5E Product Walkthrough Playlist
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldsf View Post
    My friend is trying to connect. His FGU is saying that it's attempting to make a direct connection to my [Static IP address:1802].
    I had set up a static IP by going into Windows 10 using these instructions: https://portforward.com/networking/s...windows-10.htm
    I had looked up my router's make and model and used the instructions here: https://portforward.com/arris/tg3482g/
    Because I have XFinity, when I went to Port Forwarding on my router, it said "Managing your home network settings is now easier than ever. Visit xfinity.com/myxfi to set up port forwards, among many other features and settings."

On the XFinity website I went to Advanced > Port Forwarding and set up UDP/1802 over there. There, I had to choose between my [Desktop Name] and [Desktop Name with a -3 at the end]. I chose the one with -3 at the end. I don't know if that makes a difference? It currently displays

At this time my laptop sitting next to me is able to connect to my Campaign.

Any insights?

UPDATE: My friend sent me a screenshot with the following error message. I don't know if it's enlightening:

"[3/29/2020 9:54:26 AM] Launcher scene starting.
    [3/29/2020 9:54:44 AM] Attempting direct connection to server. [xx.x.x.xxx:1802] [[[[[[I hid the IP address]]]]]]]
    [3/29/2020 9:56:36 AM] [ERROR] Unable to update session list from lobby server."

Meanwhile, he reports that it's still attempting the direct connection.
    Since that message, I tried to host by choosing "Cloud" instead of "LAN." It gave me the message "Starting cloud server mode." And it hangs interminably.

I thought that my Port Forwarding and Static IP were preventing me from hosting a campaign via the cloud. So I reverted those changes. But when I try to host it still hangs on that message "Starting cloud server mode."

Now suddenly it says "Unable to check lobby server."

This has been beyond frustrating and it's a dealbreaker for me and we're going to use Roll20 today. I hope the devs can provide assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldsf View Post
    Since that message, I tried to host by choosing "Cloud" instead of "LAN." It gave me the message "Starting cloud server mode." And it hangs interminably.

I thought that my Port Forwarding and Static IP were preventing me from hosting a campaign via the cloud. So I reverted those changes. But when I try to host it still hangs on that message "Starting cloud server mode."

Now suddenly it says "Unable to check lobby server."

This has been beyond frustrating and it's a dealbreaker for me and we're going to use Roll20 today. I hope the devs can provide assistance.
    I see that the lobby issue was universal. If there are any insights on how I can host on my computer instead of having to rely on the server I would appreciate it. (Please see my last few posts.)

XFinity has an extra layer of security. See here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...sers-Important

So, setup your port forwarding as you had before (But you’ll need to verify exactly which entry to select for the GMs computer), then get someone to try to connect to your external IP address. Once they fail to connect follow the instructions in that thread to allow them through.
    Private Messages: My inbox is forever filling up with PMs. Please don't send me PMs unless they are actually private/personal messages. General FG questions should be asked in the forums - don't be afraid, the FG community don't bite and you're giving everyone the chance to respond and learn!

I have Xfinity internet and didn't have to do anything special for players to connect to my computer through LAN. I just gave them the external IP (as shown on the home menu for FGU) and a port I made up. I didn't use 1802 as my port though, I used a random number. If anyone in my house has to connect, they just use the internal IP (as opposed to the external) and the same port. I had to do this yesterday because the update made it impossible for me to host in the cloud. The new update today seems to have fixed that.

Overall though, I didn't experience any major issues with LAN either over the internet or locally. I think I'm going to use it now over cloud, because I have a player in one of my games that can't seem to connect to the cloud. I'm hoping to do a few test connects with him before our next game, both through cloud and LAN. He does have Xfinity too, and we haven't tried LAN yet with him. So it may be different for players with xfinity to connect to LAN. he is the only player I know what provider he has, so I'm nt sure what the others that can connect to both are using.

Thread Information