STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Exploration Mode

What do people think about maybe altering the party sheet (possibly in the order tab) so that there is a way of assigning the various exploration activities to the players. Maybe drop down list?
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

I think you would have to implement it using temporary effects but normally those only get evaluated in combat tracker during a round so not sure how it will work.

Scout; INIT: 1

I think having a list of the available roles to assign each party member would be great (maybe adding a second for those who get one automatically like always searching while doing another activity) to help the DM keep track of who’s doing what. Currently I write it in a note and keep it minimizes but this would help make it much easier for me when I’m running game

Yeah I was more thinking of using as a way to remind the DM and players what mode they are in; like party order
    "When questing once in noble wood of gray medieval pine, I came upon a tomb, rain-slicked, rubbed cool, ethereal, its inscription long vanished, yet still within its melancholy fissures."

Quote Originally Posted by Willot View Post
    What do people think about maybe altering the party sheet (possibly in the order tab) so that there is a way of assigning the various exploration activities to the players. Maybe drop down list?
    I think it's a good idea. But I wouldn't use a drop-down list. The usual approach in Fantasy Grounds for non-static data is drag-drop (love it or hate it, it's a very flexible way of catering to expanding data, both custom and official). So, I'd envisage dragging an action (still to be fully developed) to a PC in the party sheet - on the first page or the marching order page or somewhere else. This will fill out the name of the activity plus provide a link to get more info.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Trenloe View Post
    I think it's a good idea. But I wouldn't use a drop-down list. The usual approach in Fantasy Grounds for non-static data is drag-drop (love it or hate it, it's a very flexible way of catering to expanding data, both custom and official). So, I'd envisage dragging an action (still to be fully developed) to a PC in the party sheet - on the first page or the marching order page or somewhere else. This will fill out the name of the activity plus provide a link to get more info.
    Sounds amazing!

Drop-down list wouldn't work in some cases anyway - for example high level Rogues have a feat that allows them to have two exploration activities at once.

Any update on this? Recently we discussed with my team that they have no way to show what their current exploring action is. I am thinking about using effects in the combat window, but outside the combat, it's also hard to follow because of tons of windows. I don't get it why FGU still has no solution to "alt-tab" these windows or something.

EDIT: huh, now I see the update 19 and the discussion below on the Exploration Activites Don't mind me here then...

EDIT 2:

Actually,

Inspired by Trenloe's idea posted in the update I have made my own nice image with a grid to track player's activities in the Exploration Mode. You need to put tokens there (but not character sheet tokens, as they can be only on one map at the time AFAIK).

This is how it looks:

exploration_example.png

The pin is pointing the Exploration Activities description in the official Ruleset.

I am attaching my .mod file with this image, so you can easily add it to your campaigns

EDIT 3:
    I have updated the mod as it was providing Raise a Shield action, which is not an Exploration action. Instead I replaced it with Cover tracks exploration action from the Skills.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ivell; May 21st, 2023 at 20:47. Reason: Adding mod

Quote Originally Posted by ivell View Post
    Inspired by Trenloe's idea posted in the update I have made my own nice image with a grid to track player's activities in the Exploration Mode. You need to put tokens there (but not character sheet tokens, as they can be only on one map at the time AFAIK).

This is how it looks:

Attachment 54628

The pin is pointing the Exploration Activities description in the official Ruleset.

I am attaching my .mod file with this image, so you can easily add it to your campaigns
    Nice take on this idea. Thanks for sharing the module file.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Quote Originally Posted by ivell View Post
    Any update on this? Recently we discussed with my team that they have no way to show what their current exploring action is. I am thinking about using effects in the combat window, but outside the combat, it's also hard to follow because of tons of windows. I don't get it why FGU still has no solution to "alt-tab" these windows or something.

EDIT: huh, now I see the update 19 and the discussion below on the Exploration Activites Don't mind me here then...

EDIT 2:

Actually,

This is how it looks:

Attachment 54628

Hi, I've recently started using this and noticed that it has both Defend and Raise a Shield, the latter of which is what happens at the start of an encounter if you do the former. Maybe you could replace Raise a Shield with Cover Tracks instead

Thread Information