DICE PACKS BUNDLE
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

So now that it's out, how do you like 2nd edition PF?

Been playing it for 2 months now and my short impression so far is the 1000xp normal leveling and easier to digest rules seems like a great option for new to intermediate players and GM's, but TBH 1st edition still represents what a real D&D like experience they could have ever gotten. I will be playing both!

Quote Originally Posted by KILLGORE View Post
    TBH 1st edition still represents what a real D&D like experience they could have ever gotten.
    Well, considering Pathfinder First Edition is completely based on D&D 3.5E, then that's expected. And it also depends on what you think a "real D&D like experience" actually is - there have been over 5 different versions of D&D over the years, some of which were quite different from their predecessors.

My recommendation is treat Pathfinder Second Edition as it's own RPG system. It's roots are in D&D 3.5E, but it's different enough. There's no harm in liking, and playing, both.

And 1,000xp per level is great for the players, but for GMs who calculate XP (don't use milestone levelling) it's a lot more complex than just totalling the XP of all the creatures defeated and dividing among the PCs (which is what Pathfinder first edition did).
    Last edited by Trenloe; November 12th, 2019 at 19:30.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

When I play first edition I miss second edition. 'Nuff said.

I didn't think this was going to be the case, In fact I bought the First edition Bestiary for the Second Edition rewrite of Kingmaker. I will not be using it.

We have a guy in our regular Monday night game who groans when we mention playing Pathfinder. He's quite liking second edition.

I'm a bit annoyed that I'm probably going to end up running some first edition in our local con in a couple of weeks time, If I don't run or play we won't be able to make the five table minimum to run the Gallowspire special.

So, yeah. Horses for courses. I'm all in on second edition.

1st Edition needed an overhaul because things were already broken with 3.5 ruleset. In my opinion they blew it out of the water and I cant wait to see what they will do next. Personally I'm excited about Second edition and my group hasn't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGM View Post
    Personally I'm excited about Second edition and my group hasn't looked back.
    Me and my group too.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

Me and my group really love Pathfinder 2, and ever since we made the move we really don't want to play Pathfinder 1 again, and we most likely won't ever miss it either.
    Fantasy Grounds Official Discord Server
    [ULTIMATE LICENSE HOLDER]
    [FGU BACKER]

I only switched from 5e because youtube recommended the pf2e dev videos and I recognized Logan from 4e books. Amazed as the entire video they was all about the object based keyword design and every monster has unique abilities and encounters are easy to build - sounded a lot like 4e. Doubt I will go back to 5e as pf2e hit the sweet spot of what I want. Already like Paizo much better as a publisher; the pacing, the sub discount, free pdfs and pdf discount on FG is great. I was someone that hated 3.x/pf1 so never thought I would be here. Even seeing Paizo devs on their forum is very cool, tells me they are just as much fans as we are.

Quote Originally Posted by yarnevk View Post
    Amazed as the entire video they was all about the object based keyword design and every monster has unique abilities and encounters are easy to build - sounded a lot like 4e. Doubt I will go back to 5e as pf2e hit the sweet spot of what I want.
    That's interesting, I was big into 3rd and then 3.5. When 4e came out I tried it and decided that I really didn't like it. I expected to like it, I was reading all the web content and really looking forward to it. It just never really worked for me. That's when I found Pathfinder and thought it was much more my thing. When 5e came out I gave it a go as well, I found it lacking in depth and options. Like 2e but with slightly saner maths. Wizards said there were going to be options in the DMG that would let you modify 5e to be like 3rd, so we persevered until they released the DMG and then it was like "well where are these options you said would be here?". Final verdict, Ok but not worth leaving Pathfinder for.

From that point of view, it seems we're at different ends of a spectrum. But we're both finding things to like in PF2e. It seems to have depth and balance. I'm enjoying playing 1st level characters again. I'm really hoping it keeps its balance into the higher levels. It was one of their design goals and they seem to have got a really solid game in the early levels, so there is hope.

Edit: I forgot I wanted to say. The problems they were solving were the same problems that 4e and 5e were trying to solve. It's not surprising if some of the solutions look similar.
    Last edited by Ampersandrew; November 13th, 2019 at 09:47.

Personally, I can't stand 3.x or PF1e. I'll play Ad&d, D&D 4e but not those. I really, really liked PF2e and now I finally got to meet Golarion.

And that is a good sweet spot for them to be in, I always thought it would be a pf1 update that could be ignored, but they really went clean slate on mechanics yet kept the same flavor. The mechanics learned a lot from 5e/4e with what worked and did not work and surprised how many on reddit have been saying that 5e was their first RPG and are liking pf2e. Will be interesting to see how online table counts change at next years data dump.

Thread Information