STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Carry Capacity Tables for Bipeds and Quadrupeds...

Attached is a spreadsheet with tables for all sizes of Pathfinder bipeds and quadrupeds. It also includes custom calculation fields for any STR value. It should also serve as a great gaming utility for anyone who wants to look up encumbrance values. If you see any problems with it, let me know and I will correct them.

HoloGnome's Pathfinder Encumbrance Tables for Bipeds and Quadrupeds v1.0.0
    Last edited by HoloGnome; October 29th, 2019 at 05:24.

Thank you very much

Carrying Capacity is still not working properly in v3.3.9. The fix requires changes to math and also requires 2 places of precision, rather than 1. But, that being said, there is still no precision (of any kind) showing up in 3.3.9. Please check the carrying capacity precision requirements for the Pathfinder SRD (2 places) and test code against the spec before releasing. Thx!

Hi

Can you test this extension? I tried to fix this, but I didn't check the formulas (on the first sight they look okay; but I am 8 hours over my bed time so I tried to do this fast )

I increased the precision to 2 decimals (always rounded down) and I realized that there were some cases where some numbers had two or more successive roundings involved which is likely to produce rounding errors; thence, I made sure that the rounding is done only once at the very end and not also in intermediate steps to avoid rounding errors (which hopefully resolves the wrong numbers you are still seeing)

Also beware: The encumbrance code is only for bipeds not for quadrupeds. This means that the multiplier needed for the encumbrance definition-window for quadrupeds is not the same as described here https://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm

I mean that the size modifiers of the weight has the ones of bipeds (like small = 3/4 and not = 1 as for quadrupeds). So, when you want to have correct values for quadrupeds then either change the size in the notes tab to Medium and then use the standard modifiers, or keep e.g. small there and then multiply the modifier given in https://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm for quadrupeds with the inverted size modifier of bipeds (inverting, to cancel the accounted modifier of bipeds), so the modifier in FG of a small quadruped would be then 4/3 = 1.333333... (when you type such periodic numbers with enough length FG should correctly calculate it). But it may be easier to keep the size of quadrupeds to medium in the notes tab then (when you change the size in the notes tab the encumbrance limits get updated but not the other size modifiers Effects with SIZE involved may be then wrong of course, then the "adjusted" modifier, "inverted biped modifier" * "quadruped modifier", is surely the better approach)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Kelrugem; December 15th, 2019 at 05:19.

This should already be addressed in the Test channel. So, no extension is necessary unless you can't wait for next release.

Regards,
    JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wizard View Post
    This should already be addressed in the Test channel. So, no extension is necessary unless you can't wait for next release.

Regards,
    JPG
    ah, cool, thanks a lot, I didn't think about looking into the test channel first
    Last edited by Kelrugem; December 14th, 2019 at 16:08.

Thanks, Kelrugem. MW - does this mean you have implemented it to support all the items in the SRD and tested it, etc.? Are quadrupeds implemented? Thx.

I have set it up based on the formula for bipeds. I have no plans to do quadrupeds.

JPG

As outlined above you can already simulate quadrupeds with the existing code When you want to keep the correct size in the notes tab (such that the biped modifier is already used in the encumbrance calculation) then use the following modifiers for quadrupeds in the definition/setting window for encumbrance (opening by clicking on its magnifying glass; hopefully I didn't miscalculate myself):

Fine 2
    Diminutive 2
    Tiny 1.5
    Small 4/3 = 1.33333...
    Medium 1.5
    Large 1.5
    Huge 1.5
    Gargantuan 1.5
    Colossal 1.5

This is basically the outcome of my formula of the adjusted modifier where you have to be aware of that there is already the modifier of bipeds involved (therefore e.g. 1.5 = 24/16 for colossal and so on) Therefore I see no need in an implementation for quadrupeds in the code, maybe only for user friendliness because one expects that the modifier number field for the encumbrance has the same numerical meaning/value as in the core rules
    Last edited by Kelrugem; December 15th, 2019 at 03:37.

Just testing my quadruped solution with my extension or test server: Are you sure that your spreadsheet is correct, HoloGnome? As far as I remember the number for the "light" field should be a third of the heavy one and the medium is two-third of the heavy one. But this is not always the case for your tables I looked at (the "heavy" number fits). (Beware that the official tables, where no numbers after the comma are displayed for bipeds, probably just always round down their values such that it looks less than a third and so on. So the official tables themselves are not really precise after the comma and therefore one has to be cautious about deriving formulas just by looking at the tables I guess the idea behind it was just the "taking thirds" approach and that's actually what the code does )

As far as I can see after a very fast skim: Your spreadsheet has also sometimes successive roundings involved in their formulas such that rounding errors arise; this is due to that your tables refer to the medium size table where the values already got rounded such that they may get rounded again in the new table (In general regards rounding: only round at the very end of the calculation to avoid rounding errors, otherwise the formulas have to be adjusted when one wants to round also at intermediate steps. For example rather take the heavy value in the medium table and take thirds again of that)

So, it could also be that your spreadsheet has rounding errors, too, such that you of course never see exactly these values in FG
    Last edited by Kelrugem; December 15th, 2019 at 05:03.

Thread Information