DICE PACKS BUNDLE

How easy / expensive is it to run just a battle map on FG?

Hi,
    I'm going to DM my first game tomorrow, the one-shot campaign Wolves of Welton. I have been trying to get some maps ready but am failing spectacularly, most notably because I have seemingly greatly underestimated the scale of DnD maps. The one I made for my final cave battle alone at 40x50 squares according to Dungeon Painter Online takes about 15 A3 pages. As this is obviously somewhat unreasonable, especially with ~3 combats planned, I am weighing up potential alternatives and as the room my campaign is running from is a college classroom there is a computer and projector. As I am just doing a one-shot for now and am a broke college student, I don't want to throw a few hundred quid at the game, core rulesets, etc, just yet. Am I able to get the base standard level Fantasy Grounds software, put together a map, throw some character tokens on it, and use it to show a map and the movement/death of characters on it? Preferably without forking out a small fortune on rulesets?

Thanks

welcome to the FG forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgren View Post
    Am I able to get the base standard level Fantasy Grounds software, put together a map, throw some character tokens on it, and use it to show a map and the movement/death of characters on it? Preferably without forking out a small fortune on rulesets?
    Yep.

A lot of people, me included, use FG for battle maps at the table top. I use a 48" TV laid flat on the table.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

It would work well on a projector - the base FG comes with some tokens, add your maps to FG and then project the map plus tokens - use the mask to reveal areas as the party explores, move the tokens around, etc.. You could do this with a standard license. There's a 30 day money back guarantee - no questions asked, so give it a go!
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

For a Face-to-face game you can try the DEMO version first see how you get on.

With the demo version you can on the same computer run a GM version and a Player version. Hopefully you are running on a laptop/computer with a screen and a projector - if this is the case run the GM on your laptop/machine attached screen - the player version on the projector.

The downside with the demo version is that you can not save anything which is a pain. If you do wish to go this route I would suggest you buying the GM only version (get it in a sale for around $29.99 - maybe cheaper?).

DPS works great for creating maps - I do this all the time. Export at the FG setting (50px) and you will be fine.

If you want any help with DPS and maps for FG setup let me know - I can be contacted on my unofficial DPS Discord channel:

https://discord.gg/nVtPk3f
    Ultimate License
    UK Time Zone (GMT/BST)
    DM'ing since 1977 (Basic D&D)

Currently Playing:
    Empire of the Ghouls 5E Campaign
    Tales from the Yawning Portal 5E Campaign
    Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder 1e
    Amazing Adventures 5E Campaign
    "Some are born to move the world, to live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about the things we'd like to be."
    Rush - Losing It

Currently DM'ing
    Princes of the Apocalypse 5E Campaign
    Waterdeep: Mad Mage 5E Campaign
    The Blight 5E Campaign

Blog Entries
    If you have a chance, jump in a free class at FG College. Will help you get up to speed really quickly.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Thread Information