STAR TREK 2d20

Is Hazirawn OP for 7th lvl?

My group just finished HotDQ and killed Rezmir. My barbarian got Hazirawn and tonight we just did some custom encounters and messed around as we have a new player and I wanted them to get familiar with FG before we head into RoT. I (the DM) feel like the weapon is pretty stong to near OP for this level of play. Most of the party agrees and even the Barb thinks it could use a little Nerf. HAs anybody else had the same feeling? Its an awesome magic item and the only legenday one they have found so far. I kinda want to let it play out and just adjust encounters a little but Im not sure. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Smustin View Post
    My group just finished HotDQ and killed Rezmir. My barbarian got Hazirawn and tonight we just did some custom encounters and messed around as we have a new player and I wanted them to get familiar with FG before we head into RoT. I (the DM) feel like the weapon is pretty stong to near OP for this level of play. Most of the party agrees and even the Barb thinks it could use a little Nerf. HAs anybody else had the same feeling? Its an awesome magic item and the only legenday one they have found so far. I kinda want to let it play out and just adjust encounters a little but Im not sure. Thoughts?
    Last year Hazirawn was declared a "problematic item" by the Adventurer's League and banned completely. All players who have it got it stripped and replaced with some random treasure points. Previously, it was just untradeable but you could get it and use it. They decided after a year of experience that this didn't go far enough and banned it completely. It really is that bad.

My recommendation is that unless you have not only a very high powered game, but also one that works with evil player characters, that you replace it with a generic flametongue. Do remember that it is not only a super powerful weapon, it also is intelligent, neutral evil, and probably not fond of the player wielding it. How that plays out is on you as the DM, unlike other sentient items the personality and goals weren't defined in the adventure. For myself, I would declare that it decides it hates its wielder for defeating its mistress and assaulting the cult of the dragon so starts using its mind reading abilities to make the player think everyone in the party hates them, then try to talk the player into killing teammates. Hopefully the party would destroy the item or get rid of it rather than fall into PVP.

You might look over the other items on the list and use them with caution as well. Generally speaking they were banned for good reason.

Glad to hear Im not crazy. Good call on flametongue as a replacement too. Mahalo!

Thread Information