DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: search question

search question

i would click on NPC or ITEM or SPELL.

it would open, i would begin to type something. as i typed, it would auto filter what i was searching for. so if i was looking for ice devil. as soon as i typed I, only things beginning with the letter I would be there. then ic and then ice and so on.

that was awesome, a few letters and it would narrow it down and i found what i was after quickly.

i opened FG today and that no longer works. i have to type something and hit search for it to look.

did i change a setting somehow?

any help would be great.

Kordin

See the top bullet point in the v3.3.9 release notes: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filel...atchnotes.html
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

well. thanks for info.

i feel silly for not looking there first.

i also feel very sad that has been implemented. ugg

thanks again
    Last edited by Kordin; November 15th, 2019 at 18:35.

I have to agree on this one. It makes sense for assets due to how they are changing.
    But for NPCs, spells, all the other ones basically. Having it search through as you type in the letters feels much better.

I imagine this is done so it behaves the same way everywhere. Personally I'd prefer to keep what we have for searching through the DB entries, then have the Assets work on an search after 'enter' basis.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

Blog Entries
    You can still do that, but you have to hit enter or click the search button if you want to see filtered results along the way. This is a necessary step to get FG to do less throw-away work. Searching for everything containing an I is expensive and time-consuming. "IC" is a little better but still not ideal. When most GMs mostly want to see everything with "ICE", it makes sense to wait until they've done that much before initiating the expensive search operation. The cost for this search is currently higher within FGU for a reason we have yet to identify, so it was put in place mainly for that. On the plus side, it opens up the door to do other cool things with search such as supporting multiple keywords in the same search. Previously, there was no way to search for dwarf and fighter together or sword and +3. You could only search for contiguous search terms. Now, you can search for dwarf, fighter and have it return: Dwarf (fighter) L12, Fighter-dwarf-2, Dwarf Raging Fighter, etc.

I get it. It is simply a change to get used to and learn to use it to our advantage. I am all for making it easy on the system. The faster it runs, the better.
    If this is the worse thing i have to complain about. Then i have no complaints. Thanks for the hard work.

While I'll miss the instant search for spells and items etc., that does make sense and the search combination of multiple terms is sure to prove useful. Thanks for the clarification.
    Last edited by StoryWeaver; November 24th, 2019 at 12:55.
    Extension writer, FGU Backer, Ultimate License holder.

5E Enhancer (development and support on hold for now)

Combat Enhancer 5E Classic (no longer officially supported, community support only)

ps. Do not send PM's for support for the extensions I write, I will not not be able to respond there. Use the relevant forum threads instead so the community can benefit from the replies, thank you.

For me, pressing Enter does not initiate a search.

If I enter a word in the Images search field, the string entered is marked, but no search is initiated. If I then switch to the search field of another tab, e.g. Story, then the search in my Images is started. I really do not understand how this is supposed to work.

Any advice is appreciated :-) Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snippels View Post
    For me, pressing Enter does not initiate a search.

If I enter a word in the Images search field, the string entered is marked, but no search is initiated. If I then switch to the search field of another tab, e.g. Story, then the search in my Images is started. I really do not understand how this is supposed to work.

Any advice is appreciated :-) Thanks!
    What ruleset are you using? Are you using any extensions that modify the search fields? Maybe provide a screenshot of the issue - showing the chat window just after campaign load (so we can see the exact versions of everything loaded) and also the windows that you're trying to search in - with the text entered.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Thanks Trenloe.

When I enter "Adrian" and press Enter, then the String "Adrian" gets highlighted in blue but the search is not triggered. I've disabled all extensions. I am using PFRPG.

Screenshot: Search Issue.jpg

Thread Information