5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Players unable to join

I've followed the port forwarding directions and am successful in my test connection (see attached). But my friends are unable to join my game.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Welcome Lurch0181

Have you started/loaded the campaign? The players should be able to connect with your external ip address OR the alias once your campaign is running.

Make sure they have a username in the first field.

I just successfully connected to your table - and I see a swag of players

Some advice... if you are new to this on FG - get rid of most of those extensions until you have the base sorted out... you also have a bunch of themes that conflict with each other

Thank you Damned! However, my two friends who are trying to connect are both getting "unable to connect to host" errors. I'm at a loss on what to do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch0181 View Post
    Thank you Damned! However, my two friends who are trying to connect are both getting "unable to connect to host" errors. I'm at a loss on what to do.
    Are they on the same network as you? Then they should be using your internal IP address, not the alias or external IP address.

What else can you tell us about them? Where are they? Where are you?

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    Are they on the same network as you? Then they should be using your internal IP address, not the alias or external IP address.

What else can you tell us about them? Where are they? Where are you?
    They are not on the same network, and are thus using my external IP address or alias. But we all live in the same city. We could all join the game hosted by one of them, but he isn't going to dm at the moment, they just can't join my game.

1) Start by double checking your IP: https://whatismyipaddress.com/

2) Start up the FG server so the computer is listening for incoming pings or contacts.

3) Ping from an outside service to to see if you're getting though. Using your IP address from step 2, adding the default FG port used, 1802, at the end. Se example below. https://ping-test.org/
    Using [Your IP address]:1802, ex. '209.85.255.255:1802'.

Ping Result 1:
    If you're getting a reply (packages are returned) your server is responding, your router is accepting inbound connections via that port, your connection is working outbound.

If this is the case, they are probably entering the wrong alias/ip and/or password.

Ping Result 2:
    If you lose all your packages, then there is a problem along the line there.

Most likely either you have not set things up correctly on the router or there is a firewall either on the router or your computer blocking incoming packages.

=====

For myself when I started out running games on FG. I had sporadic success with connections, some evenings it would work fine, others not, but restarting the router seemed to work most of the times.

Problem turned out being not having set up port forwarding for FG on the router to the correct port 1802 yet. Thereby the connection via the router kept getting blocked sometimes and sometimes not.
    Even if it showed a good / green connection on the connection test, didn't mean that outside pinging via a third party test website would work.

However whenever an outside ping worked, the players could connect.

The good news is though, that once I set things up properly on the router, I've never had any connection issues since.

Good luck.
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; November 24th, 2019 at 12:38.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by damned View Post
    Whats your Alias please?
    It's in the attachment in my first post

Blog Entries
    Hi Lurch0181

Sorry I forgot I tested joining your game already.
    Either the players have:

1. Incorrectly entered the alias or WAN IP (maybe copy/pasted a space in there?)
    2. not entered a player name
    3. have a local firewall issue on their software
    4. you have inadvertently activated a firewall rule against their IPs only
    5. there is a routing issue between them and you

If its working for other players and not them you might need to troubleshoot those things above or install hamachi and have the players who cannot connect do the same and connect via hamachi while the others connect normally and stop chasing your tails?

I am actually also having this problem at the moment, and it is a strange one. I went through all the debugging with the player who couldn't connect. It really made no sense...or so I thought. I know my setup works because I just ran FGCON and have never had any player connect issues. The player can do a full tracert to me with no problems and he can also connect to another FG GM friend, so I was scratching my head. Then, when I asked for his IP, I noticed that he was connecting via IPv6. I have an older router that doesn't support it. So, I am posting this comment here for you to check the following issue: player possibly using IPv6 and you being on IPv4, where the IPv6 traffic is not being passed through because of router issues -- either because it is unsupported or you are blocking IPv6. In the very least, it's something else to check. and/or be aware of, now that we are in the IPv6/v6 transitional gray area.

Thread Information