STAR TREK 2d20
Page 4 of 5 First ... 2345 Last
    Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Quick correction, it's in video two.
    Thanks. Duly amended.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

Quote Originally Posted by Zacchaeus View Post
    Not sure what you mean. You can use the Mask in conjunction with LoS as demonstrated in video two here. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...112#post492112
    Sorry for the confusion. Late night for me .

To be clear here I am trying to describe my mixed use of three diffrent tools of charactyer vision to fix a problem :

1. The mask layer
    2. LOS
    3. Token visability

I know that the old Mask system works with the new LOS. What I was trying to suggest is has to be used if LOS needs a range limit. Since LOS alone does not work correctly in wide open spaces at all. The demonstration video hides some of the errors that get made because the map rooms are so small. If you have a torch to see in the dark the range of LOS is always limited by the torch. You still can't see outside of the radius of the available light. Even characters with 30 feet of night vison. Should carry a Bulleye Lamp with a bright search light mode just in case. A 120 feet focused torch beam with better range

The reason why I mention how the old system works is because it might offer a clue. On how to correct the issue in Unity with LOS distance limits. The old Mask Layer needed to be added and removed manually in classic. The current LOS system works better. Yet it gives players a huge advantage of long ranged sight when enabled. As a result we still need to use the Mask layer to limit it.

The trouble is the one is map based and the other is token based. So the controls can be awkward to use. I find myself unmasking an area and not covering it up again. For speed of play I fall back on using token visability to hide creatures in LOS but out of range.

Sorry if that still all sounds convaluted .

What I really want to do is just stop LOS giving players long range vision that was not there under FG classic. If we could just limit the radius of the LOS effect somehow. Until then we have to use a work a round to get past the problem.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; June 26th, 2020 at 15:47.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

Blog Entries
    You do know that the rules of 5E assume the players know where all combatants are even though a character might not?

I too would enjoy the functionality you are talking about, but it's also not RAW. The devs have stated they too would like to enhance LOS functionality with vision types, light sources, etc. But it's not something they will work on until the other aspects of FGU reach parity with FGC.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    You do know that the rules of 5E assume the players know where all combatants are even though a character might not? I too would enjoy the functionality you are talking about, but it's also not RAW.
    That is just total metagaming double talk. RAW assumes team view but never the assumtion that "30 feet range vision" should now read "infinite range vision". This has never changed in any edition. The only exception is where combatants can be seen futher that expected because you used their own light source against them. Never mind another rules hunt to prove me wrong. A simple look outside at night proves this hands down.

The devs have stated they too would like to enhance LOS functionality with vision types, light sources, etc. But it's not something they will work on until the other aspects of FGU reach parity with FGC.
    I know that as well. From a software development point of view this way down the list of things to do. In fact I would not even put it in the backlog. It would be parked outside the workflow in the "nice to have but not soon" pile of stuff. We have never needed it before now and there just so much better things to do. It is also an edge case issue which makes me even less inclined to support changes.

In fact it is even more low priority since there is work around that mitigates the problem in first place. The only reason why I brough my whole point up. Is although the new LOS function is there. It is still important to understand the Mask Layer and Token Visability. There is an avalabile work around to LOS range using the three tools together. That might be useful for some folk if they need a solution today.
    Last edited by Lonewolf; June 27th, 2020 at 05:11.
    Ultimate License holder.
    Over 10 years on Fantasy Grounds !

Is it possible for the LoS / FoW setting to have a toggle between 'DM' view and 'Player' or 'Party' view - ie, in DM view the unexplored sections are dark grey, but in Player or Party view they are black. The 3 different shaded areas remain the same, just make the unexplored bit dark gray for the DM view, and Black for the player view.
    I am using FGU as the DM for a tabletop game, and want to display the map as the players see it on a second screen the players can see. As the LoS system stands currently (ignoring the range issue, that's for later) I can't show the players the map from my FGU session as it reveals the interior of buildings / rooms / etc.
    To keep the 'licensing' aspect of it, give this option to only Ultimate license holders, that way you are not giving away a feature that means players don't need a paid license to take advantage of the power of Maps and LoS.

Start a second instance of FG and join the host using localhost in the join by box. This will give you a player view which you can then project onto your second screen.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

My players has problem with LOS. Unexplored portions of map are shown grey and not dark. Is it a bug or a feature?
    fg_los_issue.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinboy View Post
    My players has problem with LOS. Unexplored portions of map are shown grey and not dark. Is it a bug or a feature?
    fg_los_issue.jpg
    Welcome!

No, this is not a bug. Unexplored areas are currently displayed in whatever color the window background is. This is defined by the ruleset and theme. Some rulesets/themes use black, grey or tan. change your theme if you want a different appearance.

Problems? See; How to Report Issues, Bugs & Problems
    On Licensing & Distributing Community Content
    Community Contributions: Gemstones, 5E Quick Ref Decal, Adventure Module Creation, Dungeon Trinkets, Balance Disturbed, Dungeon Room Descriptions
    Note, I am not a SmiteWorks employee or representative, I'm just a user like you.

Here is a description of how to get the gray unexplored area to black:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...l=1#post531039

Welcome!

No, this is not a bug. Unexplored areas are currently displayed in whatever color the window background is. This is defined by the ruleset and theme. Some rulesets/themes use black, grey or tan. change your theme if you want a different appearance.
    Oh, I see, thank you

kevininrussia, thanks, will try!

Thread Information