DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last

New UI - same as the old UI

I've just installed the Unity version and I have to say ... I'm disappointed to see the UI is so similar to the previous version. This seems like an opportunity for a clean UI with less space taken up with unnecessary decals, textures and so on. For example, in the Setup screen the buttons appear to have left/right arrows (indicating you can cycle forwards or backwards on things like the background decal) but they don't work as arrows at all.

What are our chances of getting a simple text-based UI with lists that come out, similar to that used on a website? By all means leave the graphically fancy option, but I'd like an easier-to-read interface for my hard-of-sight player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleak Midwinter View Post
    I've just installed the Unity version and I have to say ... I'm disappointed to see the UI is so similar to the previous version.
    That's one of the things I like about the Unity version.

The UI is mainly determined by rulesets and rulesets aren't changing that much - hence the same look and feel is carried over to Unity. Changing the UI would require a considerable rewrite of the entire client and all of the rulesets. Also I'm with Andraax on this one too.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

I'm with Bleak Midwinter, looking forward to a UI release that uses a more modern style. The current UI is why I haven't been able to get my group on board with using it, it is the roadblock for us. Smiteworks finally got the unity beta out, so I have hope that the UI gets dragged in to the modern era sooner or later
    Last edited by boog; November 18th, 2019 at 02:20.

Since the UI is mostly tied to the ruleset, you are free to write your own ruleset that has whatever UI you'd like...

There are already very often and large discussions about that (and I am in the camp for the actual UI, too, I like these "graphically fancy options" for a more immersive game but I understand when one likes different things though).

Just about the visual thing: Do you not like the simple grey theme as here?

screenshot0032.png

Or simple brown?

screenshot0033.png

(the functionality is of course the same, I'm only speaking about the visuals because you mentioned them, too) They look very modern in my opinion But I've seen in many discussions that what is modern depends on the user, too I never had the feeling that there is a general consensus about these things

Quote Originally Posted by Kelrugem View Post
    There are already very often and large discussions about that (and I am in the camp for the actual UI, too, I like these "graphically fancy options" for a more immersive game but I understand when one likes different things though).

Just about the visual thing: Do you not like the simple grey theme as here?

screenshot0032.png

Or simple brown?

screenshot0033.png

(the functionality is of course the same, I'm only speaking about the visuals because you mentioned them, too) They look very modern in my opinion But I've seen in many discussions that what is modern depends on the user, too I never had the feeling that there is a general consensus about these things
    It's the functionality that I am referring to. The wheel menu in particular, when I or a player right click an area and get the wheel menu instead of a list of options in text form, it's a bit jarring. FG certainly has a lot going for it, but the interaction for new users requires a very sharp learning curve, one that my group and I are not totally on board with climbing. Having UI elements that behave like other UI elements in an OS, linx or windows or mac, would be a big step to getting us moved over.

Maybe the term I need to use is UX? Not my area of expertise, by any stretch, but I know that no other software I interact with behaves like FG, and that is stopping me from moving over to it. Like I said, I know the team is working hard, I just hope they clean the interface up at some point so new users don't have to spend hours/days learning how to work with the software before they can start gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by boog View Post
    It's the functionality that I am referring to. The wheel menu in particular, when I or a player right click an area and get the wheel menu instead of a list of options in text form, it's a bit jarring. FG certainly has a lot going for it, but the interaction for new users requires a very sharp learning curve, one that my group and I are not totally on board with climbing. Having UI elements that behave like other UI elements in an OS, linx or windows or mac, would be a big step to getting us moved over.

Maybe the term I need to use is UX? Not my area of expertise, by any stretch, but I know that no other software I interact with behaves like FG, and that is stopping me from moving over to it. Like I said, I know the team is working hard, I just hope they clean the interface up at some point so new users don't have to spend hours/days learning how to work with the software before they can start gaming.
    Ah, sorry, I basically answered to Bleak Midwinter Therefore I answered about the visuals

I understand that one has to get used to certain things, personally, for me the radial was never a problem (except, at the very beginning, to find out how to close the program for this it would be nice to have a button in the options menu, too, because there I was intuively looking at then). Personally I like the radial menu but I understand that one has to get used to it. I view FG as a tool for DMs and therefore I expected to get used to some things as typical for tools Yes, maybe your approach would be better but I also see the problem with respect to coding, a lot of things would have to be changed to switch the behaviour there. I do not know if that is worth the costs and time, but I also already got used to it, so I am surely a bit biased here

Ah, sorry, I basically answered to Bleak Midwinter Therefore I answered about the visuals
    Oops! My bad

I understand that one has to get used to certain things, personally, for me the radial was never a problem (except, at the very beginning, to find out how to close the program for this it would be nice to have a button in the options menu, too, because there I was intuively looking at then). Personally I like the radial menu but I understand that one has to get used to it. I view FG as a tool for DMs and therefore I expected to get used to some things as typical for tools Yes, maybe your approach would be better but I also see the problem with respect to coding, a lot of things would have to be changed to switch the behaviour there. I do not know if that is worth the costs and time, but I also already got used to it, so I am surely a bit biased here

I don't doubt that it is a significant undertaking to uncouple the code for the interface from the code for the games, and that plenty of people have adjusted to it over the years I just hope the FG team takes on cleaning up the UI/UX at some point for us new users Regardless, cheers for a friendly online forum discussion :beers:

Quote Originally Posted by boog View Post
    I don't doubt that it is a significant undertaking to uncouple the code for the interface from the code for the games, and that plenty of people have adjusted to it over the years I just hope the FG team takes on cleaning up the UI/UX at some point for us new users Regardless, cheers for a friendly online forum discussion :beers:
    yeah, we will see what comes in the future (:coffee: )

Thread Information