DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    PF2e is good but it absolutely has its faults.

There are alot of finicky rules here and there that kinda get in the way. I also dislike how when playing with the rules as written, certain basic things are essentially impossible without certain skill feats (instead of just being easier with said feats). Some mechanics can be a bit onerous too (like the different "detected" states, handling afflictions and bonus stacking).

The strict Vancian casting is my least favorite thing about PF2. There some ways around this. I just allow my spontaneous casters to treat all spells as signature spells so if a players wants to play a caster further removed from Jack Vance, then he can. I really wish they would have just cribbed 5e casting. Oh well.

Alot of this stuff is easy enough to house rule away. But you are stuck with some of it.

Still, the core is super solid and makes for an engaging experience. The 3-action economy and how it impacts character building and gameplay is the star for me. 4 degrees of success is cool too. I really like the treasure system and that gold matters in this game. Now players have a use for all that loot. In 5e, I had to really work to add in subsystems and story hooks so players had a use for gold. In PF2, its just part of character customization as you get cash to work on your character's loadout.

Ultimately, its less cumbersome than 3.X, it challenges players more than 5e, and its less gamey than 4e. So, all in all, its a good game and one I can see playing over other fantasy titles currently out.
    Last edited by Mentalic; November 13th, 2019 at 05:02.

I used to think there was no way to beat PF1, but then I tried PF2. I won't be going back.

Sure, it has its flaws, but not many, IMO, and they will hopefully errata those away.

I obviously enjoy it (from all the contributions to the system I put into it). As important, my groups enjoy it a lot! Compared to PF1e, it's a homerun. I GM a lot of newer players and less rules intense types. For them, 5E was a blessing as they got to learn or rejoin the D&D worlds at a pace and difficulty level that brought them in with relative ease. Second Edition Pathfinder came along at a perfect time. It offered a little more crunch, much more customization, and some relatively easy to learn combat complexity for those ready to try something a little meatier.

Of the three groups I actively GM (online and in person), I'd say the vast majority of my players now prefer PF2 over any other version. I do have one PF1 holdout (he loves.. LOVES.. being able to really discover ways to seemingly break the system - he wants to find those combos that really create strong characters). I have a couple who still like the simplicity and ease of 5E. The rest are, at worst, equally enjoying PF2 or prefer it (with the edge on prefer).

The only area I reserve judgement on myself is what the future holds. It's easy for companies to try to continue to raise the bar with each companion book or expanded rules guide, creating the bloat and uncontrolled synergies of the previous version.

Honestly, right now, I think the bar is in a sweet spot. I eagerly look forward to the expansion of classes, races, creatures, etc., as well as new APs and Adventures, and trust that they've learned a lot from their caretaking of the 3.5E to PF transition. I expect PF2 to be an ever evolving product that doesn't need to one-up itself, just build upon what is a great product to start with.
    Ultimate License Owner since 2011 and FG GM since 2008
    Game Systems: 5E, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Call of Cthulhu, RoleMaster, C&C, Pathfinder 2, Old School Essentials

Home Page: ShadeRaven Sorceries (Blog, Fantasy & Campaign Stories, Cat Tales, and more)

For me it's a much needed change of pace from running 5E campaign for two years. I am about to start the PF2 adventure path so by the time I finish that 6th edition will be out!
    Plays good at low level , suitably deadly and challenging. I never enjoyed DM'ing 3e or 5e above level 10 so it will be interesting to see whether high level play is manageable .

I am not too keen on a couple of the classes being Champions and Alchemists and i don't think the Fall of Plaguestone is a great module or even a good module

My group has been die hard PF1. I also pulled two from a current and long term 5e. Both sets (2 players from each system) love Pathfinder 2e.

I am happy with it as well. Shade Ravens contributions have really helped and Trenloe has been quick to update the engine to bring in new features we want!

I spend over a decade running basically nothing but PF1e, so it's reasonable to say I am a pretty big fan of 1e.

Recently my friend asked me to co-GM Return of the Runelords with him, and I said I would only agree on the condition that we converted it to 2e, because I don't feel like running any more 1e games.

Yeah, I'd say Paizo nailed it with 2e.

Thread Information