after setting some weird value, if I hit 0 again, it updates to 1 Rnd. So...a different issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HoloGnome; November 24th, 2019 at 20:55.

The problems in the above post seem to be fixed in today's update. I cannot reproduce them at the moment after updating? Were they explicitly fixed or were they related to the recursive loop issue?

Also, for anyone looking at the effect text in the debug image, note that it has to be SAVE:2 fortitude,circumstance. "fort" does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by HoloGnome View Post
    The problems in the above post seem to be fixed in today's update. I cannot reproduce them at the moment after updating? Were they explicitly fixed or were they related to the recursive loop issue?

Also, for anyone looking at the effect text in the debug image, note that it has to be SAVE:2 fortitude,circumstance. "fort" does not work.
    Yes it was related to the loop error, I found the loop error while researching your issue, forgot to post the fix here after I pushed it.
    Discord User : Samarex#0318
    Ultimate License
    Starfinder Society ID#:274538
    Lets Play a RPG

OK - I found a simple set of steps that shows the problem with text overwriting/garbling.

Steps to Reproduce (Steps 6-8 should show the problem on any sheet. 1-5 are just setup):
    1. Click on the + to create a new PC in the PC window.
    2. Click on the Action Tab
    3. Right click and create a new ability class
    4. Add 1 section
    5. Create a spell
    6. Create an effect for the spell
    7. Minimize the horizontal width of the character sheet
    8. Start typing on the effect line and just keep going. When the text hits the right edge of the window, it begins overwriting itself and becomes garbled.

This bug also happens with copy-paste when the content exceeds the window width and when clicking to apply focus to a field that contains text that is wider than the visible area.

Can't get it to duplicate on mine. The text just scrolls...off to the left as I type. Even tried pasting a long string in there...worked the same way

ScrollingText.PNG
    Last edited by deer_buster; December 3rd, 2019 at 12:28.
    aka Laendra

(Discord: Laendra#9660)
    Ultimate license (FGC/FGU)
    Current Timezone : Central (CDT) (GMT -5)
    OP: 3317036507 / 2369539

My opinions are my own and represent no entity other than myself

Extension Support Discord: https://discord.gg/gKgC7nGpZK

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Hmmm...after you type, try clicking on the right half of the text. That will also cause it. I was just able to reproduce it again, making sure that all extensions were off, and it still occurred.

Also, I noticed that when typing long values in the effect duration field, they overrun the box. It may be a similar problem related to text entry and the visible bounds of the target. The duration field is definitely an intentional stress test and nobody will probably do that, but it may help find this problem.

So, the only 2 fields that seem to have a prroblem now are the effect text and the effect duration field. The others seem OK as in the attached screenshot. Thx for looking into this one. If there's anything else you would like me to try, let me know. For this test, I used the entire set of steps in my previous post from PC creation, etc.

Also, in terms of generalized testing, this problem does not happen on my client in the PFRPG ruleset. So, there must be something in SFRPG that is causing it.

Aha! In SFRPG, make sure you are trying to look for this problem on the ACTION TAB as in the original instructions. Oh...you were using actions...hmmm. Anyway, for me, it does not happen on the SPELLS TAB. However, the bug with text overrunning the effect duration also happens on the spells tab.

However, maybe you can look to see how that text control is handled in Actions vs. Spells and maybe that will find it.

I just tried a number of other test permutations and the bug seems to be 100% reproducible no matter what I do, including disabling all content, except the Character/PC button. Also, note that one other difference in my client is that I am just using SFRPG with no add-ons. That shouldn't matter...but just another variable.

Last edited by HoloGnome; December 3rd, 2019 at 18:07.

In case we are down to an OS/Config Issue. I am running Windows 7. Seems unlikely...but just in case.

I'm able to cause it by clicking on the right half of the control with long text in there. Fixed should come out with v1.2.4
    aka Laendra

Extensions = risk to your gaming experience. If you haven't tested out the extensions in your campaign before your gaming session, turn them off. If you don't backup your campaigns regularly, you're doing it wrong.

Great - glad you could reproduce it. Did you also find the issue with the duration value boxes?

The duration was fixed too
    aka Laendra

Thread Information