FG Spreadshirt Swag

View Poll Results: What release schedule should SmiteWorks use for FGU?

Voters
707. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-sale FGU in mid-December

33 4.67%
  • Launch Early Access FGU in mid-December

123 17.40%
  • Hold FGU release until 2020 for more polish

531 75.11%
  • Something else

20 2.83%
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... Last
    Blog Entries

Question Poll: Early Access or Pre-Sale in December

We are knocking out bugs as quickly as possible but we don't yet feel like the software is anywhere complete enough for official release. Our target release date of December 2019 does not feel reachable to us at this point. That could still change, but we need to plan ahead for the actual launch process. There are a few options available that we could consider. This coincides with Steam and the annual holiday sales that typically occur around the end of the year. We can't disclose those dates, but you can make some educated guesses (please not here).

Option 1 - Pre-sale Fantasy Grounds starting in December
    Customers would have the option to buy Fantasy Grounds Unity starting in December. Customers would not gain access to the program until it officially launches in 2020 (possibly late January or even later). This would allow people to put it on Christmas lists but it would be a delayed satisfaction. Customers on Steam would not be able to review the software until it officially launched.

Option 2 - Launch Fantasy Grounds Unity on Steam in Early Access in mid-December
    Customers can start using this alongside existing Alpha and Beta Kickstarter backers. KS backers with Ultimate licenses would now have a demo they could share with their players, but other players and GMs would also be able to access the software in its current, unfinished form. Early Access is fairly well known not to be complete, but some customers could post negative reviews on the game due to its buggy behavior.

Option 3 - Continue the Closed Beta and only release in 2020 when ready
    This helps ensure that the first experience with FGU for new customers is a better experience with all major bugs already squashed during the Closed Beta.

Option 4 - Something not listed above
    Please add your comments below for us to consider.
    Last edited by lokiare; November 21st, 2019 at 13:13. Reason: Changed 2nd option 3 to 4.

I'd prefer option 3 (the first option 3!).

I don't like option 1 - taking part in the holiday sales but not getting anything until, when exactly?

I also think option 2 would get a lot of negative reviews and opinions.

A lot of us have been waiting years for FG Unity. I like what I see so far and look forward to using FGU in anger, but waiting a few more months for a fully functional release is my preference.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I was not sure whether Option 1 or 3. On one hand I would choose 3 by the same reasons as Trenloe but on the other hand 1 is similarly as 3 (with respect to waiting times) with the distinction that one can already purchase it earlier for a better price (when there is a Christmas sale). Difficult choice.

I have a suggestion though (when either Option 1 or 2 is the chosen one at the end, so anything with early access) but I do not know whether this is technically possible:
    How about giving anyone, who buys FGU early, free access to FGC for playing already (like standard or ultimate license, depending on which FGU license is chosen) until FGU gets released; but then the free FGC access has to be removed again after FGU is released and therefore I am not sure whether this would work (EDIT2: maybe with an automatic sub for FGC until FGU is released?). But I wanted to mention it nevertheless The advantage would be that buyers can then already test and play parts of FGU in form of FGC and get already some form of satisfaction until FGU is released EDIT: The disadvantage is that especially new buyers might be confused about what is actually new in FGU. When someone dislikes the image stuff in FGC and do not know about that this is improved in FGU then they may get disappointed

EDIT3: This approach could also satisfy all the newcomers of the recent last time. There was often the advice to get a sub instead now and buy FGU later. They may or may not get disappointed when they have to extend their sub at least for one month but a free sub option when purchasing FGU until it's released might be satisfying for them
    Last edited by Kelrugem; November 15th, 2019 at 00:22.

Blog Entries
    Tough call...

1) Seems like a good call, but I would be very worried about setting a date. I think you would need a very solid date that you could give. And I don't know if you could do that. So to me it depends upon what the internal confidence level is on publicly announcing a date. Some will look at any slip in a date as a second failure on date and judge you very harshly on it.

2) What are Steam reviews like on other Early Access programs? And do those reviews stick around or still "count against you" after production release? What about non-Steam reviews, bloggers and such? How do you think they would be in terms of reception?

3) Certainly the safest choice. And nothing wrong with taking it because the others rely upon information that only you and your team know.

4) I'll think and see if I can come up with something

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Option 3. Most have been waiting for a while and would rather wait some more and get a usable product.

Option 1 Sounds more like a method to gain some extra funds post kickstarter but pre-full release. You can do it but I wouldn't release anything until it was fully ready.

Option 2 I don't like since the expectation for early access would be something that is usable even if buggy. If early access DMs couldn't run games on it then I wouldn't release it. I don't see the FGU in that state as yet.

FantasyGroundsCollege - Come get some free FG training on FGC.
    Last edited by jkagie; November 15th, 2019 at 00:15.

I would do a pre-lease. More people get there hands on it and be able to report bugs. It opens up the pool of people available. OR ... 2) Have a large open beta for the product. Be transparent. Let people know there is still bugs that is being meshed out. That way if they want to pre-purchase it, then they can accept it if they want.

I vote for Option #2. I've played many Early Access Games. The initial reviews don't matter; only the most recent reviews. Playing Early Access is only frustrating if the developers are not responsive, which FG won't have that problem. By going Early Access, you'll get an influx of cash and probably spread the recognition and adoption of FGU. Those that are price sensitive to FGU will be relieved, knowing full release is soon. Plus what better way to spend holiday cash?

Blog Entries
    I selfishly want option 3 because I want to be first(ish) to stream FGU. I think it's important for the community and the company to have someone proficient streaming it whether it be for showcasing or actual games.

I imagine allowing it to be streamed would not be available until the product is "public ready", so I would rather it not be out there to more than the 8500 beta testers (who have all agreed not to stream/show the product in any public way) until such time as it has been deemed "ready for broadcast".
    rob2e - Join me on Discord!
    Become a Patron!
    Follow me on the Twitters
    Come watch the Twitches... twitch.tv/rob2e
    Also my YouTube Channel
    Available on the FORGE
    My Dungeon Master's Guild Material

To be honest, anything other than #1 or #3 could annoy a lot of the people who backed the Kickstarter who thought they'd be the only people getting early access to the product before final release. Opening that up via early access in Steam could (would!) annoy a lot of people. And we don't need any more beta testers - as Rob2e says, we already have 8,500 of them!

I have complete faith in SmiteWorks, but there are plenty of Kickstarters out there that have struggled with delivery and gone on to do additional crowd funding to get more finances and then some fail, some deliver, some struggle on. I think doing anything other than what was set out in the original Kickstarter would make a few backers quite nervous...
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I chose "other" I would like to actually work with my players who have the demo version while i have the ultimate (which i do). I agree that it shouldn't go through steam and get slammed, potentially with negative reviews. This will allow me to try things in "real world scenarios" with my group and hopefully help flesh out bugs before it goes "live".

Thread Information