FG Spreadshirt Swag
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Necessary Evil

Necessary Evil

I recently bought NE Explorer's Edition and NE Breakout physical copies on sale at Noble Knight Games. I decided to check it out to see if available here and saw it was, or at least the base Setting was. However, it has the cover of the original Necessary Evil edition (not familiar with it or when it came out.) I do not know what has changed, if it was minor or errata or whatever other than I read the included adventure campaign was extended a little more.

Wondering if it is the newer "Explorer's Edition" that our FG one is based on or the shorter adventure one? If it is the latter, it could be extended on your own if like me you had the materials. Still, am curious - plus, since not familiar with much of the SW stuff other than Deadlands, is there anything about this that has "fallen behind" vs other current SW stuff (not talking it being SWD vs SWADE)

Thoughts?

Thanks

It was a long time ago but I thought I had converted both editions of NE to FG.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Yours are still on combat round 6

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.
    First GM to post a game for the original FG Con!

Checking the xml of the module, it has all 11 episodes of the Explorer's Edition rather than the original 10 in the Revised Edition.
    My players just defeated an army, had a dogfight with aliens, machine-gunned the zombies, stormed the tower, became Legendary and died heroically

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

Awesome

Going to read through it and if after my group finishes “No Man’s Land” tabletop (WWI) next week (at the final part now) I will run it remotely instead with FG since my friend is on Long Island and we are in Westchester nowadays. Plus let’s my son finally try out FG play and he being a video games kid, might really get a kick out of it since combines the two.

I bought the Breakout modules in addition to NE cos, I lived next to Manhattan growing up in Astoria, Queens and then of course I worked there most of my adult life not to mentioned parties there . Figured an “Escape From NYC” thing might be a blast.

Just confirming as I dont see it- NE is in the store, but Breakout is not. Correct?

Yeah, I didn’t see it either. Figure can use the included rule set campaign and switch to tabletop when continue to Breakout.

Haven’t played a superhero game since MSH in 80s.

Keep in mind that Breakout is a prequel to the main NE campaign. I want to say it starts at a little lower power level, too. It's been a while since I ran them, though, but I want to say you would probably treat them as two separate games (meaning different characters, really). I can't remember for certain if it's better to run Breakout first, however, because I don't remember what spoilers, if any, it would provide to the main NE game. I'd definitely suggest reading through them to decide how you might like to proceed, though. That being said, I played plenty of MSH back in the day (and fairly recently as we did a game of it again maybe 10 years ago) and it can be fun but it definitely has issues. I think Savage Worlds Supers, OTOH, does a pretty good job of the whole Supers thing. I will say that, personally, I prefer working with the standard set powers at game start where you advances don't increase your powers, they are just standard Advances. It makes it a lot easier as a GM to have a solid handle on player power levels and what to expect. The advancing powers things, OTOH, usually means starting off a bit lower power than may be appropriate or that you might plan for while by end game the PCs may be a bit too powerful and you find yourself having to adjust everything. Just something we found in play, anyway. YMMV.
    Lenny Zimmermann
    Metairie, LA

Cool only read start of NE Breakout. And overview of the main book. Explains some confusion I had.

It may then be more fun to run BE even if still do two diff sets because I like timelines but will wait until read it through since other factors can come into play where makes better playability to go in published order (some novels with prequels are like this)

I played to convert Breakout, but haven't got around to it yet, I did start creating a theme...
    https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forum...4&d=1519418811

Will have to do them after HOE Worm's Turn unless IZ 3.0 is out by then...

Get Savage
    Ultimate License Holder.

Nice theme!

Thread Information