Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: It's not fair

  1. #1

    It's not fair

    A year ago, shortly after publishing, I bought a Traveler rulset. And I think it's not fair that a year later MGT2 appears, for which MGT1 owners have to pay a colossal amount. The first rulset has not been completed, it turned out to be full of mistakes, there are still no additions and suddenly we are deprived of support in order to buy a new rulset, with practically the same content, but more colorful and a little better (I hope) refined.

    I suspect that this is dictated by the rules of cooperation of the makers of rulset with SmiteWorks - they get a percentage on sales for 12 months from the publication of their work. So after 12 months they care about publishing a new rulset, and old ... you can forget about it.

    I think it's not fair, owners of the older version of the rulset should be able to buy a new version with a significant discount, especially if in terms of substantive content, not much changes there.

    I admit that while I think FG is a very good tool for running RPG sessions and I appreciate people who develop it and build new rulsets, this approach is disappointing for me. I feel stretched to buy an underdone product that has almost no chance of improvement.

    I will gladly return the underdeveloped MGT1 rulset and buy MGT2.

  2. #2
    I fully agree with Girwan. Moreover there is another abandoned product named WOIN. There were a lot of promises of further development but no serious efforts were done. Both MGT1 and WOIN are at beta version and i want my money back.

  3. #3
    I can't speak for WOIN as I don't follow that development but I do know that a lot of improvement has gone into MGT1 over the course of the last year.

    That said I do think that some sort of upgrade path, similar to the SWD to SWADE option should have been made available. There are some who prefer MGT1 but I think the majority would upgrade to MGT2 and were really here early and being punished for it. Speaking only for myself.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Girwan View Post
    A year ago, shortly after publishing, I bought a Traveler rulset. And I think it's not fair that a year later MGT2 appears, for which MGT1 owners have to pay a colossal amount. The first rulset has not been completed, it turned out to be full of mistakes, there are still no additions and suddenly we are deprived of support in order to buy a new rulset, with practically the same content, but more colorful and a little better (I hope) refined.

    I suspect that this is dictated by the rules of cooperation of the makers of rulset with SmiteWorks - they get a percentage on sales for 12 months from the publication of their work. So after 12 months they care about publishing a new rulset, and old ... you can forget about it.

    I think it's not fair, owners of the older version of the rulset should be able to buy a new version with a significant discount, especially if in terms of substantive content, not much changes there.

    I admit that while I think FG is a very good tool for running RPG sessions and I appreciate people who develop it and build new rulsets, this approach is disappointing for me. I feel stretched to buy an underdone product that has almost no chance of improvement.

    I will gladly return the underdeveloped MGT1 rulset and buy MGT2.
    Morning,

    I'm still updating MGT1 so if you want to play with it, you can. Most of the MGT2 updates will be in MGT1 (ie the Psionic update, the Worlds update - v1.0.12).

    Now I agree that a discount for all people who brought MGT1 would be very nice, that's not upto me.

    Cheers,
    MBM


    Quote Originally Posted by Santyagoffg View Post
    I fully agree with Girwan. Moreover there is another abandoned product named WOIN. There were a lot of promises of further development but no serious efforts were done. Both MGT1 and WOIN are at beta version and i want my money back.
    Morning,

    MGT1 is not in Beta, it's v1.0.11 at the moment, and v1.0.12 is almost ready. I myself still play MGT1 and MGT2.

    WOIN is not in Beta, it's v1.0.7. I've been working with NOW for it, not sure when that would be ready but it's happening.

    Cheers,
    MBM

  5. #5
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Each ruleset should continue to evolve over time. We have a lot of older rulesets and some newer rulesets which have less functionality or automation than other rulesets. As far as I know, both rulesets contain about the same level of features and functionality at this point. I know that with MGT1 and MGT2, there is interest in adding ship combat support to these. Our new ruleset developer is working to add spacecraft combat to Starfinder and then MadBeardMan will have a good example to refer back to for addition into MGT1 and MGT2. They won't be copy and paste capable, so it will still require ruleset development to accomplish this.

    For each ruleset, what is most helpful for us is to include specific lists of features that you thing are essential, nice to have or completely broken. Nothing should be completely broken, then we would look at essential features and finally nice to have features.

    SmiteWorks would love to provide official and robust support for as many game systems as possible. Each of the mentions rulesets has significant more functionality and official data support that should far surpass what you would be able to accomplish using just the CoreRPG or MoreCore rulesets. How well these do financially helps drive interest from community developers to work under contract to build them. If you see a new ruleset pop out that you are interested in, buy it and try it out for 30 days. If you don't like the added support and data that it provides, return it for a full refund.

    MGT1 and MGT2 do seem to share a lot of common functionality, though. We can reach out to the publisher to see if they would be interested in allowing these two systems to be bundled for a discount.

    -Doug

  6. #6
    Hi Doug,

    My main concern is that from what I gather, Mongoose doesn't want MadBeardMan to expand support for 1E products. There a tons of core expansions, supplements, adventures and the like for MGT1 that are apparently off the table for development. If this is the case (and I'm not sure that it is but it is how it appears to be) then definitely some sort of bundle would be awesome. Won't matter to me as I already have both, but it could be helpful to get new customers.

    Basically, my thinking is that if MGT1 will only be the main rulebook and the tripwire adventure, it is like 5% of the rules. The ruleset is solid and does the job, but there is so much more to MGT1 that people would expect to be added (10 core books, 5 alien books, 16 supplements, referee aids, adventures, etc...). If it is not going to be expanded that should be clear at time purchase so that they can make an informed decision.

    I would rather MBM focus on MGT2, it is the current version and I personally feel it is better organized. I just feel for people that might be coming for the older version and not know there will never be more than there is without doing it themselves.

  7. #7
    Good news everyone.

    Matthew Sprange at Mongoose has agreed to allow a steep discount for buying Traveller 2E if you already own Traveller 1E.

    The discount grants $39.99 off the purchase of the 2E ruleset.

    If you already bought both products, please send an email to [email protected] and we can get you squared away.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ddavison View Post
    Good news everyone.

    Matthew Sprange at Mongoose has agreed to allow a steep discount for buying Traveller 2E if you already own Traveller 1E.

    The discount grants $39.99 off the purchase of the 2E ruleset.

    If you already bought both products, please send an email to [email protected] and we can get you squared away.
    You rock, Sir!

  9. #9
    Thanks for bringing your concerns to us so we could fix it.

    The discount is live already.

  10. #10
    Excellent! Thanks for this! I was on the fence for getting MT2, as I had already invested in MT1. For $10, though, it's a good deal!

    GBFF
    Ultimate Edition license holder - No License Needed to Play My Games (Need Demo Version of FG Downloaded)
    FG Community Developer:
    [Available]Millennium Knights, Savage Suzerain [In Progress]Several Others [Personal Use]Savage Rifts

    Currently running:
    AD&D 2e - Temple of Elemental Evil

    In planning:
    Way too many games!

    Timezone:
    Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) United States; GMT -4 hours

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in