STAR TREK 2d20
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

dropping connections

Anyone able to help explain why FG has, in the last few months, decided to keep dropping my players from fg and then reconnecting them? I use a hard wired connection and been using the same router/modem as I was before with zero issues until recently. I use Team Speak as my voice chat program and we never get kicked from that. Its rather odd and I have restarted router/modem before sessions, I keep all my shared images and shared information to a bare min. Never had these issues before, but in the last few months its becoming a annoying problem that I just can't take anymore. Sucks to have players in the middle of combat keep disconnecting and having to reconnect. Any suggestions would be helpful. I read through the forums and a lot of the issues people are having is with wifi, which I am not using.

The most likely cause (assuming you have ruled out memory issues) would be router based. Possibly flood protection or parental controls. Also make sure that if you are using Windows Defender as your antivirus that you delete any and all rules that have built up there and create a new one. In fact do this for any anti virus - I just know that WD does this kind of thing. The same goes for any other protection you have like Malwarebytes or similar programs.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

would a router change its settings without me changing it? Same modem/router I have used for a while now and never had any issues. Will try disabling some stuff and see what happens with my security bit defender. I have not changed a single setting myself, so at a loss.

Bit defender is another AV which I’ve seen people have issues with. And yes settings can change without your intervention. Make sure also that your network is still set to private.
    If there is something that you would like to see in Fantasy Grounds that isn't currently part of the software or if there is something you think would improve a ruleset then add your idea here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/featu...rerequests.php

ok thanks will play around with it and see if it changes or gets better. If it doesn't, I will be reaching out for more advanced problem solving.

Quote Originally Posted by bukkyo View Post
    would a router change its settings without me changing it?
    I have seen automatic router firmware updates that change settings.

Update
    Some how my domain was changed to public without me knowing about it and I changed that before my game last night. Still had issues, but today I went in and deleted all rules for inbound and outbound rules in Windows defender. Going to see if there are any drops from FG for a buddy who logged in for me to test the connection. In addition, I opened task manager and I am using around 700 to 800 mbs in memory (722.2 mb when writing this). Fingers crossed that this solves the issue. Sucks having players drop during the game and need this issue resolved. Will post later with results of my testing.

You'll want to check how much memory your players are using as well. Player memory use can be much higher than the DMs since things are stored differently for players than for the DM.

Update
    After testing for two and a half hours now,the one player has not lost connection. His memory usage is at 364.5mbs (limit is 3 gigs if I remember correctly for this program to run well? Not sure if that's a combined total between everyone or per player). Everything seems to be working well enough, but the true test will be when everyone logs in next Sunday for our game. I will update again on Monday next week.

Thread Information