FG Spreadshirt Swag

MacOS Catalina warnings for FG Classic

EDIT: Dammit, wish could edit titles. Wrote on phone during commute - meant WARNINGS, not earnings ...sigh...

Just occurred to me while reading about the Beta, I assume it is posted somewhere but didn’t see it immediately.

With the newest MAcOS update, FG (Classic) is no longer supported. What reminded me of this is the sale on Classic at the moment. While fine for Windows folks, as they need not upgrade for the foreseeable future to Unity version, for MacUsers who want to update from the prior MacOS to new one - it is critical to know FG will no longer run.

I play on Windows but I usually develop on Mac and run it there to test. I also occasionally play on it when cannot be in the den. Due to this, I do not plan on updating my MacBook until FGU is out of Beta into stable/full-support for what I own mode. I can wait, for all I like keeping on the edge with my OSes, I like the FG versatility option more

If my assessment is right, perhaps as a disclaimer in FG and FG Ultimare in store now that it will not work on Macs with whatever this new release is called I think Mojave.

Quote Originally Posted by Varsuuk View Post
    With the newest MAcOS update, FG (Classic) is no longer supported. What reminded me of this is the sale on Classic at the moment. While fine for Windows folks, as they need not upgrade for the foreseeable future to Unity version, for MacUsers who want to update from the prior MacOS to new one - it is critical to know FG will no longer run ...
    I'd like to chime in here.

Apple dropped support of 32 bit applications with the release of macOS Catalina (version 10.15), what this means is that WINE stopped working.
    (If you want more detail here is a thread in the WINEhq forum: [https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=32590])

Waiting to upgrade from Mojave (10.14) is an acceptable choice since this version is still receiving security updates, however if you are running Sierra (version 10.12) you should update (at least to Mohave) as Apple tends to only provide security updates for the most current 3 versions of macOS.

As mentioned, if you choose to update to Catalina (10.15) you loose 32 bit application support, and this is not a bad thing. Probably the best solution to this issue is to use a Hypervisor to run a guest OS in Catalina and run WINE/Fantasy Grounds in the guest OS. You can choose from Windows 10 (BONUS: DirextX support), or any Linux distro. My biased and absolutely unscientific suggestion is if you are going with a guest OS, go with Windows 10.

As for your choices of hypervisor software, the best choices are VMWare Fusion 11 or Parallels Desktop 15. As much as I dislike Parallels SaaS subscription revenue model, recent benchmarks conclusively demonstrate that Parallels Desktop 15 outperforms VMWare Fusion 11. Parallels Desktop 15 also supports all the cool new Catalina features like Sidecar (which is why I upgraded to Catalina).

I apologize beforehand if my post further confuses this issue, but that's what I do...
    Last edited by BubaDragon; October 31st, 2019 at 19:10.
    Code:
                            .         -=BuBaDragon=-
               _._           ( .   
             .'   `-. (\\     )    He ain't real smart,
           .'    )   `'  _\__'     but boy can he lift
          / (   (___ `.  ___^\_    heavy objects.....
          \ '^^^^^^ .\\-\___\\-`   
    *******`""""""") ;***********************************
                   |/
                   '

Nope, it is a good clarification and option giving.

I really didn’t consider the VM route because I stopped using it after first months back in 2013. It worked fine actually, but as time went on, I realized there was nothing in my VM (Parallels, I liked them best for performance too) that I didn’t have in Mac.

Office and Visual Studio being the exceptions. Originally FG was one but Mac one came out. Or rather it was made easier to use

Since then I realized I never use Visual (work is Linux so I didn’t need to keep up with Windows aspects and Eclipse was fine) and if I wanted I could load Mac Office but after trying it realized built in stuff for Mac was good enough. (I’m a primarily Windows user at home - just do a lot of coding and portable use on laptop)

So decided not to keep space allocated for an OS I wasn’t using and anytime I went to use, I had to update since it would be so long between uses.

But yeah, VM is good call for “holding pattern” to Neil Unity imo. But then I think everyone should upgrade when able to Unity lol but that’s me. I dig it may not be feasible early on for all folks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BubaDragon View Post
    I'd like to chime in here.

Apple dropped support of 32 bit applications with the release of macOS Catalina (version 10.15), what this means is that WINE stopped working.
    (If you want more detail here is a thread in the WINEhq forum: [https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=32590])

Waiting to upgrade from Mojave (10.14) is an acceptable choice since this version is still receiving security updates, however if you are running Sierra (version 10.12) you should update (at least to Mohave) as Apple tends to only provide security updates for the most current 3 versions of macOS.

As mentioned, if you choose to update to Catalina (10.15) you loose 32 bit application support, and this is not a bad thing. Probably the best solution to this issue is to use a Hypervisor to run a guest OS in Catalina and run WINE/Fantasy Grounds in the guest OS. You can choose from Windows 10 (BONUS: DirextX support), or any Linux distro. My biased and absolutely unscientific suggestion is if you are going with a guest OS, go with Windows 10.

As for your choices of hypervisor software, the best choices are VMWare Fusion 11 or Parallels Desktop 15. As much as I dislike Parallels SaaS subscription revenue model, recent benchmarks conclusively demonstrate that Parallels Desktop 15 outperforms VMWare Fusion 11. Parallels Desktop 15 also supports all the cool new Catalina features like Sidecar (which is why I upgraded to Catalina).

I apologize beforehand if my post further confuses this issue, but that's what I do...
    fotolia_88046591_xs.jpg
    "I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

- John Diefenbaker

RIP Canada, February 21, 2022

Thread Information